Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,454,356 times

Advertisements

Boomers Mom,

I'm am so sorry for your loss.

W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Boomer's mom,

While My heart breaks for you and your family I am happy to hear that Boomer's transition was peaceful. I know the hole you have in your heart right now and that it will take awhile for it to heal. Just believe that what you did what was best for him and do not allow yourself to second guess the decison as it was the correct one. Take care and don't let anyone hurry you through the grief as you just lost a very good friend/ family member and have the right to grieve whatever way you choose and for as long as it takes. Know many of us are feeling your pain and wish we could make it go away but we can't. Sending big (((((((Hugs))))))))) and prayers your way tonight. Jan

Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 AM

23 posts, read 64,530 times
All of your thoughts and prayers are so much appreciated.I woke up at 3:30 am and went to the bathroom and was being quiet to not wake boo and then realized he isn't here.I went to his spot on the side of the bed on the floor and prayed to him and to god. I thanked God for the strength to carry out what was needed although I still feel a bit unerved as boo was trying to get out of the room even after the sedative they gave him so i almost felt like a murdererHe died peacefully when given the green liquid but I still felt like I might have not honored his wishes. He was walking around suffering but he seemed like he wanted to be with us and this is so horrible as my husband is feeling more at peace about this and i am not.I was positively sure when we made our decision on sunday but today I wonder? Yesterday was sooo horrible. I had crying fits( screaming fits) about every hour or two and i am up at 4:30 am writing this and trying to figure out a way to come to peace with everything and carry on with living.I have to go back to work this Thursday thru Sat and I hope I can Carry out my work tasks w/out suddenly sobbing uncontrollably as I have here at home.I also keep reliving his death moment in my mind and it is so overwhelming. Why do I feel like a murderer now? Maybe I shouldn't have been in the room as I can't get the whole scene out of my head.I miss my baby so much.Well I am sorry for these terrible words but it is how I feel.I read the rainbow bridge story and while it is beautiful it is not bringing me comfort.I miss you Boo. You were my BEST FRIEND-Good bye

Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 AM

10 posts, read 54,411 times
Dear Boomer's Mom

I'm up also, crying about Devon and sharing your pain.

You did what you had to do - what else was there?

We have to be strong and do we never wanted to do, ever... The day before my vet and I had THE talk (on the phone), and I was crying and saying I'm not ready!!! But I knew it was time early the next morning.

My husband and I said we would not second-guess our decisions, but it is hard not to...

The poem below is one of my favorites, I hope you will see Boomer in it.

Susan

The Rose Beyond the Wall

A rose once grew where all could see

Sheltered beside a garden wall

And, as the days past swiftly by

It spread its branches, straight and tall

One day, a beam of light shone through

A crevice that had opened wide

The rose bent gently toward its warmth

Then passed beyond to the other side

Now, you who deeply feel its loss

Be comforted, the rose blooms there

It’s beauty even greater now

Nurtured by God’s own loving care.

Author unknown

Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 AM

Oh that poem is beautiful.it brought me to tears.But in a good sort of way.My husband and i just got home from breakfast and i just read it and I thank you.I do know that boo was suffering.His nose was rotting off and he was hurting and trying like heck not to sneeze because of the horrible pain that came with it. i am starting to see the truth now. I guess my pain is just the loss and I miss him. I will wash the bed sheets that are stained w/his blood today and vacuum up his hair. I am sure that will trigger more sobbing but I have to carry on .I feel like each thing I do w/out him will help me on the next day when he is not there. Does that make sense? Coming home from breakfast w/out bacon treats for him was a first but maybe next week it won't be so bad. Well do take care everyone and thank you cathy for that beautiful poem.You have all been sowonderful to me.Thanks again

Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Oh! Boomer's Mom, I'm so sorry for your pain, your loss, your tears. I'm crying along right with you. I hope that every day is a bit easier, knowing that your Boo is no longer in pain. May your wonderful memories make your heart a bit less heavy as each day brightens.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,130 times
Dear Boomer's Mom,

I've been where you are. Please know that this pain of loss will take time to heal. You will be very sad but you will eventually find yourself getting better and you will begin to be able to remember and talk about Boomer without crying, honoring his funny and unique ways with laughter and love. You may also find yourself 10 years later shedding tears missing this unique beloved individual, even though you have healed. Grief work is definitely not a linear course.

You will second guess your decision but you know realistically that you are arguing with yourself over maybe a few pain filled days at most given the swift progression of Boomer's disease. To an outsider, you did the right. loving and very hard thing.

Try to focus on Boomer in life rather than in death. He was a gift of love that will live on in your heart and memory and know that while maybe not perfect, you were good and loving guardians of one of God's creatures. You have the opportunity when the time is right to possibly love and care for another without displacing Boomer but in tribute to the richness of such a bond.

Take care of yourself and each other as much as possible while you grieve because it's a very vulnerable time for your health, especially if you have health issues.

I have shed tears for you and Boomer as I suspect have many that have gone through this on this list. Thank you for sharing your experience and your lovely dog with us. You are in my thoughts.

Cathy aka Ginger's mom.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM

Oh thank you so much cathy andthank you susan for the poem .In my teary state I thanked the wrong person for that lovely poem.But you all have helped me and my husband.I just read him all of your comments and he shed some tears and said he can't believe that there are such wonderful and compassionate people in this world as all of you are.most people would just say it was just a pet get over it well I don't want to know those people. If I can find anything good out of this whole ordeal,itis the fact that i have come across all of you and it has increased my faith in humanity.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 19,805 times
My 12 yr. old male sheltie was just diagnosed with squamous cell nasal carcinoma. Toby has been sneezing a lot for the last month; we figured it was just allergies. This weekend I noticed a large bump on top/left side of his nose. Luckily, I live in a university town with a vet school and we were able to be seen quickly. The oncologist is suggesting palliative radiation and platinum based chemotherapy. I know Quality of life is more important than Quantity, just not really sure what all my options are....Anyone else have experience with these therapies?....my little guy is also being treated for a subCutaneous hemangiosarcoma......sigh.....

Old 07-21-2009, 01:31 PM

137 posts, read 412,830 times
this poem was in a card I got for Oscar- its beautiful. because I know Boomer's presence will be with you and in your home forever, as my boy's was ( and is, even tho I have 2 other pups)

They will not go quietly, the dogs who shared our lives. In subtle ways they let us know their spirit still survives.

Old habits still make us think we hear them at the door. Or step back when we drop a tasty morsel on the floor.

Our feet still go around the where the food dish used to be, And sometimes, coming home at night we miss them terribly.

And tho time may bring new friends and a new food dish to fill, That one place in our hearts belongs to them...and always will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs