Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 AM

349 posts, read 616,648 times

Advertisements

UPDATE!

I took Daisy to a new vet, who did a thorough exam and concluded that she has allergies- I knew she was allergic to fleas, but didn't know the severity. He couldn't find any on her, or any flea dander, but the several bites from LAST YEAR are what's causing her such discomfort right now. He gave her Cortisone tablets and a spray, and suggested a medicated shampoo (I bought it) and Daisy's fur is slowly looking better... the patches are clearing up, the fur is very slowly growing in and no new patches have appeared.

He also said she has OILY skin, not dry skin, and he's right- since I started using the new shampoo I can see the difference.

She's on her way to getting better! What a nightmare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
UPDATE!

I took Daisy to a new vet, who did a thorough exam and concluded that she has allergies- I knew she was allergic to fleas, but didn't know the severity. He couldn't find any on her, or any flea dander, but the several bites from LAST YEAR are what's causing her such discomfort right now. He gave her Cortisone tablets and a spray, and suggested a medicated shampoo (I bought it) and Daisy's fur is slowly looking better... the patches are clearing up, the fur is very slowly growing in and no new patches have appeared.

He also said she has OILY skin, not dry skin, and he's right- since I started using the new shampoo I can see the difference.

She's on her way to getting better! What a nightmare!
Terrific news!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,832,349 times
Beagles are all nose and all never ending hunger..they sniff- eat and poo like a machine-- Feed the dog more human food..lots of fat and tasty things- the animal fat will get rid of the bald spots and dry skin..bath them often...If you stick to some dog diet..they will not be healthy. Beagles are like little pigs because they suffer defects due to inbreeding...They are one of the most inbred of breeds..they need special care and lots of patients..They are shrewd as they are dumb.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Beagles are all nose and all never ending hunger..they sniff- eat and poo like a machine-- Feed the dog more human food..lots of fat and tasty things- the animal fat will get rid of the bald spots and dry skin..bath them often...If you stick to some dog diet..they will not be healthy. Beagles are like little pigs because they suffer defects due to inbreeding...They are one of the most inbred of breeds..they need special care and lots of patients..They are shrewd as they are dumb.
There are so many things wrong with this post, I don't even know where to begin. OK, I'll start with this:

1. "Feed the dog more human food." No. Don't do that. If the dog is on a premium dog food (preferably grain-free), there's no need for human food. As you said, beagles are food-motivated, so giving the dog human food once starts a bad precedent for begging all the time.

2. "If you stick to some dog diet, they will not be healthy." No. That's not true. There are MANY brands of dog food that give the dog ALL the nutrients they need.

3. "Bathe them often." No. Don't do that. There's no need to over-bathe a dog. It leads to more problems. And the OP said, in the last post, that the dog's skin is OILY, not dry.

4. "They are dumb." No. They're not dumb. They're stubborn and they follow their noses and they'll eat until there's no more food left, but they are certainly NOT dumb.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Oleg, I politely have to disagree with you

My doggie eats doggie food. The only "human" food she gets is carrots, strawberries, sweet potatos, bananas (she looooves bananas!) and mainly that happens when I drop them I'm a vegetarian, so she gets 'treats' of veggies and fruits! She's now on a grain-free diet and so far, so good... her fur is starting to look better, and is noticeably less dandruff-y now than when I started this thread.

And she is by no means dumb. The dog could run circles around some people I know! She's quite bright, albiet persistent and...nose-y. I do agree that beagles are full of nose and hunger, lol

My vet said to bathe her no more than once a week and since he's my vet... I'll choose to listen to him.

I should have posted before and after pictures! :\

Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
There are so many things wrong with this post, I don't even know where to begin. OK, I'll start with this:

1. "Feed the dog more human food." No. Don't do that. If the dog is on a premium dog food (preferably grain-free), there's no need for human food. As you said, beagles are food-motivated, so giving the dog human food once starts a bad precedent for begging all the time.

2. "If you stick to some dog diet, they will not be healthy." No. That's not true. There are MANY brands of dog food that give the dog ALL the nutrients they need.

3. "Bathe them often." No. Don't do that. There's no need to over-bathe a dog. It leads to more problems. And the OP said, in the last post, that the dog's skin is OILY, not dry.

4. "They are dumb." No. They're not dumb. They're stubborn and they follow their noses and they'll eat until there's no more food left, but they are certainly NOT dumb.
Thank you D - saved me from having to find a polite way to correct this misinformation

Old 04-25-2012, 11:45 AM

25 posts, read 41,014 times
Food is Food...period...whether it's given to humans or canines. Fast food is bad for people and most know how to feed properly. Know how to properly maintain safe standards when they feed "Real Food". So...IA with Oleg Bach in that regard. It's always ironic to me that people have the ability to feed their kid/s...but are supposedly, completely... ill equipped to feed their canine/s. That they can figure out balanced meals for their family, but nevah for the dog.

It's rather condescending and insulting and not even the least bit true...and if the dog eats good food all the time, the begging is kept to a minimum. But whatever, I think it's fine whatever you want to feed, but those who choose to give our pets optimum health by feeding meats, veggies, fruits...etc., shouldn't be chastised. Peace out...

Old 04-25-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia13 View Post
but those who choose to give our pets optimum health by feeding meats, veggies, fruits...etc., shouldn't be chastised. Peace out...
High quality dog food HAS all of those things... and vitamins... and probiotics... and all sorts of other good stuff. It's a complete diet.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
High quality dog food HAS all of those things... and vitamins... and probiotics... and all sorts of other good stuff. It's a complete diet.

Right. And not every food is designed for every dog. Not every dog can stomach every food!

Even though mine is beagle-jack russell you'd be surprised with how delicate her system is.

So far the new food is doing great, there's a noticeable difference in her coat and overall happiness... she also isn't begging for treats as often. I really should have taken before and after pics, between the meds and the food!

Thanks for all your help, guys You rock.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
Right. And not every food is designed for every dog. Not every dog can stomach every food!

Even though mine is beagle-jack russell you'd be surprised with how delicate her system is.

So far the new food is doing great, there's a noticeable difference in her coat and overall happiness... she also isn't begging for treats as often. I really should have taken before and after pics, between the meds and the food!

Thanks for all your help, guys You rock.
Oh! I wholeheartedly agree! Artie can't tolerate grains, lactose, or certain rich dog foods (like Orijen). Thankfully, he does perfectly well on Taste of the Wild (but NOT the fish flavor -- he doesn't tolerate fish either).

What are you feeding your girl now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs