Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,991,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't know if he said RUNNING LOOSE to inflame the situation or because the dog actually was running loose. If the dog truly was running loose, or in any way NOT ON A LEASH AND UNDER COMPLETE CONTROL, it should definitely get kicked out of any place along with its brain dead owner.
THIS...the whole story is sketchy at best...

if the dog was running loose doenst matter if its a ppit, lab, or Chihuahua it had no right or reason and the hospital was well within its rights....

however for all we know the running loose" was actually calm quiet onleash and under control....

BREED has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING....it shouldn't matter what the breed is, many people are scared fo ALL dogs does that mean all dogs should get banned because someone MIGHT be afraid of dogs?
my service dog is a 65lb Doberman...people ARE afraid of Dobermans...
but shes working shes under control shes focused on me and they have no buinsess coming neer either of us ANYWAY...if there afraid of her they are welcome to walk the opposite direction or take a few steps back if they so wish but as long as shes not purposely getting up in their business or acting in a menacing way they can get the heck over it...

i know many people who hate small dogs, should that mean we shouldn't allow them to be service dogs?
plenty of people afraid of sheperds...cant use them either...

ANY breed restriction is a slippery slope...pitties wouldn't be my breed of choice for service, but that's more based on physical practicallty for my needs, too short to help with balance assistance and ive never met a pitty who didn't LIVE to love people so id be worried about human distraction....
i LOVE seeing pits as therapy dogs though...they LIVE for the hands on luvins and attention!
but then a lab wouldn't be my breed of choice either (i realy don't get along with labs)...so why should i HAVE to have a lab or golden just because people might be afraid of the breed im using?

the dobe works perfect for me, tall enough to help with balance, agile enough to scoot under a table/seat at a resturaunt, strong enough to pull if i need it, short low shedding easy maintence coat. high intelligence and eagerness to work
and as a breed they bond incredibly strongly with their people which makes them very attune to changes in body chemistry for medical alert work...
but omg shes a dobe someone might be afraid for her cant use one of those!

same goes for ANY "scary" breed, would you deny someone a pit because someone else might be afraid of it even if the pit was the perfect match for that person and their disability?
same goes for a shepherd, or mastiff breed, or toy dog...

breed shouldn't matter, matching the dog to the persons needs both for service AND life is much more important.

in this case however that's all irrelevant...
ignoring breed all together if the dog was running loose absolulty out it goes...(however she should have been given the option to come back without the dog and not simply told to leave) if howver the dog was just there doing its thing behaving and people were simply "scared" because of its breed...then absolutely NOT ok...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs