Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:45 AM

795 posts, read 4,538,674 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me about their dogs who have arthritis.

Does your dog seem to do WORSE in hot/humid weather, hot/dry weather, cold/humid weather, or cold/dry weather?

Also, if you could give me the temperature you consider to be hot or cold because we're in North Carolina and we may have other ideas about these two things (especially cold ).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 06:27 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
I keep my dogs on Glyc/MSM/Chond... pills, we live in FL so i don't know how they would be in the cold climate. Plus they eat raw food, so that helps as well.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
ShepsMom, do you purchase read-made raw food, or do you prepare it yourselves. My vetsuggested the same Glc/MSM/Chondrotin for my dogs. I've noticed lately, when the weather gets a bit more damp, he starts favoring his rear legs, and sits down a lot on our walks. I can't take him jogging anymore, or must do a seriously abridged route with alternating running a block, then slowly walking, my picking him up and walking. then repeat! Hey, it works in that he's happy! So, I know the dampness is affecting him. In the dry cold (cold!) of winter time Montana, he was his usual little ball of fire - no overt problems.

I feed him a wonderful dry dog food (wonderful, small company), that uses only human grade ingreditents. He thrives on this food. But I have considered raw food for him, even just to try, and would really love suggestion as to how you make it, or the sources you use to get it?

~Thanks~

Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times
humidity/ hot is easier on the joints ....swimming will extend their life and easy their pain.
our collie swam every day for 12 of her 16 years(parents moved). She got arthritis when she was 14.
We consider cold 45 or below in Florida land =)

Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
But I have considered raw food for him, even just to try, and would really love suggestion as to how you make it, or the sources you use to get it?

~Thanks~
Here's one resource: BARF Diet - Healthy & Natural Raw Food For Dogs & Cats, Pet Health Care Food & Nutrition Products Supply Online

Old 05-09-2008, 08:37 PM

Now I'm confused...the vet said that high humidity is bad for dogs' joints (or maybe he was just talking about Missouri - no offense to folks!). Is my dog pulling my leg because he wants to move to Montana???? The little bugger, if it's so...

Actually, I used to take him down to the river to swim. He'd fetch sticks I'd throw in. He's twelve plus now, and limps sometimes; I don't think he has the strength to go swim there anymore. Maybe a small swimming pool would do...swimming's a great idea. They actually have a vet here in Portland who does hydrotherapy for dogs!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM

Thank you, leorah! I'll check it out.....

Old 05-09-2008, 08:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
A year and a half ago, we moved from South/Coastal Texas where it was really humid and hot 8-9 months of the year (we're talking 90s with at least 70 percent humidity) to West/Central Texas where we have seasons -- Spring and Fall are in the high 70s, with cool nights; Summer has dry heat with mostly 90s, occasionally 100s in July and August; and winter is typically 50 during the day, 30s and sometimes below at night, maybe 3 snow events with a little accumulation and a couple of ice events during the season.

My elderly collie suffered badly in South Texas. He had difficulty walking and often yelped in pain. We tried Rimadyl but it made him sick and I did use glucosamine. (He also got frequent yeast infections of the skin, but that's another issue. I had to keep his fur groomed short and give him special baths.) The vet was recommending that I put him to sleep before we moved because he didn't think he'd survive the move!

I didn't take that advice and I'm so glad I didn't. He's doing SO much better here without the humidity! He moves better and faster and never yelps or cries. His skin has improved a whole lot, too! I don't have to keep his fur short anymore! (I have Lupus with bad joint pain and I'm doing better here, too, in the dry heat! My joints and tissues aren't swelling nearly as much!)

Old 05-10-2008, 09:59 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
ShepsMom, do you purchase read-made raw food, or do you prepare it yourselves. My vetsuggested the same Glc/MSM/Chondrotin for my dogs. I've noticed lately, when the weather gets a bit more damp, he starts favoring his rear legs, and sits down a lot on our walks. I can't take him jogging anymore, or must do a seriously abridged route with alternating running a block, then slowly walking, my picking him up and walking. then repeat! Hey, it works in that he's happy! So, I know the dampness is affecting him. In the dry cold (cold!) of winter time Montana, he was his usual little ball of fire - no overt problems.

I feed him a wonderful dry dog food (wonderful, small company), that uses only human grade ingreditents. He thrives on this food. But I have considered raw food for him, even just to try, and would really love suggestion as to how you make it, or the sources you use to get it?

~Thanks~
I don't usually buy pre-made food, because it gets really expensive this way. I do however, buy pre-made exotic foods, which i can't get at the store. Rabbit/Buffalo/Ostrich/Duck/ETC... They only get this type of food may be ones a month, just for variety.

I buy most of their food at the grocery stores, i look for sales, and buy bulk. Local ethnic stores offering quiet few interesting foods that regular store don't carry, Save-A-Lot (if you have one) has cheaper meats/bones then other stores. So you really have to bargain, and buying bulk is always cheaper, you can visit your local butcher shop and see if they can sell/or give away scraps that are not used.
Just be creative and hunt LOL

Old 05-10-2008, 06:03 PM

795 posts, read 4,538,674 times
thank you teatime and kelly3120...

and i think i got from you shepsmom and seebee that your dogs as well have problems with the humidity...

i suspected from my shih tzu's behavior that the heat/humidity combination might be the worst. he really suffers with this particular combo, even on previcox (an arthritis med).... but...

also he has a heart problem, and so i was trying to rule out which of his two problems (arthritis or heart) was slowing him down right now. but it sort of is a moot point at this point because on friday he possibly blew out his back, or in medical terms, herniated a disc.

so, now we're on to a completely different worry.

when they get old, does it ever end? rhetorical question, no need to answer. just venting...hate to see him in pain.

i do thank you for your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs