Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:06 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times

Advertisements

My sister just took her JRT mix in for a dental; bloodwork, extractions and cleaning and with the 15% she got for it being dental health month at the clinic (WY), she paid right around $250.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 PM

157 posts, read 564,511 times
I just had one of my cockers teeth done last week. $93. for the cleaning.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:56 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,739 times
From what I've been told at 7 yrs the dog should have bloodwork to check the liver, kidney functions, etc., before be put under.
I had to do that for mine at 7, and preferred it to a bad surprise.

My dogs are 12 and 13 now. The 12 yr. old never has needed teeth cleaning, he's always been a great chewer, on rawhides, bones and the vet comments on how white and clean his teeth are.

The 13 yr. old had his done at 7. He didn't much care for chewing, but now for the last 3 or 4 yrs they've been eating a "greenie" after dinner. The 13 yr. old loves it as much as the good chewer. I'll keep doing that instead of teeth cleaning at their age.
Good luck with the pearlie whites!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
I just had one of my cockers teeth done last week. $93. for the cleaning.
that sees to be a great price, did they do the blood work and put the dog to sleep? all for that price,

Old 01-18-2008, 05:09 PM

1,455 posts, read 190,801 times
I had my 7 yrs teeth cleaned last month and it cost $247.00 blood work and antibiotics included. The cleaning itself was $167.50 They turned out great. if he needed extractions they would have charged $400.00 per hour she reckoned it would take approx 15 mins or so an extraction. I'm happy to say he didn't need any. He had a bad reaction to the antibiotic and was changed over to a different one which added another $10.00 After the cleaning I was told it was normal for him to be groggy, not himself and wouldn't eat for 24-48 hours which he was all of the above but by day 3-4 he was back to his "normal" self. I felt it was well worth getting it done no matter how much they were charging as if he had bad teeth he could end up with an infection or multiple extractions which would have cost a lot more in the long run.

We have pet insurance and are waiting to see how much they will reimburse us.

Good luck

Old 01-18-2008, 05:43 PM

157 posts, read 564,511 times
No, that was just the cleaning. Lab work is $55. The $93 does include the exam though. My vet uses a laser for cleaning so the anesthesia is lighter. The dogs are wide awake in less than an hour.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:55 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,018 times
We always let people know, that about 90% of the time, the bloodwork is normal. Great! But the other 10%, we find something wrong. And since a dental is an elective surgery (not necessary for life, most of the time), it is cancelled.

We had a couple of clients that didn't choose to do the bloodwork, and their dog was in renal failure. The one I remember, the dog died a few weeks later, because of anesthesia effects. He has always held a horrible guilt for skipping the $48 bloodwork.

Just do the bloodwork!! (one found with renal failure was only 6 years old!!)

Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Our vet always recommends the bloodwork. I have schnauzers that were prone to cysts and hang tags..so I used to have those removed at the same time. The teeth cleaning would actually be the cheapest part of the day...anesthesia, blood work and path labs done on the cysts were the big kickers. I have an 8 year old schnauzer with an enlarged heart who now visits a cardiologist every 9 months. Don't even get me started!

Old 01-20-2008, 07:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
We always let people know, that about 90% of the time, the bloodwork is normal. Great! But the other 10%, we find something wrong. And since a dental is an elective surgery (not necessary for life, most of the time), it is cancelled.

We had a couple of clients that didn't choose to do the bloodwork, and their dog was in renal failure. The one I remember, the dog died a few weeks later, because of anesthesia effects. He has always held a horrible guilt for skipping the $48 bloodwork.

Just do the bloodwork!! (one found with renal failure was only 6 years old!!)
my dog Angel, did have this! blood work! then No- then, o k she did enjoy life,
til 14 plus years. Yes an Angel!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 18,709 times
Default Dental Hygiene (short story)

My small poodle just came back today from a MAJOR dental operation, 2 weeks ago i paid 200 dollars for antibiotics (30 days worth) and blood work. she is 12 years old and had very bad teeth and the worst donkey breath known to the animal kingdom. (love her to death still). I got a lot of information from sites like this because i was nervous to put this great dog through this procedure. Now that its over its the best thing i ever did for her. its been 18 hours and she is doing great. Here is a run down of costs,

iv therapy $48
anesthetic indroduction $99.74
antesthetic maintenance 3.5 hours $765.60
polish $112.50
x rays $46.10
exam $17.10
extractions 2 hours $515.00
cyst removal 10 minutes $75.00
post op $35.00
hospitalalization half day 64.70
post op codeine 18.91

total 1887.53

As i said before this was a major procedure, she lost almost all her teeth. i would like to stess that weekly brushing is important and i did try to keep her teeth clean but some breeds just get bad teeth, i love this dog and only wish i would have had them cleaned by a hospital at about age 6

i was quoted from another animal hospital at $775.00, but was not comfortable with them, they seemed rushed, didnt think she need antibiotics, xrays or post op pain management to name a few things.

hope this helps,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs