Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:31 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,652,852 times

Advertisements

A woman took the brunt of a pit bull attack while trying to save her son. Affiliate KRON reports.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 AM

181 posts, read 1,077,358 times
130lbs? How it is confirmed that it was a pit bull?
Check this out before you start believing stories like this:
Case Studies - National Canine Research Council

This tragic situation could have been prevented. The city should have never gave this dog back after the first time it attacked someone. The owners should be charged, and the dog should be destroyed.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 AM

159 posts, read 355,941 times
Question A 130lb "Pit Bull"?

I agree with AZ91. It is more than likely either a Pit Bull mix or not a pit bull at all given the weight of the dog.

This is another good example of how the media loves to hype the whole Pit Bull hysteria. I also like that the dog was already deemed to be a dangerous animal and yet was still running loose in the neighborhood.

Next thing you know the city council will be calling for a ban on all Pit Bulls because they are too "dangerous" a breed.

This is exactly what I have been saying about how these cities and communities need to enforce their existing animal laws. If they did that they wouldn't need to jump on the BSL bandwagon.

I know BSL is a little off-topic for this story, but I couldn't help myself.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:59 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,424,673 times
You know, in theory it could be a 60lb pitbull, and through human hysteria / hype, she said it was a 130lb one due to either stress, or just the type of person to blow it out of proportion. Did the reporter mention how big it was or the girl ?

Old 09-06-2007, 12:48 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,178,822 times
First of all, I have to say, I'm glad that the baby didn't get hurt and I'm glad the mom is okay! Those morons shouldn't own a dog and that dog obviously needs to be put down! I really hope they find that dog before someone else gets hurt.. or worse!

Now, 130 pound "pit bull"?!?! Umm... NO! That dog might have been a "pit bull" mix at best, but most certainly NOT an APBT, an AmStaff or a Staffie! That dog is twice the size of the largest "pit bull"!

American Pit Bull Terrier- Height: 18-22 inches Weight: 22-70 pounds, with 35-55 being the average

American Staffordshire Terrier- Height: Male 17-19 inches Female 16-18 inches Weight: 57-67 pounds

Staffordshire Bull Terrier- Height: Male 14-16 inches Female 13-15 inches Weight: Male 25-38 pounds Female 23-35 pounds

These are all small-medium breed dogs. Some might get a little larger, but any breed can be a little larger or smaller than it's supposed to be. ANY "pit bull" that is over 85 pounds (or maybe 90 at the very most) is definitely either mixed with a larger breed or not a "pit bull" at all! I wish they would have shown a picture of the dog, because I can grantee you it's not a "pit bull". It's like that one news story where they were calling a Rotty a "pit bull". It seems like any dog that attacks someone is called a "pit bull" now?!

Our three APBTs are all average size for their breed. They are all between 38 and 48 pounds! Our 1 year 5 month old male, Brooklyn, is 48 pounds, our 10 month old female, Jayda, is 42 pounds and our 8 month old female, Destiny, is 38 pounds, and they are all very short. Brooklyn comes up to my knees and the girls are both about an inch shorter than Brooklyn.. I'm only 5'3" by the way. Our dogs are far from big! lol! I call them my munchins (not munchkins, munchins) because they are all so small and I call Brooklyn my little big head because he is so tiny, but he has that big "pit bull" head! lol!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 09-06-2007 at 12:58 PM..

Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,849,344 times
[quote=PitBullMommie1206;1439692]Now, 130 pound "pit bull"?!?! Umm... NO! That dog might have been a "pit bull" mix at best, but most certainly NOT an APBT, an AmStaff or a Staffie! That dog is twice the size of the largest "pit bull"!

American Pit Bull Terrier- Height: 18-22 inches Weight: 22-70 pounds, with 35-55 being the average

American Staffordshire Terrier- Height: Male 17-19 inches Female 16-18 inches Weight: 57-67 pounds

Staffordshire Bull Terrier- Height: Male 14-16 inches Female 13-15 inches Weight: Male 25-38 pounds Female 23-35 pounds

/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!I am glad that Mom and the Baby are ok. And that dog should be put down. But, 130 lbs pit bull? THAT's how "pit bulls" get bad reputation...It's a SHAME!!!

Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,468,629 times
I love pits , so don't get me wrong here but.... We have been researching breeders all over the country and it seems there are several that are breeding "Bullies" which are larger than average more bulldog looking pitbulls. I looked at a male online last night, he was the kennels top male for studding and he weighed in at 117 pounds !!! he was an absolute monster. Many won't breed these because it is too far off from what the breed stats should be. It very well could have been a "bullie". APBT, Amstaffs and Saffordshire terriers can all be breed through different bloodlines to be absolutely huge. Most of the sites I looked at had disclaimers stating that they in fact will not breed these dogs because they are not what the breeds were intended to be. Just my 2 copper

Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,424,673 times
pbm brought up American Bullies a while back. They are not pitbulls though and are instantly recogniseable.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:40 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,178,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I love pits , so don't get me wrong here but.... We have been researching breeders all over the country and it seems there are several that are breeding "Bullies" which are larger than average more bulldog looking pitbulls. I looked at a male online last night, he was the kennels top male for studding and he weighed in at 117 pounds !!! he was an absolute monster. Many won't breed these because it is too far off from what the breed stats should be. It very well could have been a "bullie". APBT, Amstaffs and Saffordshire terriers can all be breed through different bloodlines to be absolutely huge. Most of the sites I looked at had disclaimers stating that they in fact will not breed these dogs because they are not what the breeds were intended to be. Just my 2 copper
I know that a lot of people breed them to be huge. It's just like any breed, you can breed two that are bigger than the breed standard and you'll have a huge dog, or at least huge for that breed. It's so sad that people do stuff like that. Everything that I have ever read or heard on these breeds says that if the dog is over 110 it is most likely mixed with another breed, and there are 25+ breeds that are commonly mistaken as "pit bulls", so someone could easily take a huge "pit bull" (90 pounds or so) and cross it with a larger breed that looks a lot like a "pit bull" and pass it off as a monster pit. Even though people can breed them to be larger than the breed standard, isn't there some kind of limit? I mean, can you just keep making one breed larger and larger like that? It seems like they would only be able to get them so big before they would have to start crossing it with a larger breed to make it any bigger?? I don't know anything about breeding though, so I don't know? Are you sure you aren't talking about this.. American Bully Information and Pictures (there's pictures all the way at the bottom of the page) They don't have a set weight for this breed, so I'm sure they can be huge!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:59 PM

575 posts, read 3,696,542 times
I hope the injured woman sues the dog owner, albeit HOME OWNERS INSURANCE and they are canceled. I don't care if a chiwawah or great dane did it and put the damn dog down.

What ever breed did this (need a photo to ID it) was capable of inflicting serious injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs