Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:55 PM

93 posts, read 205,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
What I would like to know is how to trace the lineage of the dogs that the breeder plans to breed and then how to evaluate that. How do you research which lineage is the healthiest? Do you just keep asking around? Who? The breeders? Does anyone have sample questions that you'd ask the breeder? My goal is to get a healthy, long-lived giant breed and personality is a huge, huge factor. I mean, I know there aren't any guarantees, but I definitely want to up my chances of getting a sweet companion who can spend many years with me.
These are issues that require one to have or be motivated to have an understanding of how to read pedigrees, and nose for research -- and also understanding of issues in human social issues among other things. Personality of a dog however can have different definitions and can be a bit random, aside from the wiring that is typical of certain bloodlines and breeds. I'm not sure if your question is rhetorical but I will give a response that generally follows the schema that I use and what I general advise to those that seek mentoring.

One way to begin your research is to find persons that already have your breed - they could be pet owners, working dog folk, show folk and/or dog breeders. Meet them at dog training clubs, therapy dog groups and at some of the scenarios you hope to be involved in with your dog. Many breeders rarely breed so they may not even be advertising that they ever have puppies since it can sometimes take years before they have a litter, and in some cases, the puppies are presold. So some of them you will only discover by word of mouth. Sometimes people with a different breed will have some tips to help you get started. Write to the national breed club for your breed and they may be able to provide a list of breeders. Some of the less common dogs might not be available in driving distance but you can still work on the pedigree aspects.

To begin-
Learn about vertical pedigrees because this is where much of your work will be consolidated and your notetaking will develop body for various sources of dogs. Here is one article that is pretty helpful: http://www.offa.org/hovanart.pdf (broken link)
Vertical Pedigrees [what they are]
Traditional pedigrees expand horizontally; that is, they are read from left to right with relatively few dogs appearing at the far left and increasing to the predominant number of ancestors listed to the right. Although the dogs to the left (the sire, dam, and grandparents) most directly impact the resulting offspring, there are only six of these contributing data on this type of pedigree. That is a small sampling of the relevant information that may actually be available. While many additional dogs are named on the right side of the page, these more distantly related dogs are less significant genetically than are those on the left.
Do download the article and take a look at the way pedigrees are laid out, as that will be the general format you use. (there is pedigree software that can also be helpful for those who do a lot of pedigree research).

Use of vertical and horizontal pedigree will help you map out the consistency of traits important to you. In some cases, new owners may not have much info to go on other than their ONE dog. That's not a representative number but do pay attention to what they say. Some of it may be 'way out there' but some of it will help you build on reliable data.

From these people you meet or talk to online and real life, try and get copies of pedigrees. Three generation at least is preferred. Get or take a picture of the dog that the pedigree is for and the parents if possible. Take pictures from the side of the dog, so you don't end up with weird angles or nose leather at ridiculous resolutions. If you can, see the dogs in real life. Take note of their behavior as well, ask about how much training they have had. Ask the owner or caretaker what they like or don't like about Dog A, compared to Dog B and other dogs. Take notes. Ask about the oldest dogs they've had in the breed and the most common problem that THEY have had with dogs in the breed. Keep in mind that much of this material will be opinion, and some of it may have little to do with longevity or health, but it is a path toward knowing more about the people and the dogs in the breed you are researching.

Ask the person as well, the names or whatever they can remember about littermates of different dogs in the branches of the pedigree. Full siblings will carry traits from the same line, so the person's opinion on why some of the dogs in a litter are considered to be pets and why others are working or show dogs add to your growing impression of a given line.

Some opinions will be wrong, some will be clueful and but all of these tips help you learn more about the breed and tip you off about certain misconceptions and other issues.

You may like a certain look or you may want to get a dog to use in agility. You may just want a very high quality pet. But as much as possible, leave no stone unturned. Take notes. I have a hard time keeping track of names myself but once they are written down, I do pretty good. Find out how old dogs were when they gained their titles if they have any, and if they were bred, which of their progeny have the same or different traits.

Keeping in mind the concept of vertical pedigree, you will get a better idea of which lines tend to produce which trait. Also keep in mind that litters are not necessarily inbred. For example in the dalmatian study I quoted previously, you can see that dals from one end of the country have a different rate of incidence for some trait. What happens when you bring two clear dogs together can be a bit of a crap shoot sometimes, but if other traits in the pedigrees are pretty consistent and there is good depth of pedigree (progeny, parents, grandparents) as well as vertical pedigree (good qualities in all/most of the litter of each dog in the pedigree), you are well along to finding your best chance of success.

Take your pedigrees and go online to the OFA database and other health testing sites. Enter the name of the ancestors of the dogs in your pedigree and take note of the prefixes (kennel names) and other details of the dogs which have certifications. Take notes and see which bloodlines have the most research done on them. In the case of people who have neutered pets in the bloodline, be aware that sometimes orthopedic, temperamental issues, and osteosarcoma and other such issues may run higher in those dogs. Secondary effects of neutering can actually alter genetic potential, so if you are planning to use a dog in agility for example, you might get a well bred dog, allow it to mature before neutering.

When you find a breeder that seems to have dogs strong in the pedigrees you admire, ask them about longevity in their dogs and if they have noticed any issues that differ between unneutered dogs and those that are. By this point you will have a lot of questions and will probably be able to come up with many things to ask. Breeders who seems suspicious or are unable to share much with you initially may just need to know from someone you mutually know with a friend that has one of their dogs or related, what your intentions may be.

Hopefully some of this information can help you. I do generally feel that while adopting dogs from rescue is a great thing, so much current information is focused on the promotion of dogs from unknown backgrounds, that it can be very difficult for someone starting out, to get an idea on how to research their breed.

I think researching can be both enlightening and frustrating. People will always say that so and so is secretive or just gossips about someone else. Keep a professional attitude. That will help you gain respect. In the end, you learn a lot about the dogs and the people that own them and have a more realistic idea on where to find the sort of dog you want. This isn't as comprehensive as it could be but it is a start.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ticklerkid; 10-07-2008 at 05:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:20 PM

342 posts, read 1,837,654 times
Default Questions to ask a breeder

Here are the questions I asked and what answers I was looking for. I probably spent >45min interviewing each breeder (and being interviewed myself in the process). These questions were asked regardless of the fact that I was only interested in a pet-quality dog and not a show dog.

Questions to ask a breeder:

HISTORY
How long have you been breeding the breed?
Why do you breed them? Improve the breed standard.
Do you belong to any breed clubs or other groups? I trust breeders more if they belong to breed clubs and adhere to their code of ethics and breeding protocols which are often more stringent than the AKC standards. Also, if they participate in breed rescue, I feel more confident that they are not affiliated with puppy mills etc, and they are consciencious breeders that are aware and trying to help alleviate the pet overpopulation problem.

PARENTS
What was the purpose of this particular breeding? What were you trying to improve or achieve? A good breeder should be frank about the "faults" of each parent dog, and how the offspring would improve upon them.
Why did you choose these particular dogs? What traits are you looking for? What faults do they have?
How old are the parent dogs?
How many times and how frequently is the dam bred?
Do you line-breed? If so, what's the closest you have bred?
Have the parent dogs been shown? Are the parents champions? What titles have they earned? If they are not, they shouldn't be bred. Not that they're not bad dogs if not, but only dogs that are certified to conform to the proper breed standard should be bred, period.
How many generations do you know the pedigree? Should know minimum 3 generations.
Are the parent dogs on site? Most breeders own the dam and pay for a stud dog, so at minimum you should be able to meet the dam. If scheduling a visit ahead of time, sometimes the breeder can arrange to have the sire present as well for you to meet.
Where do your dogs live? What are the living conditions of the breeder's dog? My breed should be an indoor dog, so any breeder that kept them kenneled outside was crossed off the list. Again, know your breed. Living conditions (adequate space, room to exercise, cleanliness, fresh water) is better determined during an on-site visit.
Do you test your dogs' health? Should be yes.
What have the parent dogs been tested for? For my breed (mastiff), I asked about hips, elbows, heart, PRA/eyes, temperament, thyroid, etc. From your research of the breed, you should know what health issues the breed is prone to develop. You should also have an idea of genetic problems are the bare minimum the dogs should be cleared for, and which are "icing on the cake". If they don't test, ask why. Never having had a problem is NOT an answer.

PUPPY
Are you planning on keeping a puppy from this litter? Yes, they should be.
How do you pick a puppy for yourself? What do you personally look for in a puppy?
Are any steps taken to socialize the pups to: children? strangers/adults? other dogs? other animals? public places? different noises? The more the better, provided it's acceptable for the pups' level of immunization.
How do you match puppies to potential buyers? Just buyer preference?Do they administer the Puppy Aptitude Test?
What are the pups being fed? Any supplements? Should be provided good quality food. Answers will vary depending on breed requirements. Again, research and know your breed.
What comes with the puppy when we take it home? Written instructions? Bag of food? Collar? Snuggle toy or something with the dam/littermates' scent? If these are not provided, you should prepare in advance and have them ready for your pup.

TERMS OF THE CONTRACT
Cost of the puppy?
Do they require pet quality pups to be spayed/neutered? At what age? They should. I would be wary of the breeder's ethical standards and breeding practices if the did not require this of their pet quality pups.
What are the terms of the contract? Any guarantees? What conditions do they impose?
How long do they guarantee the pup for genetic health problems? May vary with the breed and how long certain genetic problems take to exhibit symptoms, etc. For me, I expected ~2 years.
Do you take back dogs in case anything happens or buyers can no longer take care of them? Any refund in such a case? Reputable breeders take back their dogs always. They require that you contact them if you need to rehome the dog for whatever reasons. A truly aggressive dog may be the exception.
Have you ever had any problens with any of your pups, or have any ever had to be returned? Be suspicious if the breeder says they've NEVER had a problem. The problem may not even be the dog's fault, so don't cross off a breeder just because they have had issues. You're looking for honesty. If there was a problem (health or returned dog), how was the promlem handled?
Do you remain in touch with your buyers? The breeder should demand to be in contact with buyers. If not, be suspicious that they just want to seal the deal and be gone once they get their money.
Will you be available as a resource as I raise my pup? They should welcome questions and be there to help raise the pup.
Do you provide detailed information on care, feeding, exercise, etc? Ideally, they would give you written material that explains everything. If not, just ask and write them down. If they keep in touch, then you can maintain ongoing communication as the pup grows.

Keep in mind, a good breeder will be asking questions to and interviewing YOU in order to determine whether they want to leave one of their precious babies in your care. So be ready to get grilled as well.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:52 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,708,179 times
Just go to your local shelter and adopt a homeless one. They always have a selection of different breeds. And you will be sure to find the one you are looking for or maybe one you least expected to. I am sure there is one sitting there waiting for you! Not only will you be saving alot of time searching, but you will be saving a life at the same time! Not only will you leave the shelter with a wonderful pet, but a wonderful feeling in your heart! That wonderful pet will thank you for the rest of its life, because you gave it one! For this you will be guaranteed!

Old 10-08-2008, 06:41 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,932,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticklerkid View Post
Take your pedigrees and go online to the OFA database and other health testing sites. Enter the name of the ancestors of the dogs in your pedigree and take note of the prefixes (kennel names) and other details of the dogs which have certifications. Take notes and see which bloodlines have the most research done on them. In the case of people who have neutered pets in the bloodline, be aware that sometimes orthopedic, temperamental issues, and osteosarcoma and other such issues may run higher in those dogs. Secondary effects of neutering can actually alter genetic potential, so if you are planning to use a dog in agility for example, you might get a well bred dog, allow it to mature before neutering.
Researching the OFA Database OFA: Search OFA Records is a very important part of selecting a good breeder and a good bloodline. As you review a dog's pedigree you will see real life examples of how genetic predisposition for some diseases runs through certain bloodlines. The Institute for Genetic Disease Control also has a searchable database. GDC (Institute for Genetic Disease Control).

Also, if you have a purebred dog that DOES develop problems, please check the registries to see if a survey is available to register that particular problem and complete it. By doing so, you will help further the research into defining how prevalent some diseases are and enable breeders to find ways to eliminate some horrible diseases from the genetic pool.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 AM

4,641 posts, read 12,008,899 times
Thank you so much for all of your advice; particularly regarding the databases Leorah, I tried to give you more reps, but it wouldn't let me. *sigh* guess I'll have to wait a little while to spread some more rep ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs