Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times

Advertisements

My husky is almost 13 years old and about 3 weeks ago we took her to the vet because she has been gagging alot. He gave her some pills believing it may be acid reflux. We gave it to her for about a week and a half and then noticed that she was urinating uncontrollably when she layed down. A quick check on the web and it showed one of the meds could cause this so we stopped it. Well after 4 days without, the urination continues as does th econtinual thirst. The vet had me take in a urine sample and then called my wife and told her that he wanted to talk to us about what is happening to her. We are scared that he will tell us that her kindeys are failing or worse.
We had noticed the little pee patches on the carpet before but couldn't nail down which dog was doing it since we have 4. So this has been going on for about a month. Our home is starting to smell like urine even though we are putting towels underneath her as much as we can. At the last visit her liver count was about 400 and the vet told us that is way to high but not much he could do about it, she was on phenobarbital for 9 years.
She is a beautiful girl, pictures are in my profile, and is a wonderful companion.
Not sure if anyone here has been thru this or can help but I just wanted to get this off my chest and will update when we see the vet tomorrow afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
paws are tightly crossed for all of you.....

please let us know what her vet says......

Old 11-16-2011, 11:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Oh! She looks like such a snuggle-bunny! Sweetness...

I'll be thinking good thoughts for all of you.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM

Thankyou both.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:21 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
She is beautiful! It is not easy watching our beloved dogs get old and begin to have health issues. Will send positve thoughts your way in hopes that the news from the vet is not too bad.

ps the Huskies we see eveyday at the dog park would be envious that yours knows snow as none of them have ever seen it

Old 11-16-2011, 02:39 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,284 times
Exclamation Ask questions!!!

Your husky is beautiful. It is never easy as we begin to approach our beloved's sunset. Remember, this may only be the approach.

Sometimes, depending on the med it can take up to a week (perhaps more) to completely get out of your dogs system. Don't give up hope.

Remember, you are your dogs advocate. If you do not speak up for them, no one else will. We blindly trust our vets. Remember, it is called practicing medicine for a reason. Most vets do their very best for our animals...but you are still the best advocate for your animal.

See, your vet did not tell you that one side effect, you had to get on the web to search it out. IMHO, the vet should tell us the pro's and con's to the medications they hand over and we can make an informed decision, whether we want to use that medication or ask for another. Especially, for our senior fur-friends...

...just saying...

Wishing you and yours the best at the vet!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,297 times
I'm a mom to a Siberian Husky who will turn the big 1-0 in December, so your post hit close to home. I hope that the test results show a resolvable/treatable issue.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
firstly youve given her a good long life...old age is hard but hold onto the fact that shes had an amazing life..

secondly as already mentiond, meds can take quite a while to get out of the system.

the exessive thirst however...my first thought always goes to diabetes, make sure her blood sugar gets checked.
high enzymes can come from diabetes and infections...the good news is both those can be assisted with medication.

try not to fret or give up hope and as Luv.a.bull said, you are your dogs biggest advocate, vets dont know everything so take what they say and do your own research...dont go overboard, but your vet should be willing to work with you, listen to you and you should feel very comfortable with your vet!

*hugs to you and your baby*

Old 11-16-2011, 09:59 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,431,378 times
Your dog is beautiful and she looks like a tough old gal. As a mom to two actual Siberians and one honorary Sibe, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and hoping you get some encouraging news.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 AM

Update: Went to the vet earlier today, had to go to work afterward so I couldn't post until now and had the vet take some xrays of Denali. Her liver is enlarged and you can see a definite large mass in it and that has us all worried and she has an unknown large calcified mass between her liver, gall bladder, and stomach. The vet doesn't know what the mass is nor why the liver is so enlarged. But it does explain why her liver count is so high now. The urine sample showed that there is no infection but the protein count was extremely high and this could be cause by several things but again he is unsure what is causing it to be so high and that has him worried for her. Our next step is to have a ultrasound and biopsy done on the liver and large mass to determine what is going on. We would have to go to Wilmington, about 1 hr and 45 minutes away, to get this done at a cost of about $600. He says we should get this down within a few weeks.
As for why she is urinating so much that is because she is drinking alot and her sphincter is unable to close when she lays down. he has medicine to help but we are gonna wait and see if she improves once the medicine is out of her. She was doing much better today in that area at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs