Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:11 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times

Advertisements

Having a disagreement with someone who insists it is safe to give dogs cooked marrow bones because they are large. The person apparently hasn't tried it yet, but "knows some people" who have told them it is okay, to boil or bake the bones first.

I, in turn, have insisted that it is not safe to give dogs cooked bones, ever.

Since I care about this person's dogs, I want them to avoid disaster. Am I wrong? Help!

Links would be good, I am not finding much, but I am not very good at searching. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 07:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
marrow bones when sold by petstores are "baked"...
because of the shere thickness of a marrow bone, when cooked its not as dangerous as cooked poultry bones, BUT it does become brittle very hard and if dropped will shatter/splinter.
cooking also removes all the benefits of giving a recreational bone like a marrow bone...

personally i wont feed any cooked bones.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Thanks for your reply. I did find one old thread (over 6 years old) from some forum where someone was saying that the pet store cooked bones they give their dog were safe, and everyone else replied that those pet store bones should be banned and, just as I believe, dogs should not be given cooked bones of any kind, ever. It just horrifies me to think of my friends' beautiful dogs getting cooked bones, I hope they won't do it.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:49 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,272 times
I agree with foxywench about the cooked bones. I give my dog raw bones chicken, ribs, pork necks, etc. Clean teeth and minimal bad breathe.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,578 times
No cooked bones.
Raw is best.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 AM

765 posts, read 2,440,151 times
I give my dog boiled marrow bones - it's the only thing that cleans his teeth. I don't know why you'd be worried about them splintering - they are REALLY solid.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
I give my dog boiled marrow bones - it's the only thing that cleans his teeth. I don't know why you'd be worried about them splintering - they are REALLY solid.
when they're cooked, they become brittle. Can be easily swalled and splintered. There is a risk of perforating the digestive tract. Give it to them raw.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
COOKED bones also dont clean the teeth nearly as remotly well as raw bones do, you need the soft outer covering and stringy bits to help with the cleaning ALL those benefits are removed when the bone is cooked.
cooked bones ARE hard and thats part of the problem, cooked bones are more likley to break teeth, and more likley to SPLINTER if the dog hits a weak spot, those splinters are as sharp a sewing needles in cooked bones and are a risk.in raw bones the bones remain "soft" (compared to coked) and slightly pliable making them much less of a risk.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
That's the point. Have you ever broken or bit into a cooked bone? They splinter and have rough ragged edges. By cooking a bone a change the structure of it, plus there is no nutritional value.

Raw bones are completely digestible,with the added bonus clean teeth and breath.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 AM

537 posts, read 1,767,783 times
question about raw bones... is this an "outdoor" activity?
Am I just weirded-out about sitting around in the den, having the dogs laying about on the wall-to-wall carpet, gnawing on raw bones? Even the "cooked/baked" ones seem greasy.
When/How do you feed them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs