Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 34,229 times

Advertisements

My 5 year old cocker spaniel has been diagnosed with Pemphigus Foliaceus, an auto immune skin condition, after a skin biopsy was done. We have been going to the vet and now to a dermatologist for the last 4 months and Sunny was initially treated for allergies followed by skin and ear infection. He's been on antihistamines, antibiotics, ear drops, medicated shampoo and conditioner and nothing seemed to help. He would get better for about a week or so and start to break out all over again. After his diagnosis he has been on a high dose of prednisone; he did really well for a week and now he is starting to break out again. We do go to the dermatologist in 3 days and Sunny would be on the prednisone for 12 days on Wednesday Feb 4. Is anyone familiar with this condition? I read it is quite rare in cocker spaniels.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 11:53 AM

82 posts, read 439,951 times
I've never heard of but did look it up. Apparently prednisone is the choice of drub to hopefully bring it to remisison.
Pemphigus Foliaceus in 91 Dogs -- Mueller et al. 42 (3): 189 -- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association

Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 PM

119 posts, read 429,088 times
I had a Saint mix (he was my baby) who suffered from Pemphigus almost all of the 5 years of his life. Be very careful of the Pred dosage. Too much Pred can kill your dog. The high dose cannot be maintained for two long. Kodi almost died from Iatrogenic Cushings Disease (vet caused), from high doses of Prednisone. Too much Pred can lead to increased thirst, weight gain (they will eat anything, no matter what it is), Congestive Heart Failure, rapid panting, and weak muscles (they deteriorate), Generally Azathioprine will be prescribed, and the Prednisone will be gradually reduced (can't do it quickly, as that can cause major problems too). Our vet (who consulted with Cornell Vet Hospital) alternated the Prednisone and the Azathioprine, which worked well. I had a 160 pound Saint Bernard mix on 15 mg of Pred every other day.

You need to be very careful with Pemphigus, it attacks the organs (and Prednisone can damage them): the liver in particular. You may want to think about an ultrasound in the future. Pemphigus also decreases longevity, which is very difficult to face. I went through hell and back with Kodi, was at the vet and Cornell constantly, and he only lived 5 years. But, every penny I spent (and it ran well over $10,000) was worth it.

Good luck with your dogs treatment, and please seek out a veterinary college hospital, as they are always up on the newest research and treatment.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,304 times
I have a question for you, I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback who has been diganosed with the same thing. She has been on steroids for a while now. I want to wheen her off of them, but the vet says that without them we would have to put her down. I know there must be other treatments for her, are there any vets or dermatologist in memphis that you would recommend?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
I would be interested in knowing the dog's vaccine history.

Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

Old 06-12-2009, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,121 times
Default 9yrs old cocker with pemphius

I have a 9yr old cocker spaniel with pemphius since Dec 22-08. She has been on medrol, azathiprine,antibiotics, losec, medicated shampoos 3 times a week and she is still sick today June 12-09. I see a vet dermatologist now only once a month instead of every week and I don't think my dog will get any better. The meds are affecting her liver and the vets don't have any other ideas. She is still a happy and active dog for now, but I don't know for how much longer. They do want to give her an ultra sound on her liver, but what good will that do. The meds are affecting her liver and without the meds she'll get the full blown affects of the disease again. I think for my dog it's a losing battle, but she is a part of our family and we will make sure that she enjoys the life that she has now with this disease. Good luck to any pet and pet owner that has this disease.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:46 PM

119 posts, read 429,088 times
I think the only thing you can do is enjoy being with them as long as you can, and make their life as happy and full of love as possible. The Pemphigus does shorten their lives, and so do the medications. I was lucky to have Kodi with me for 5 years (he died a year ago yesterday), but still wish he were lying by my feet. It's a horrible disease that I wish they would find a cure for.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,197 times
Our 6 year old bulldog was diagnosed with pemphigus fol about 2 and a half weeks ago, I feel she is depressed because of the steroids, and is so upset she can't make the walks with her brother..at the moment she is on 2 different types of anti biotics, the steroids (10 a day) and a sleepy painkiller..she had 7 biopsys in total and we've discovered today that 1 of her paws is still so swollen she is in pain to walk....she has never even so much as let out a whimper...we are not going to let this thing take her away when she's got a few years left in her...what is the root cause of this thing though, what triggers it??she is so weak, I'm longing to see her run around..does anybody know of anything she can take natural that may help

Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 PM

765 posts, read 2,440,151 times
When I was growing up we had a cocker cross which had a terrible skin condition - which sounds very similiar to what your cocker has. She was diagnosed as having a thyroid condition, and lived on thyroid meds. Very sad - bald patches and sores all over her.

After she had passed, I had an Aunt with a dog with a similiar problem in a dachshund - and she went on an all natural home made food diet. I wish we had tried that....you don't mention diet - have you tried different foods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs