Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:38 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,242,848 times

Advertisements

There is a good chance the dog is suffering from systematic yeast. Vets are masters at ignoring yeast while treating the dog with antibiotics, steroids and all kinds of other expensive and useless drugs. It will only continue to cycle and get worse with the typical mis-treatment that is commonly prescribed.

Find a good holistic vet and start detoxing the dog to get the yeast out of it's system. Anything else will just keep driving it deeper, creating flare-ups, and leading to all kinds of ear infections and secondary skin infections down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,318,077 times
Bichons are notorious for skin problems. Lucy was a miserable mess for so long till I finally went to seafood grainfree food. Specialty store - not vet- told me that any animal which eats grain and then is used in pet food will just pass on that grain to a pet very sensitive to grains. This change has meant the world of difference to our Lucy and she never scratches b/c she is on flea and tick repellent as well as completely grain free food. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 858 times
Default Camomille tea

Doogie is a 15 year old cockapoo and had been itching and biting for quite some time. We had tried everything from diet change to allergy pills to creams, special shampoos and the SHOT!!! Finally I turned to a friend of mine who has had standard poodles forever and she told me to try Shredded Wheat and Butter Milk. We have been giving him that for lunch for about a month now. He has eased up a bit on the itching some and now just licks a lot on his feet, both front and back. I always check his feet after he comes back from going outside and rubbing them to warm him up. He still licked them. My groomer found something about Camomile Tea. [URL="http://canigivemydog.com/chamomile-tea"]Can I Give My Dog Chamomile Tea?[/URL] We started doing this about 2 weeks ago and he barely licks or scratches at all. I have a little hard time getting him to drink it, but I rub it into his legs and feet every evening after potty break after supper. He still licks the wet off but that's about it. He - and us - sleep so much better now.

About the Shredded Wheat: Doogie weighs 17# and we give him 1/2 biscuit of the Shredded Wheat and 1/4 cup Butter Milk. He's not all that about the Butter Milk. My husband sprinkles just a dab of Garlic Powder on top and he eats it all up.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:17 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,621,431 times
I feel so badly for your poor pup. There are just so many things that can make a dog itch like that. In a lot of these cases I suspect damage to the immune system that has been caused by the over vaccination we subject our pets to. With a impaired immune system there are endless things that can cause problems. We have recently stopped using any commercial soap or detergent products on our floors or furniture as many dogs are very sensitive to them. Many dogs with this problem have responded very well to a bathing regimen using, Evening primrose oil shampoo. https://www.iodogs.com/t-contact.aspx

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I recommend spraying the effected area a few times per day with a high quality Colloidal silver. I have one itchy dog who I spray morning and night along with rubbing some coconut oil on before bed. It keeps the itch in check and the silver heals all the skin irritation along with killing any yeast or bacteria. There is a holistic Vet in Orangeville Ontario who is excellent. She is a DMV but uses a natural and holistic approach. She would be about an hour and a half from the peace bridge in Buffalo. You could send me a message if you want her contact info.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:09 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,800,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie Bowser's Mom View Post
Doogie is a 15 year old cockapoo and had been itching and biting for quite some time. We had tried everything from diet change to allergy pills to creams, special shampoos and the SHOT!!! Finally I turned to a friend of mine who has had standard poodles forever and she told me to try Shredded Wheat and Butter Milk. We have been giving him that for lunch for about a month now. He has eased up a bit on the itching some and now just licks a lot on his feet, both front and back. I always check his feet after he comes back from going outside and rubbing them to warm him up. He still licked them. My groomer found something about Camomile Tea. Can I Give My Dog Chamomile Tea? We started doing this about 2 weeks ago and he barely licks or scratches at all. I have a little hard time getting him to drink it, but I rub it into his legs and feet every evening after potty break after supper. He still licks the wet off but that's about it. He - and us - sleep so much better now.

About the Shredded Wheat: Doogie weighs 17# and we give him 1/2 biscuit of the Shredded Wheat and 1/4 cup Butter Milk. He's not all that about the Butter Milk. My husband sprinkles just a dab of Garlic Powder on top and he eats it all up.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.
I would not give a dog garlic powder, garlic is toxic to dogs. Too much dairy can also irritate their digestive system.

I had a poodle growing up that was allergic to grass. As long as we kept him off the grass he was fine. The area where he exercised was gravel and mulch.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 PM

160 posts, read 385,931 times
My mom is a breeder. Our dogs break out every now and then and we rub benedryl on the skin and it clears it right up.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:07 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,196,103 times
This is very frustrating and it seems like you've tried everything. I worked with a vet for four years who specialized in dermatology. Cockers are known for skin problems. I'd like to make a few suggestions, some other have made as well. I think you should try a different diet, maybe venison. When I say venison, I mean nothing else. Many times people don't realize it but even if you are giving a monthly oral heartworm prevention, you are feeding something else such as beef. No treats unless they are made from the venison food. Next, flea prevention. I believe topical flea prevention works best if used properly. I would suggest something like Frontline or Advantage. Hartz is not a good choice. Make sure it gets onto the skin and not onto the hair. Make sure you don't apply until 24 hours of bathing and no bathing for 24 hours after application. Make sure you use a soap free shampoo when you bathe your dog or you will wash the topical off. You could use baby shampoo. If the flea prevention seems to wear off sooner than 30 day, you can reapply every 2-3 weeks. Wipe your dogs feet off when she comes in from outside as well.

Has the vet done a skin tape test to see if it's yeast or bacteria? Have any of the vets done a culture of the skin to see what bacteria it is? Many times a dog will be underdosed with the antibiotic or not treated long enough. It needs to continue a week past clearing up. Have you tried Omega 3 fatty acids? I think the bottom line is to figure out what is causing the itching if possible. (to me, it resembles contact allergy) This will prevent chewing and itching and further skin infections. One other thought, some dogs can have autoimmune skin disease.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,772 times
Hopefully this will help with the itchy skin and allergy problems. My moms dog has the worst skin problems along with ear infection. He has a horrible smell along with it. He has been on every medicine you can imagine. I recently took him to the vet for yet another skin infection. While we were waiting a woman had told us she had a shih tzu too. We asked her about skin problems with her dog. She said oh no I give him organic coconut oil every day. So were like it cant be that simple. Well we went and bought it and OMG its been 3 weeks and he is totally better. NO smell no rash no itching. The dose is 1 Tablespoon per 30 lbs. BE CAREFUL you have to start slowly on the dose and work your way up. You can look it up online about how to dose your dog. He is on a non grain wet food and blue grain free hard food. We also give him 1 fish oil pill a day. You will not believe how good it works. I also at first rubbed his entire body with it to kill the outside infection. I don't have to do this now because the coconut oil cleared him up..

Old 05-29-2019, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 267 times
I have a 5 month cocker. he continually crouched beneath his ear, also eats his own feet. but sometimes he eats his poop and every kind of food he finds. I dont know what to do .

Old 05-29-2019, 02:45 AM

8,645 posts, read 11,081,575 times
drubery.

if you have a hot tub or pool, and you use chlorine in it, if the dog walks in the splashed water, it can pick up a rash.
I went through this for 4 years trying to find out why my dog kept getting this rash.
On my own, after spending thousands over a four year period, I discovered it was the chlorine that was causing the rash.

Once I changed to non chemical products for the hot tub, he has been rash free for over a year now.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs