Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM

810 posts, read 1,764,034 times

Advertisements

Hi I have 2 dogs 1 is a lab mix (big dog about 130lbs - she's on a diet hopefully she'll get down in weight but that's another story) and a German shepherd about 90 lbs.
I was just wondering how often do you give your dogs bones - knuckle bones, femur bones etc. I try to give them bones about 3 times a week as a treat and to keep their teeth clean. I know I spoil the dogs a bit but I don't want to over spoil them.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,576,614 times
hello fellow Californian. I noticed nobody has responded yet, and I don't think I can offer much. It does seem to me that 3 times a week is too often - why are their teeth so in need of cleaning? Are you feeding kibble or soft foods?
I have been giving my dogs bones lately, only because we are having rainy weather and I want to give them something to occupy themselves.
Do your dogs devour the bones? Mine don't, once they are clean, they are done with them.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,893 times
I agree with Claudhopper its seems a bit excessive to me. I feed raw and while I do feed bones its usually once a week.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Thank you for the replies. I was thinking maybe I was giving them too many treats with the bones - with the weather the pups have been indoors mostly and I'm trying to give them something to do, I can only play chase the laser light and throw the rope for so long. I'm also trying to get Gunther to be more relaxed while eating he has had a little growling problem I'm working on. I need to stock up on some more winter toys tomorrow.
Boots sometimes eats the entire bone but for the most part once the meats all gone and they've done a bit of chewing they're done with the bone.
I feed both of the dogs dry kibble twice a day, and boots gets a little bit of canned food for dinner. I'm working on her to lose her weight so just a bit of canned and their treats are cut way down.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
Thank you for the replies. I was thinking maybe I was giving them too many treats with the bones - with the weather the pups have been indoors mostly and I'm trying to give them something to do, I can only play chase the laser light and throw the rope for so long. I'm also trying to get Gunther to be more relaxed while eating he has had a little growling problem I'm working on. I need to stock up on some more winter toys tomorrow.
Boots sometimes eats the entire bone but for the most part once the meats all gone and they've done a bit of chewing they're done with the bone.
I feed both of the dogs dry kibble twice a day, and boots gets a little bit of canned food for dinner. I'm working on her to lose her weight so just a bit of canned and their treats are cut way down.
Just out of curiosity, what are the treats your talking about? Have you considered cooking for them and eliminating the kibble? This is what I'm working towards, so they only are getting a 1/2 cup of kibble twice a day, with cooked meat. I also have a girl that needs to slim down. My kids are all around 60 lbs.
I understand trying to keep them entertained during this storm, I'm doing the same thing.
I just ordered a book today, Feed Your Friend Better, by Rick Woodford. 5 stars!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,893 times
Ah ok that makes more sense. How do their teeth look overall? What about their stools? What kibble brand are you feeding? If your giving bones already what about a raw diet? Is that possible?

Otherwise if all looks well, I would continue what your doing. PS my dog and cat love the laser

Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 PM

That's actually a great idea with the homemade food. I think that would eliminate how Gunther plays the food game that he does with the kibble and it would eliminate the canned food for boots which will help. Thankfully they adjust to food changes very easily no tummy problems. The treats that I usually give them are a meatball and a beef or turkey jerky, I really like Milo's kitchen and so far that seems to be the favorite brand. The kibble I use at the moment is purina it's a pink bag, I want to say its lamb and rice.
Do you have a recipe that you recommend? I want to make sure that they are getting enough vitamins and everything with the food. I can order that book you recommended.
Thank you very much from me and the furry little underbellies ;-)
Steph

Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
That's actually a great idea with the homemade food. I think that would eliminate how Gunther plays the food game that he does with the kibble and it would eliminate the canned food for boots which will help. Thankfully they adjust to food changes very easily no tummy problems. The treats that I usually give them are a meatball and a beef or turkey jerky, I really like Milo's kitchen and so far that seems to be the favorite brand. The kibble I use at the moment is purina it's a pink bag, I want to say its lamb and rice.
Do you have a recipe that you recommend? I want to make sure that they are getting enough vitamins and everything with the food. I can order that book you recommended.
Thank you very much from me and the furry little underbellies ;-)
Steph
My dear girl, please stop those treats and that Purina dog food. Get the book.
Nearly 1,000 dogs now sick from jerky treats, FDA reports say - Vitals

Here's a website that I like that has some cooked food recipes.
Dog Food Recipes

She also has a section on healthy treats. It's a great website, have a look around.
Healthy Dog Treats

If you want to continue with a kibble, I feed Canidae, even tho I am working towards getting them off of it - it's a quality food at a reasonable price.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 AM

737 posts, read 2,589,595 times
Our poor little lucky girl was hospitalized 2x for pancreatitis due 2 consumption of lamb bones. I take zero credit with the first or second time ... DH ! Well she really liked them,
m
ME , WELL U ALMOST KILLED HER twice,

Now the only bone is given 2 one of our 3 , little 45 lb Pittie mix And only steak bones about 2x yr.

I know they r carnivores, but sometimes u just have 2 know your dogs.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Our poor little lucky girl was hospitalized 2x for pancreatitis due 2 consumption of lamb bones. I take zero credit with the first or second time ... DH ! Well she really liked them,
m
ME , WELL U ALMOST KILLED HER twice,

Now the only bone is given 2 one of our 3 , little 45 lb Pittie mix And only steak bones about 2x yr.

I know they r carnivores, but sometimes u just have 2 know your dogs.
Are you talking about raw or cooked bones?
Cooked bones are a no no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs