Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,742,022 times

Advertisements

Tiny dogs are difficult to housebreak and are susceptible to hypoglycemia. Tiny dogs are fragile in the house with small children. Other than a 'fashion item', is there a reason to get a tiny dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,957,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Tiny dogs are difficult to housebreak and are susceptible to hypoglycemia. Tiny dogs are fragile in the house with small children. Other than a 'fashion item', is there a reason to get a tiny dog?
More misinformation.

Tiny dogs are NOT difficult to housebreak. I have one tiny one and one small one (a pug) and it's not a problem. Small dogs are also, outside of puppyhood, NOT susceptible to hypoglycemia (see my post above in this thread). It's only in early puppyhood, when the liver isn't completely developed, that this occurs.

I agree, they are NOT for families with small children. But I will NEVER have a big dog. Why? Because I live in a huge city, don't own a car, and go to the country on weekends by train with them and LOVE having small, portable dogs. Not everyone is a big dog fan. My dogs aren't 'fashion statements' and my pug even has an obedience title.

There are lots of people who don't prefer big dogs. I'm one of them. I grew up with German shepherds, and, while they're wonderful dogs, they're not for me and my lifestyle.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,955,016 times
I agree, a lot of good information from previous posts here, I've read the same things including breeds not being teacup size.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,328 times
My girl friend have a Toy poodle that live little over 18 years,and die kidney failure last week,but all most all his life was pretty healthy,he been bite little by his ear by a pitbull years go but he survive miraculously,i treat his wound bite with honey and heal fast in 1 week was like new,but the poor guy was not so lucky with the kidney failure and we got put him down,he won't eat not drink and barely walk.Poodles have very friendly attitude and good personality,are also very intelligent dogs.If you lucky and are healthy they can live long,i personally i will adopt new one rather than buy it,but buy one from shelter or dog rescue missions you don't know how abused was and what are the health past issues,sadly my girl friend was to traumatized losing her dog and don't want have another dog.

Last edited by aca77; 01-26-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 11:31 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,139,958 times
OP, because poodles can have more health problems than almost any other breed, if you are going to purchase a poodle, buy from a reputable hobby breeder who does extensive health testing and who can show you health testing on many generations of ancestors.

Because all the testing on poodle stock amounts to a lot of money, a decent quality poodle is an expensive dog. There should be yearly eye tests, hearing test, skin biopsies, Von Willdebrands testing, thyroid testing, hip and elbow x-rays done on every dog in the pedigree. You should be able to see those results before purchasing a puppy.

The Poodle Club of American runs a poodle rescue. Those will probably be puppy mill dogs, but at least they will be properly vetted and their temperament evaluated before they are placed.

Stay away from anyone who advertises "tea cup" poodles. 100% guaranteed that they are running a puppy mill or are a backyard breeder with no knowledge and no concern for the breed.

If you want really small, I suggest a long haired chihuahua from a reputable hobby breeder. Stay away from puppy mill chihuahuas, too.

Toy breeds house train just exactly like big dogs. The only reason anyone has problems with house training is that they won't put the time and effort into it. You need serious commitment to house train. You have to put in your two weeks, and that goes for any and every breed of dog. No dog becomes house trained by magic, the habit must be carefully established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs