Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 07:05 PM

10 posts, read 54,398 times

Advertisements

Dear Boomer's Mom

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Do you have a sedative? Devon's last day was on acepromazine, and I did give him a bit more before we went in the next am. Even if you have valium it might help get him some rest tonight.

He probably won't want to drink water, what we did was syringe water into his mouth. In regards to the tramadol, my vet said that we could safely give 3-4 50mg tramadol (Devon was 85lbs) every 6 hours.

I want you to know that you are doing the right thing for Boomer, and my thoughts and prayers are with your family tonight and tomorrow...

With gentle hugs and shared tears,

Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM

55 posts, read 180,060 times
Boomers Mom,

No matter how many times we go through this, each time is like the first. No words comforted me on the eve before, nor do I suspect any will you. You are helping boomer the only way you can. Godspeed to Boomer, you and he will be in my prayers and thoughts tonight...

Rod

Old 07-19-2009, 09:48 PM

104 posts, read 471,049 times
boomer's family:

please accept my condolences and know that you did all you could. thinking of you through this time,
tillie's mom.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Boomers mom.

Please know that I will be thinking of you today and hoping Boomer has a very peaceful transition from this life.It doesn't matter how many times one goes through this as it never gets easier as it is always so hard to say goodbye to a dear friend.I hope that you are able to see this as one last act of love you can give him. Sending prayers your way...Godspeed Boomer. Jan and Dash

Old 07-20-2009, 01:26 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
To everyone on this awful road of cancer with us I would like to recommend a book to read if you enjoy reading it is called" The Art Of Racing in the Rain" By Garth Stein. I read it then gave it to my friend as she was dealing with the knowledge that she was soon going to have to put her 15 yr old Border Collie down. ( By the way I knew the dog since she was a puppy and loved her as much as I love my own) Without giving too much away the book is the dog telling his story and the fact he believes that he will come back as a human.He starts by telling us what he thinks about dieing and what his hopes are for when the time gets near. I loved the book and so did my friend and she said it made it easier for her to make the decision as she kept thinking about what the dog said in the book. There are some sad parts in the book but the ending is nice.

The book also teaches the lesson that where you focus on is where you will go. I decided with Dash we would not focus on death but on life and so far that is where we have gone.Yes he will die but in the mean time he is alive and out there living like any normal dog despite his " monster bump".

PS I often work with a doctor that I have told for many years now that I believe he was my dog in a previous life. We have this great relationship but it so reminds me of what I have with my dogs! He just had to have been my dog in a previous life as that is the only way to explain things!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:07 AM

129 posts, read 491,248 times
Boomers Mom,
I am also with you and Boomer in thought today, wishing for a peaceful passing for your entire family.

Another similar book recommendation: Sight Hound by Pam Houston. I cried through most of it but also found it incredibly telling.

Erica

Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 AM

137 posts, read 412,479 times
Boomer's mom, I am so sorry to hear this. Oscar was the same way on his "last night". a lot of pacing, restlessness, etc. I knew the next morning it would be the day to say goodbye to him. how do you say goodbye after 13 years?

I will be thinking of you as you give Boomer the gift of a gentle passing. I think of all the dogs here on this forum- Oscar, Boomer, Hogan, Dash and so many others. they and we suffer this horrible disease, yet all these beloved dogs are so lucky to have owners to care for them, love them, and help them along when the time comes.

Run with the wind Boomer, young and healthy. watch over your mom

I know if Boomer could talk ( and he does in your heart) he would say thank you

Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
Dear Boomer's Mom,

I am so very sorry to hear this. I will be thinking of you. I think one strongly senses when it's time to help them pass but it doesn't make it any easier. May you meet Boomer in your dreams. Hugs and Prayers to you both.

Cathy aka Ginger's mom

Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 AM

23 posts, read 64,476 times
Hello,well it is over.I can barely see the computer to type this thru my tears.Boomer passed so peacefully and put his head down and went to sleep.I can't get the memory of how cute and peaceful he was at rest. He was such a good boy as they didn't get his iv the first time so on the second try they got it.He laid his head down and breathed two more breaths and that was it.I have no words only a horrible ache in my chest.I don't want to be in this house as all of his spots are empty.Oh god I miss you boo boo. good bye . thank you sooo much for all of your kind words.I have to go now.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:42 PM

137 posts, read 412,479 times
I know how very hard that was to do, but yet glad that Boomer had a gentle passing.I shed a few tears for Boomer, and you too. but somehow it comforted me, even thru the tears, when I saw how quickly Oscar passed, just putting his head on his paws and a couple of sighs. he was ready to move on, and you knew too when Boomer was ready.

yes, you will "see" Boomer in the house for a long, long time. they sure can fill a home. it is 2 years for me. and yet every time I give my current dogs their snacks, I see the scratches Oscar put in the cabinet to "call me" to get his treat. that was his one and only trick. I will never, ever fix those marks.

I bet Boomer is bragging right now to all the other pups about what a great mom he had...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs