Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 AM

9 posts, read 23,116 times

Advertisements

My 10 and a half year old Coton de Tulear (similar to a Maltese but larger) was diagnosed with nasal cancer on June 26th. Kirby began sneezing the end of May and had a "spray" of blood after one of the sneezes. We didn't think much of it - I thought he had allergies. But he got his first "real" bloody nose on June 18th and another two days later, so we brought him for a catscan on June 26. It was confirmed that he has an aggressive nasal carcinoma. We cancelled our trip to Europe because we could not chance leaving him with my parents in the event that his condition worsened. He had gone almost two weeks without a bloody nose, and then a few days ago, on July 13th, his eye began bleeding! Of course, we were freaked out by this and rushed him to our vet. Our vet didn't seem very concerned because the bleeding stopped pretty quickly and Kirby was in good spirits. He put him back on the antibiotic Baytril, figuring that it could be an abscess that popped. Just last night at 11:30 PM - Kirby sneezed and got a little bloody nose and then a little blood came from the bottom of his eye. Knowing the regimen, we used Afrin to stop the nosebleed and applied pressure and put ice in the corner of his eye. He seemed to be having a little bit of trouble sleeping (some reverse sneezing and a little trouble breathing). So we gave him 1/4 of a tranquilizer pill to help him sleep.

I've been reading this blog for about 4 hours now, but have yet to come across any dog with nasal cancer that has had a bloody eye. Has anyone's dog experienced this? This has been a very emotional time for us. We thought that we were going to have to put him down when he first was diagnosed because he had been getting bloody noses every day and he wasn't acting right. When the bloody noses stopped and he began getting back to his "normal self", we cancelled our trip. After the disturbing sight of seeing blood streaming from his eye, we immediately thought the worse again. This is such a peculiar disease because the dogs do not act like they are sick. Kirby eats, drinks and plays as if nothing's wrong (except right now because he is still under the effects of the tranquilizer). I'm wondering if the bloody eye is a signal that the tumor is getting larger. He has a "lump" on the right upper side of his nose, so I could understand how it could affect his eye. We thought for sure that we had another 5 years with Kirby because he still acts like a puppy. This has been a great blog to see that others are going through similar experiences with their dogs and has made me feel that things are not as bleak as I originally thought. Thanks to some of the original posters, I will ask my vet to look into neoplasene drops and I will also look into the Budwig Diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
NJPegi,

I'm sorry to hear that your coton has this disease. We lost our 8 year old airedale in 2009. From the first bloody nose to the time when we had to euthanize her was a little under a year but we decided to keep her comfortable, give her immune system support and give her the best time possible rather than pursue more aggressive treatment. We like to say that she "swirled the bowl high" for most of that time with the last two weeks turning that last corner. Ginger had a hard time sleeping keeping her mouth closed while she slept and would wake often. In the end, that's what got her. Ginger was active and loved life to the end.

My personal opinion having gone down the aggressive cancer road with two dogs is to make the best use of your time with your pet, augment and support his systems and hope for the best. Our first cancer dog we went the surgical route, having a small oral tumor removed and the cancer exploded for want of a better term. We had only 3 months before we had to end it for her. We often wonder if we made things worse by going down an aggressive path. I advocate a no regrets approach after that experience. One of the most sad things in life with our pets is that dogs have such short lifespans. I wish you and Kirby well.

Hugs and prayers for you.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
I am very sorry to hear about Kirby. I do know what the breed is as a coworkers daughter has had 2 of them for quite a few years now. Cute dogs!

From my own experience and what I learned from others is by the time you see swelling on the outside the cancer is pretty advanced. Dash had no outward signs of cancer for that first year. When he did develop the visible swelling it was on his upper muzzle by his left eye and I knew then that time was limited.

I would think the bleeding around the eye is not a good sign and would worry about it doing what a zygomatic gland tumor did to my dog Jazz and that was push the eye so it popped out further then a normal eye which is what got my attention and started us on the diagnosis and then the day I was waiting for MRI results and suddenly had to make a quick decision to put her down due to the fact it made the eye rupture which is very painful ( but it self sealed so she still had an eye while usually the eye disappears as the insides of it all leak out) but my choices were put her down that day or do a drastic surgery on a 14.5 yr old dog that day

I did use the neoplasene on Dash and in hindsight I will say if I was dealing with nasal cancer again I would not use it. I would use it on a tumor that was visible like a mast cell tumor else where on the body that when it did its job the tumor could fall off and leave a wound that should heal. But inside the body in a place like the nose the tumor could die but then be trapped and necrotic and cause a nasty infection. That very well could be what happened in Dash's case or it could have just been the tumor growing but I will never know for sure. I am not sorry I tried it but if I am ever faced with that cancer again I will not use it. He HATED having the drops put down his nose too so I do feel bad that in his limited time left I made him endure that. So think long and hard about using that in the nose.

I do believe the body can heal itself and I do believe the right diet can fight cancer but I also believe that once a cancer is advanced that is less likely to happen. I wish I could offer you more hope but Cancer has not only cost me several dogs but both my parents and a few other relatives . I would say just make sure you put quality of life on the top of your list. My mom opted to stop her treatments not because they were making her sick, not because they were not slowing her cancer ( as they were) but because they left her with no quality of life and they were not going to save her life but were buying her time and she said if her time left was going to be like it had become she did not want to go on as she had no quality of life as she was too exhausted all the time and could not enjoy life . She stopped treatment and died a month later it was hard but she was right quality of life is what matters. I will end here and send you some big cyber hugs as I do know how hard it is (((((HUGS)))))

Old 07-16-2013, 05:52 PM

AK Cathy and Dashdog - thank you for your "hugs" and well wishes, but unfortunately, we had to make the worst decision of our lives and put down our beloved Kirby this morning. We are distraught, but know that we did the right thing for him. It just is very hard on us. On Sunday, he had a very bad bloody nose. He sneezed so hard that he sneezed out a little piece of the tissue from the tumor. Every time we got the bloody nose under control with the Afrin, he sneezed and it started all over again. We brought him to the animal hospital and the doctor gave us Epinephrine drops to use at home to stop the bloody nose quicker. The next day, (yesterday) went fine until late afternoon when he sneezed and caused a bloody nose, but I used the drops and it stopped pretty quickly. He was panting more than usual (the doctor said that the panting may be because he can't breathe out of his nose normally), but other than that, he was eating and acting like his normal self. This morning, though, he had a sneezing fit. He caused a bloody nose and I used the Epinephrine drops and it stopped quickly again. But he continued to sneeze one after the other. The blood was not out of control like it was on Sunday; however, he kept sounding like he was trying to clear his throat or that he couldn't breathe right. I was thinking that the blood may be going down his throat, so we decided then that it wasn't fair to him. It was just so sad to watch him go through this without being able to help him. When we got to my vet's office, he heard Kirby making the sound I was talking about and he also felt it was that blood was going down the throat and felt that we were making the right decision. This was even more tough because our daughter is at a college program and won't be back until Friday. We really didn't want to do this while she was away. She's going to be devastated that she didn't get a chance to say goodbye to him. We feel empty inside like a part of us is missing. It's hard to look at the empty spot on the couch where he used to sit and bark at people walking their dogs in front of our house, his empty bowl, his bed, etc. I'm sure you've experienced the same feelings when your beloved pets passed. "Dashdog" - thank you for your compassion and for starting this blog to help pet owners through this terrible time.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPegi View Post
AK Cathy and Dashdog - thank you for your "hugs" and well wishes, but unfortunately, we had to make the worst decision of our lives and put down our beloved Kirby this morning. We are distraught, but know that we did the right thing for him. It just is very hard on us. On Sunday, he had a very bad bloody nose. He sneezed so hard that he sneezed out a little piece of the tissue from the tumor. Every time we got the bloody nose under control with the Afrin, he sneezed and it started all over again. We brought him to the animal hospital and the doctor gave us Epinephrine drops to use at home to stop the bloody nose quicker. The next day, (yesterday) went fine until late afternoon when he sneezed and caused a bloody nose, but I used the drops and it stopped pretty quickly. He was panting more than usual (the doctor said that the panting may be because he can't breathe out of his nose normally), but other than that, he was eating and acting like his normal self. This morning, though, he had a sneezing fit. He caused a bloody nose and I used the Epinephrine drops and it stopped quickly again. But he continued to sneeze one after the other. The blood was not out of control like it was on Sunday; however, he kept sounding like he was trying to clear his throat or that he couldn't breathe right. I was thinking that the blood may be going down his throat, so we decided then that it wasn't fair to him. It was just so sad to watch him go through this without being able to help him. When we got to my vet's office, he heard Kirby making the sound I was talking about and he also felt it was that blood was going down the throat and felt that we were making the right decision. This was even more tough because our daughter is at a college program and won't be back until Friday. We really didn't want to do this while she was away. She's going to be devastated that she didn't get a chance to say goodbye to him. We feel empty inside like a part of us is missing. It's hard to look at the empty spot on the couch where he used to sit and bark at people walking their dogs in front of our house, his empty bowl, his bed, etc. I'm sure you've experienced the same feelings when your beloved pets passed. "Dashdog" - thank you for your compassion and for starting this blog to help pet owners through this terrible time.

Sorry to hear about Kirby but you did the right thing and that was put him first and that is not always the easy thing to do. I am sure he left this world knowing how loved he was and was thankful that you were able to do that for him. Yes a part of you is missing and there will be reminders of that for quite sometime as a dog is part of your everyday life. I would even think I heard my dogs tags jingle yet the other dogs in my home would be sound asleep so I knew it was not them. I hope time heals your hearts and his memories one day bring nothing but smiles. Bless you for having the courage to say goodbye now . Sending more cyber hugs your way for you and your family. ((((((HUGS))))))

Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM

That's so funny that you said that about your hearing your dogs' tags jiggling. My husband and I were out on the deck about a half hour after we got home from the vet and I heard Kirby's "woof". I turned to my husband and said, "did you hear that?" He said it sounded like Kirby's "woof"! I'm sure it was him letting us know he was ok. Thanks again for your support. It's very comforting

Old 08-03-2013, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,240 times
Default nasal cancer in my dog

Hi. I am sorry about your dog and wonder how she/he is doing now. I just found out that my beloved companion has nasal cancer, and we see the oncologist in a few days. I will hear the options then. I have never gone through this with one of my dogs before and do not know how people make these decisions. Your words were helpful. I want to focus on quality as well.

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Thanks Riveree ,

I think you know too well how heartbreaking it really is. My previous dog at age 14 had cardiomyopathy and then developed lymphoma .I decided to just let her live out what time she had left until she no longer was enjoying her life. I made a list of things she loved to do and slowly crossed them off, the two things left were eating as she was a major chow hound and and snuggling with me. I came home from work one morning and fed her and she wanted to eat but couldn't and just kept looking at her food and then at me and when her eyes met mine I knew it was time.

I called my vet and said I would be in at the end of the day. Later that day I decided to take her to the park and eat lunch and just relax with her one last time, of course then I started having 2nd thoughts " Is it really time, maybe I can wait another day or two" . As we sat in the shade she suddenly went into congestive heart failure so I picked her up and raced to my car and drove to the vets . She was in the other front seat which had always been HER seat and she placed her one paw over on my leg and kept it there. By the time we got to the vets she had pretty much passed out and her chest was rattling from all the fluid. Some lady in the waiting room said " Oh I am sure they can fix her". They took me right in and she was given the injection. I felt relief as her ordeal was over and I really believe that she knew it was time and knew it was hard on me and even that I was starting to question myself so she made the decision for me that Yes it was time and yes it was that day. It was like her last gift to me.

I have to fly to Portland next week as my 20 yr old neice was killed in a car crash and when I get back I will meet with a radiologist oncologist to see what he has to say and then make my decision as to once again let nature decided or to try to buy time with pallitive radiation. I don't think I want to buy time if it is at his expense as he has been a great dog and he deserves to have quality time left. But I also feel I owe it to him to get all the facts before I decide.

I lost my mom to lung cancer a year ago and he and my other dog are what got me through the ordeal.I would drive 120 miles with my dogs to take her to chemo spend a few days with her then come home to work repeat over and over x 2.5 yrs.It was always my dogs that saw me cry and they would clown around to get me to laugh.The experience with my mom also taught me how to let go and for anyone thinking lung cancer in mom? nasal cancer in dog? smokers? Nope my mom nor I ever smoked she was just one of what is becoming of a problem in women- lung cancer in non smokers.

I will let you know what I decide to do. I hope you dog is enjoying the time. Bless you for allowing that, Got to run,Jan

Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,240 times
Hi. I am so so sorry to hear of your loss. You loved your dog very much. My dog was just recently diagnosed with nasal cancer, and it may be very advanced. I say that because she has these sneezing episodes that you describe. She also seems to be choking. It is disturbing for both of us. It is awful. We see the oncologist in 3 days. I dont know what to do. It is helpful to see that others have written.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,096 times
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and to dealing with a dog with cancer. My Bailey was diagnosed last week with Adenocarcinoma in his sinus. It is pretty advanced as it is eating away at the bone around the tumor. The vet says he actually has a hole in the roof of his mouth. We were on vacation in NH last week (right after the diagnosis), where Bailey and, our other dog Dunkin, came with us. It was a very tough week but were able to get some Piroxicam mailed to us and he started to respond to it by the end of the week. He is still playful, but the hardest thing to watch is him struggle to breath. Other than that he still seems to have quality of life.

Can he suffocate from this? His tongue has also become pale at times, but seems to pink back up.

I don't want him to suffer, but also don't want to make a decision too early.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Sarah

Old 08-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Sarah, So sorry to read about your Bailey. I guess if a tumor grew into the trachea and blocked it he could suffocate. I think in your case my big worry besides comfort as cancer eating into a bone would no doubt be painful would be a hole in the roof of his mouth his mouth will make him more prone to aspiration pneumonia where food or fluid goes down his trachea instead of the esophagus and ends up in his lungs.

With the cancer being more advanced like that do not worry about making a decision too soon as I would say from this day forward there really is no too soon. My vet told me that once years ago and knowing he was right made it that much easier when I did make the decision. It is never an easy decision but most of us can sense when the time is right. For now just pour the love on Bailey and make sure he is comfortable. My heart breaks for you and for all the others that have had to deal with this cancer as having walked that road I know how difficult it is. I am curious how old is Bailey and what type of dog is he? How about your other dog Dunkin how old is he and what type? I love his name and something tells me he likes water with a name like Dunkin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs