Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 AM

13,956 posts, read 39,602,601 times

Advertisements

Your Friend could fence in a seperate area of the yard for her. Are these dogs Spayed? Has she tried to take them thru Obedience? Maybe IF we knew more about the Dogs & your friends we could give Her advice?? Breeds? Sizes of the Dogs?? What have they tried? Do the 2 girls that fight get along with any of the other dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 AM

29,271 posts, read 22,718,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
I care deeply and value my friendship with them, they are like family to me. This is why I asked for some outside opinions.

When I do move I'll just have to be strong and hope that this doesn't hurt our friendship. I know she says she's tired of rotating dogs and I agree it takes a lot. I applaud her that, since some people would send this dog anywhere.

They told me that before veterinarians would euthanize animals people used to take them out back and shoot them. Neither one of owners could do it so they asked a another friend of theirs. It was about a week or so ago I got a text saying that they couldn't do it and are going to keep her or give her to me when I moved......

Thanks to all that responded with thoughts, opinions, and concerns.
I'm very sorry for you. That's a very hard place to be in.
I was once talked into taking a puppy I didn't want by one of my family members, and did so against my better judgement. As in your situation, the pup turned out to be just as bad as I thought he would be, and like your problem, the pup had big dominance issues. I knew from the first he was that way.

He made life for me and my old dog hell for a year, but I found him a good home where he was a single dog, and he's loved there, and has no problems.

But before that home was found, the pup cost me several hundred dollars in vet surgery for both dogs, more for a ruined deck, which became the object of the pup's attention after he was separated from my old dog, and much grief from some of my friends who thought I should keep him.

I would have kept him if I had been dog-less. All he really needed was to be the only dog in a household. But my old dog is still healthy, active for his age, and has been my fine companion for very many good years. I could not let him suffer, and the dominance problem never got any better. The pup was the only dog my old guy ever fought with before or since.

I hope they find someone who wants a dog but doesn't have one now. She may be just fine when she's away from those other dogs and those people. After all, the dog is being stressed just as much as the people are.

But don't be the volunteer problem fixer for them. They have to find a better home for their dog on their own. If you take over, they may never be content with any decisions you make, and your relationship could be more seriously damaged than if you decline.
You have very valid and easily understood reasons for not taking the dog. They may be disappointed, but they will understand your polite refusal.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,991,982 times
personally if they decide your friendship isnt worth it simply because you do not want to take THEIR problem on...then there not realy your friends now are they?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,438,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Your Friend could fence in a seperate area of the yard for her. Are these dogs Spayed? Has she tried to take them thru Obedience? Maybe IF we knew more about the Dogs & your friends we could give Her advice?? Breeds? Sizes of the Dogs?? What have they tried? Do the 2 girls that fight get along with any of the other dogs?

All of the dogs are spayed and the male is neutered. No she has not, she doesn't have: a) time b) money c) see no need (DIY).

ALL the females are mutts the male is the only "purebreed." The dominant female is a hound mix, medium sized. The daughters dog is medium sized is a collie mix, and the other dog is a long hair daschund mix, small sized.

They have tried nothing else besides the first option ( shoot her), give her to me or( someone else that wants her), or continue rotating dogs.

Only the dominant female fights the other dogs. All other dogs get along with one another.

Before the dominant female would only fight their daughters dog, now she's aggressive with all the dogs.

I know this is very confusing.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,438,678 times
Wildnfree, Just decline to take the dog. The dog has made her way to the top of that pack, fighting and dominating the other dogs. Alpha dogs do not have to behave this way, beta dogs are often the culprit. I wonder, how long before she hurts the child, either purposely or while she is attacking one of the other dogs. These people are not responsible owners, and they are trying to pawn off their mistakes on you. For the sake of your dog that you already own, and for your future great dane and plans you have, do not take this dog into your home, or your parents home. Read some of the rental threads about how difficult it is to find housing for pet owners. Also, if this dog is as aggressive as you've stated, you will financially and legally be taking on a time bomb. Imagine if you lived ina building, and this dog attacked another dog, you would be kicked out, and made to pay financially and legally. Don't borrow trouble, make the decision that you know is right. And as another poster pointed out, if these folks don't understand, you need new friends. It is their responsibility to re-home this dog.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 AM

1,480 posts, read 3,970,531 times
Quote:
The previous option was to have someone shoot her, then they said they couldn't do it. So they offered her to me
WHAT!! they are to cheap to take her to the vet and have her gently euthed? what is wrong here with that thought? .. They honestly dont want the issues but they want the dog so if YOU take her they get to see THEIR dog and not have to deal with the crap she causes ..
Just say no and be done with this .. YOUR best interests arent being met, just theirs ..

Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,438,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
I care deeply and value my friendship with them, they are like family to me. This is why I asked for some outside opinions.

When I do move I'll just have to be strong and hope that this doesn't hurt our friendship. I know she says she's tired of rotating dogs and I agree it takes a lot. I applaud her that, since some people would send this dog anywhere.

They told me that before veterinarians would euthanize animals people used to take them out back and shoot them. Neither one of owners could do it so they asked a another friend of theirs. It was about a week or so ago I got a text saying that they couldn't do it and are going to keep her or give her to me when I moved......

Thanks to all that responded with thoughts, opinions, and concerns.
They are just using the "guilt card" on you. If you take the dog, you may not find a place to rent, and even if you are able too, the LL charge extra deposits for animals usually. Also, if this is aggressive to other dogs, your neighbors will get you evicted as soon as the dog acts aggressively. now, we can all sense that you feel beholden to these folks, they helped you somehow, and most probably they could count of you to help them to. But, this is not the help, taking the dog is not your way to pay them back. Hope you make the decision you can live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs