Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:58 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,175,243 times

Advertisements

Well, i have 2 GSDs and they are known for hip problems, i did x-ray both of them when they were 2 years old. Both have fair to bad hips. So far they are doing fine, they will limp for a bit after laying around and getting up, but then they will walk it off, no yelping. I'm just guessing that proper nutrition with help of vitamins and joint supplements keeps them in check. They love to run and have no problems doing it.
Also, Ester C is excellent for them if they have any joint pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 PM

956 posts, read 1,235,601 times
My dog, only 7, started having arthritis problems over the winter when the humidity is very low in South Florida. We'll see how she is this summer in the humidity.

I know with my arthritis I'm not affected by humidity, but I am affected by cold and dampness.

We've had wonderful luck with the Glu/Chon. I couldn't believe the improvement within about a week of when she started on it. I can't change her food because she has to have a special diet for her bladder stone problem.

My heart just breaks when she starts hurting and literally yelps in pain. I'm sure all of you feel the same way. I really want to avoid Rimadyl so I hope the Glu/Chon keeps working for her!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:03 PM

795 posts, read 4,539,987 times
hi mcmolly, it IS so sad when they are so uncomfortable and in pain. my shih tzu usually is just mildly uncomfortable with the arthritis and he moves very slowly, BUT when he "throws out" his back, he shrieks from the pain and can only be moved on a stretcher i make out of pillows. it is just awful to see the furry ones this way.

on another note, you struck a chord with your comment about damp. that may be what i am seeing with him and the arthritis. a problem with damp more than humidity. i will have to watch this.

and, finally, why do you want to avoid the rimadyl? have you heard/read bad things about this medicine?

Last edited by barndog; 05-17-2008 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Rimadyl has been known to cause really bad reaction/death in dogs, for some time now. In any case, it would be my last reserve, even my vet told me to use alternatives, not that i need any yet, but just something to keep in mind.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:17 PM

795 posts, read 4,539,987 times
oh crap, you have got to be kidding me! when my dog hurt his back last week (disc problem), a vet that i didn't particularly care for insisted on giving me rimadyl for 10 days, instead of prednisone for 3 days like he usually gets from our regular vet when this happens.

this vet also highly recommended that i change barnaby from his standard previcox that he's been on for two years TO rimadyl, saying that rimadyl is better for him than previcox for the arthritis.

thanks for the info, shepsmom. barn still has two more days left on the rimadyl. hmmm. what to do, what to do?

Last edited by barndog; 05-17-2008 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 05-17-2008, 05:33 PM

295 posts, read 1,214,003 times
Barndog,
ShepsMom is right on re Rimadyl, and IMO the caution extends to all NSAIDs. Rimadyl, DeraMaxx, and other veterinary NSAIDS (Previcox included) all are high risk. The NSAID risk appears to be highest when used long term, but severe adverse reactions have occurred as soon as the first dose. For some "Holy Crap" anecdotals about Rimadyl and info re alternative treatments, see: The Senior Dogs Project . Possible alternative therapies to discuss with your *real* vet might be Adequan, glucosamine/chondroitin (if choosing gluco-chondr with MSM, check to see if your dog/breed can assimilate MSM - some breeds can't), and/or gold bead implants (Google for Terry Durkes, DVM and check this page: GOLD BEAD IMPLANT DIRECTORY ). If Barnaby has indeed blown a disk, get thee to a vet-ortho dude/dudette as soon as possible.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
oh crap, you have got to be kidding me! when my dog hurt his back last week (disc problem), a vet that i didn't particularly care for insisted on giving me rimadyl for 10 days, instead of prednisone for 3 days like he usually gets from our regular vet when this happens.

this vet also highly recommended that i change barnaby from his standard previcox that he's been on for two years TO rimadyl, saying that rimadyl is better for him than previcox for the arthritis.

thanks for the info, shepsmom. barn still has two more days left on the rimadyl. hmmm. what to do, what to do?
Barndog, i didn't mean to scare you. If your dog is doing fine on it, then you have no reason to worry. I would not do it long term, however

Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM

295 posts, read 1,214,003 times
I forgot a couple of important points: Does your Vet prescribe the Pred while Barnaby's on Rimadyl, Previcox, or other NSAIDs, and is Barnaby on any heart meds?? If so, YIKES! NSAIDs should not be used with Pred, nor if a dog is on ACE inhibitors such as Enalapril. See this info from MarVista Vet: Rimadyl.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:48 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post

and, finally, why do you want to avoid the rimadyl? have you heard/read bad things about this medicine?
As the others have said, yes I had read negative stuff about Rimadyl. However, Molly was on it for a brief period after she hurt her leg falling a couple of years ago. I wouldn't mind it as a short term remedy ... just wouldn't put her on it long term.

That's why I tried the glu/chon. When I saw my vet after she'd been on it for a month, he said he gives it to his own dog and said many people have great results. She loves it because it's liver flavored. So every morning that's her treat after she eats ... she comes looking for it.

If you're interested in reaction to Rimadyl, just Google the word and you can read a ton of stuff on it. Still, short term I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,224,264 times
What strength glu/chon wold be appropriate for a 45 pound dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs