Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:40 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

My current foster has stubs for front teeth. I don't know how/why, but 10 of her front teeth are ground to stubs, 4 lower and 6 upper. What's been offered as suggestions are: she was used as bait dog, was kept in a cage. It doesn't matter why/how, she has stubs and the result is 2 problems:

1. She cannot eat normal food - no kibble, even canned is problematic if it has lumps. Everything has to be moved to the molars to chew and some stuff falls out of her mouth. Small pieces of hot dog are problematic even.

2. She might be in pain - these are open teeth - not capped, and no root canals.

So my concern is how to eliminate her pain without removing these stubs. She has ehrlicia and is HW+ - We are looking at 6 months before she could have surgery to remove the stubs.

Is there any product that I personally can coat her teeth with to minimize/eliminate pain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
I have one with worn front teeth because she likes to dig up and ripped apart tree roots with her teeth.

Vets will also grind down the front teeth on dogs that have a undershot jaw.

Front teeth are not needed to kill or tear kibble or caned food apart.
Even with all good teeth food still falls out of our dogs mouths when they eat.

If her teeth were bothering her she would shy away from cold water in the water bowl.

If it really concerns you talk to your vet.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 AM

I am waiting for them to discuss this with the vet. I'm the foster.

We aren't talking about ground down, we are talking about teeth ground down to the gumline and the upper canine as well. As for the teeth not being needed to kill, tear kibble, or canned food; since she's not eating food with any lumps, it's an indication she's in pain. She shies away from cold food, even pieces of turkey/chicken/hamburg and seems to have trouble getting even a small nibble of hot dog - as I watch her, she's trying to move things to her back teeth - which indicates at least sensitivity to me.

So while I wait for the vet consult, I would like to help her out. A coating of some kind, some kind of dental glue, something that will stick to her teeth to prevent pain.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
Our adopted dog was previously a rock chewer. All her front teeth including one of her lower canines are flat/stumpish. The one lower canine is worn about half down, the front teeth are all severely ground. The other canines also are worn down as well, but not as much. She has no problems eating kibble or treats, including biscuits. She always takes the food and puts it down and then consumes it. It falls out too.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
You could try something like Anbesol or any toothache remedy I would think.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
I agree, maybe call the vet and see if you can use a bit of Anbesol to help her so she can eat. My dog doesn't show any symptoms of pain in her teeth, even though they're worn down

Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
You could try something like Anbesol or any toothache remedy I would think.
When we had a dog with bad mouth pain, our vet said Anbesol was fine. It did seem to help.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
I agree her not eating is probably from the pain as we had a cat when I was growing up that was born with bad teeth ( his mother was a starving stray) and by the time he was a few years old he had to have all of his teeth removed..didn't stop him from eating at all. My mom gave him canned food but he would eat his then go eat the dry kibble the other cat hadHe loved food.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM

I didn't think of anbesol - thanks, I will try some

Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I'm not sure if you can use this on a dog, but it's worked for me when I had a cavity.

Amazon.com: denttemp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs