Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,561,571 times

Advertisements

Ok, guys.
Thoughts have been going around about what exactly do you look for in a good dog breeder?

How do you know it's not one of those puppy mills or horrid people that get involved in things like pet auctions...(see the following link on the horrible thing called pet trade. HOw do they get away with such things? Read it carefully, these dogs never see the outside of a cage, a toy, or a loving human. The more knowledge of these things, maybe we can kill this stuff just like some states already have. Links on those states are in the article below.) Another Dirty Secret on Pet Trade (broken link)

So, with understanding that there are people out there that do business at dog auctions and sell at puppy stores, online and such... What does a dog seeker do to best equip themselves in not funding backyard and puppymill breeders? Is there some licenses that show they are quality? What are the levels of breeders A, B, and C? What does that mean?

Feel free to continue asking questions that I haven't already listed. I know I'm not the only one.

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,931,470 times
Research and don't be afraid to walk away. We got our dog from a breeder in PA. Difficult b/c there are so many puppy mills in PA. I researched this woman like crazy. I checked the BBB, the liscensing agency on the state's website to see if it was up to date and what kind she had (the A,B,C tells how many dogs they are liscensed to have on the property). I checked with vets in her area about her reputation. I checked to see if the hip and eye certifications she claimed to have were up to date-all done on the internet. Her dogs were listed with valid clearances. She also did more with her dogs than just breed-obedience competitions, performance competitions, etc. Sign of a good breeder. She gave a guarantee on her dogs, interviewed ME about our home and what we were looking for, would not let the dogs go before a certain time, would take the dog back if anything didn't check out with our vet when we got home, and is available for any questions or concerns I have still over a year later.

Lastly, I was prepared to walk away if once we got there I got a bad vibe about anything. Looking good on paper was great, but if these dogs were a mess or their living conditions horrible when we got there, we were ready to turn around and go right back home.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,531,729 times
#1 If at all possible go to breeders home or kennel see what conditions are and how many dogs they breed.
#2 Why do they breed?
#3 Call vet they use ask them how frequently dogs in and what conditions dogs are in.
#4 Research ask questions,ask for referrals if been doing it long.
#5 Ask about health certificates, health gaurantee's.
#6 Contracts do they have them and what is on them. ( I have 1 year health guarantee, no chaining of dogs,no transfer of dog to anyone as if need be dog comes back to me, what is on contract as per vaccinations and such.)
#7 Do they show dogs,work these dogs or just breed for pets.( my case use for Search and Rescue and try getting buyers involved in it and willing to help out.)
#8 Ask about pedigree and research these so no inbreeding/line breeding involved.
#9 Contact after sale is a big one if have questions or concerns.( I ask for updates and pictures to watch condition of dog.)
#10 Do they ask for vet number that you will be using so can call and check with them if keeping updated on shots and yearly exams.
#11 Do they have a spay/neuter clause and enforce if not using for show or to breed?
#12 Are they giving you open registration or limited?
#13 What socialization do these animals get as in children,other dogs,cats,people and such.
#14 If shipping who do they ship with?Air,Trucking,Deliver personally?
#15 Do they do rescue of breed that they are selling? A good breeder in my eyes also does rescue as shows care about breed.
#16 Do not just look at price as price not always mean quality as some out to make money not do it to better breed or for love of the breed.Check out a few breeders see which on like best after interviewing them.
#17 Does breeder ask you questions so know that you are prepared for the breed selling.(kids in house and ages,other pets,time away from animal,kennel run or chained up I hate that,if a working breed will it be used for that purpose or just as a pet.What exactly does buyer know from research and is seller willing to turn people away as breed not right for them or are they just out to make a buck and not care if animal is a good fit for buyer.)

Old 02-13-2008, 10:50 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,364,773 times
Get a recommendation from your breed specific club / association for the area that you live in. They will refer you to a good breeder. And you will likely be put on a waiting list for a good breeder's dogs and you will have to pay a deposit up front.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Thanks everyone for some really great advice and suggestions on here! This is exactly what is needed. Is there a specific guarantee I'm looking for?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,364,773 times
Also get to know all about the breed and it's known health problems and personality characteristics by searching on the Internet.
And when you find your breeder, make sure you ask them about which genetic tests they have done. If you don't like their answers, walk away. But be prepared to shell out $$ for a good breeders dogs. Although they are usually around the same price as what the mall puppyshops are charging, they just mark them up that much!
Also there is a good book: "paws to consider" which is a great information about the different breeds and what to look for and avoid.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Look for health guarantee longer the better and guarantee will take dog back if circumstances change and can no longer keep the dog.
I do not certify eyes and thyroid but not into show and if have problems with that dog is no longer breedable. My female was OFA certified stud will be soon also.
Look out for those who do PennHip only as can do young but things change and OFA must be 2 years.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,959,286 times
Default How to evaluate a Breeder

This page is part of my personal website (which was last updated 10 years ago, and is forever frozen in time due to my not remembering my password but the info is still good: The DogDaze Page
(mods, this is not a commercial site)

Last edited by Valerie C; 02-13-2008 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-13-2008, 01:30 PM

That site pretty much sums it up.I just had a contact come to house today checked out parents and pup's. Makes you feel more at ease when even though only 2 hour trip that they come to check it out and not just rely on emails and phone conversations.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Some one mentioned that the Class A,B,C means how many dogs they can have on the property. CAn someone explain this more? Is A the best or does that really mean anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs