Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times

Advertisements

unreal

Service Animal Thrown Out Of Hospital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM

621 posts, read 1,423,690 times
the law that no one can ask what the dog is for, or have the owner carry something showing that it is indeed a certified service dog is crazy. True service dog owners need to step up and get their act together.

Too many today using "service dogs" as a way to get them on airplanes, in stores, restaurants.....real, trained dogs... no problem what so ever!!!! The fakes are ruining it for the true working animals and the people who need them.

I don't know anything about this particular case..... no more then what was in the video. Just saying.. in general.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:09 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,879,579 times
from what VERY little information was given in that the only reason it seems the dog was forced to leave was because of its breed...
the fact that the idiot refuses to move forward with a case if I were her id be contacting the ADA directly...

even had there been official "certification" they would have still given her issues based soley on the dogs breed...

I hope she takes this as far as itll go...as someone with a service dog partner I fin the lack of knowledge and follow through on a FEDERAL law appauling!
and the fact that this seems to be soley breed bias, even worse...

Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
Admistrator claims the dog was running loose.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:52 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,775,959 times
Yes,very strange case. Wish we had more info.

As previous poster notes, prosecutor won't file charges because he says dog was running loose. Wonder what he meant by that ? Simply having the dog with her ? Was the dog wandering around ?

A service dog on a visit in a hospital should be curled up at its owner's feet, not moving and doing nothing.
Did the owner take it off leash in the room and let it roam ? Was it a private room or a shared one ? Or is this people just freaking out over the breed ?

Maybe the length of the visit had something to do with it ? Article said she was there for hours. Combination of factors maybe . I guess we just have to wait and see what happens next if anything.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM

I taken Katie into my local Hospital. I too was visiting a friend we were their 15-20 mins no problems. I also took Non Service animals ... Therapy Dogs in Hospitals & Nursing Homes Never been told to leave! Yes I think there is more to what happened than she told.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:09 PM

BTW my gf took her Rottie & I also had Dobie I taken into Hospitals & Nursing homes to visit!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,397,841 times
There is a lot of "shock" value to the story...now, honestly, I would like to know the rest of the story....

Did the person she was visiting, sharing the room with her friend, have a fear of pit bulls? If so, that is intrusive, and interfering with care/comfort of another patient.

We just don't know all the facts here...a service dog is not license to put the rest of the world at your convenience. A service dog provides you with a service, but not to the point where it interferes with care of a patient in a hospital. Not appropriate.

Can anyone justify that it was absolutely, necessary to bring the dog to the hospital? If the person cannot function without the service the dog provides for even a half hour, then, maybe the visit to the hospital was not needed.

I, support service dogs, have friends with service dogs...but, there are times, when the dog is left at home. Maybe, this could have been one of those times.

Some people are deathly afraid of Pit Bulls, and is a Pit Bull the best choice for a service dog, knowing that there are people who are afraid of Pit Bulls? It seems to me, that if I absolutely needed a service dog, I would choose one that would not create controversy, after all, the goal is a dog to provide a service to a person with a disability...can't a Golden Retriver be trained in the same capacity as a Pit Bull? Just a thought here....I personally have nothing against Pit Bulls...or people with disabilities, or service dogs....

I worked with a young man who had a service dog, it was a cross between a Doberman, and a
Rottweiler. Great dog, scared everyone. The dog actually isolated this man from others, because they were so afraid of the dog. He traded the dog for a chocolate lab, worked much better for him.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,130,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is a lot of "shock" value to the story...now, honestly, I would like to know the rest of the story....

Did the person she was visiting, sharing the room with her friend, have a fear of pit bulls? If so, that is intrusive, and interfering with care/comfort of another patient.

We just don't know all the facts here...a service dog is not license to put the rest of the world at your convenience. A service dog provides you with a service, but not to the point where it interferes with care of a patient in a hospital. Not appropriate.

Can anyone justify that it was absolutely, necessary to bring the dog to the hospital? If the person cannot function without the service the dog provides for even a half hour, then, maybe the visit to the hospital was not needed.

I, support service dogs, have friends with service dogs...but, there are times, when the dog is left at home. Maybe, this could have been one of those times.

Some people are deathly afraid of Pit Bulls, and is a Pit Bull the best choice for a service dog, knowing that there are people who are afraid of Pit Bulls? It seems to me, that if I absolutely needed a service dog, I would choose one that would not create controversy, after all, the goal is a dog to provide a service to a person with a disability...can't a Golden Retriver be trained in the same capacity as a Pit Bull? Just a thought here....I personally have nothing against Pit Bulls...or people with disabilities, or service dogs....

I worked with a young man who had a service dog, it was a cross between a Doberman, and a
Rottweiler. Great dog, scared everyone. The dog actually isolated this man from others, because they were so afraid of the dog. He traded the dog for a chocolate lab, worked much better for him.
My SD (who has just passed) was a full blooded Golden Retriever and there people who would literally scream and run way when they saw us. They would scream at the top of their lungs and cause a scene. My Freedom would look around confused, trying to find the 'dog' that they were screeching about.

I understand that there are people who are afraid of dogs and admit that I was usually the patient not a visitor in hospital situations, but the few times that I visited I would contact the Nurse's station and ask them if a visit was appropriate. I never visited if someone was on the surgical ward.

Did I miss out on a couple of visits but knew from experience that most patients were worn out from visits and phone calls were more appropriate.

Every situation and every team is different.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:13 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,690,317 times
The guy interviewed said something about how he doesn't see how someone having a pitbull running loose qualifies as a service animal.

He is absolutely, 100%+ correct, RUNNING LOOSE being the issue.

I don't know if he said RUNNING LOOSE to inflame the situation or because the dog actually was running loose. If the dog truly was running loose, or in any way NOT ON A LEASH AND UNDER COMPLETE CONTROL, it should definitely get kicked out of any place along with its brain dead owner.

I have a service dog. I would never in a million years let it run loose.

Some time ago, I had a Therapy Dog. I didn't let it "run loose", either, but it was allowed off leash once in a reasonably confined area such as a hospital room with door that closed. It was still always under my control.

Fake service dogs and stupid/irresponsible owners are going to ruin it for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs