Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,532,487 times

Advertisements

Poor Holt.
Lucky he in home he is, some would just put down as not want the time to teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:29 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,367,048 times
Yep - puppy mill and backyard breeders who don't know what they are doing and breed only the most popular dogs are the ones responsible for ruining certain breeds... dalmatians, old english sheepdogs, irish setters, rottweilers, dobermans, german shepherds, cocker spaniels, labradors, golden retrievers.... all have been in the most popular breeds to have, esp. the ones that have had movies made about them are in danger of this. Dogs go in and out of fashion you know.

There are small breeders though, that do not have large kennel facilities and only breed like 1 litter a year and do it well... you can hardly lump those people in with the backyard breeders.

The problem with many people is that they do not seek out the proper breed for their lifestyle and then they have issues and end up giving the animal up. This is where the breed specific rescues see their problems many times.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 AM

gardener34

There are small breeders though, that do not have large kennel facilities and only breed like 1 litter a year and do it well... you can hardly lump those people in with the backyard breeders.

These are the hobby breeders like me. May have 1-3 females breed 1 litter per female 1time every year or 2 depending on litter size and such. Small scale easier to keep records,easier to socialize and keep up with new owners.

I had one go to forever home Saturday she has wrote everyday on his progress,with being on lead,potty breaks (surprised 10 weeks old scratched at door but we have doggie door) and no puddles or piles on floor.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:05 PM

216 posts, read 682,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Here is link with definitions between puppy mills,backyard breeders,hobby and commercial breeders.

Dog Owner's Guide: What is a Puppy Mill?

Read this over will show where it all stands.

Think gameroom thinking more of hobby breeder than backyard breeder,just misunderstanding of terms.
That is a great resource.....great explanation of the different types of breeders.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM

216 posts, read 682,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Thank you, dreamhunter, for posting this link. Very informative.

Hepcat - excellent post. I have a blind Rottweiler whose EYES HAD TO BE REMOVED from congenital glaucoma when he was 10 months old. He was having the equivalent of a migraine headache every day of his life due to pressure behind his eyes.

Holt wasn't born blind...it developed over 10 months...and when he was found to be blind he was cut loose by his owner at Johns Hopkins to fend for himself. Thank God for good Samaritans.

You can't tell me Holt came from a litter where someone was concerned about furthering the breed, or even knew the history of the male and female....and ya gotta wonder what happened to his siblings. They were probably part of the 1,000,000 euthanized.
That is so terribly sad...I did not mean to sound preachy in my post, but so many people, even if they are well intentioned, breed dogs indiscriminately and cause horrible suffering...like the case of your poor Rottie. I know a woman who found two very young Lab puppies by the side of a busy roadway, obviously dumped. No mills around here, but plenty of BYBers. She took one, and a friend took the other. Before they were a year old, they were both so severly dysplastic they were virtually crippled, and required thousands of dollars in hip surgery to be pain free and able to walk normally. Bless their hearts, both owners payed for surgery and the dogs are fine. She jokes about how much her "free" dog cost her.

But I do think there is a special place in hell for the breeders who cause animals that much suffering.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:10 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,023,798 times
I am a firm believer in going to an AKC show and finding your breeder there. About 14 years ago, my brother got his yellow lab from a woman whose dog had won best of breed at Westminster. My dad had actually gone into the benching area, spoken to this woman, and several months later....my brother had his dog.

About 4 years ago, my parents got their own dog from her as well. It was a trial to get him, since this breeder had started to focus on service dogs. Sure enough though, they got their black lab, who is, without a doubt, the sweetest, most docile creature you could imagine.

If someone has their heart set on a specific breed, I will *always* suggest going to dog shows and speaking to the breeders there. If they are spending all this money to be in dog shows, you KNOW they're in it for the good of the breed.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 PM

Look at shows if want a show dog,field trials for working dogs as show dogs lose alot of what bred for when bred for looks.
I will not show even though regional AKC judge told me had grand champion female on hands which she was bred for but I do Search and Rescue and my time spent training for that which is a lifelong commitment also. I have no time for shows and American bloodhound club breeder told me that my female not wrinkly enough to show. Just shows difference between club and AKC people.
Not everyone that breeds great dogs, shows dogs.In my eyes do not have to show to have a good dog either unless breeding for show.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,685,918 times
Default English Golden Retriever Breeder

We found a great breeder of English Golden Retrievers in upstate NY. Limits breeding of her females and works with the puppies and has them just about housebroken, basic training words accomplished by the time they go home. She came highly recommended by a local vet. What impressed us more than anything, she refused to sell two of her puppies to people after interviewing them as she felt it wasn't in the best interest of the puppies.

Last edited by Ellwood; 03-03-2008 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: error

Old 03-03-2008, 04:21 PM

Good she was looking out for what matters most the pups!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,245,441 times
This is in deed a great thread. I myself am a Lab man. Some consider me a resourse for helping to train their new puppies. LOL The training is for the owners.
ALL puppies seem to be loveable cute toys. Then they grow a bit. Their nature begins to exert itself.
What amazes me is people who live in the country assume that its perfect for active dogs.... Well it would be if the dog was not allowed to roam at will. Lazy owners and bad breeders are the death of way to many dogs. I feel that I have gained a world of skill raising dogs, understand breeding etc. I do not believe myself qualified to be a breeder tho. One must become the expert to be a breeder. Backyard breeders? Nah I don't think so. Dream hunter is the example of what it takes to be a good breeder. A genuine love for the breed and their animals.
Dreamhunter has called it out. Know what you want. Show dogs are not field dogs. They have been bred for different uses. Differing temperments follow.
I don't hunt birds anymore but love the field dogs. Love taking them out and giving them their work outs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs