Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:43 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,432,676 times

Advertisements

Poor Denali. I hope the vet in Wilmington can come up with a treatment plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,070,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Update: Went to the vet earlier today, had to go to work afterward so I couldn't post until now and had the vet take some xrays of Denali. Her liver is enlarged and you can see a definite large mass in it and that has us all worried and she has an unknown large calcified mass between her liver, gall bladder, and stomach. The vet doesn't know what the mass is nor why the liver is so enlarged. But it does explain why her liver count is so high now. The urine sample showed that there is no infection but the protein count was extremely high and this could be cause by several things but again he is unsure what is causing it to be so high and that has him worried for her. Our next step is to have a ultrasound and biopsy done on the liver and large mass to determine what is going on. We would have to go to Wilmington, about 1 hr and 45 minutes away, to get this done at a cost of about $600. He says we should get this down within a few weeks.
As for why she is urinating so much that is because she is drinking alot and her sphincter is unable to close when she lays down. he has medicine to help but we are gonna wait and see if she improves once the medicine is out of her. She was doing much better today in that area at least.
Not what I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear "it's nothing" or "it's just a UTI." I'm sorry that you're going through this. Big hugs to all of you to see her through the trying times.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:47 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,637,163 times
Good news about the bladder issues!

Wow...I am hoping the other vet will have better news, treatment plans and options. At minimum, keeping Denali comfortable.

Here is where I would be asking all sorts of questions about options, drugs, side effects and how to keep Denali healthy through it all! Don't forget, there is always a second opinion!

NEVER LOSE HOPE!!! I know you will do what is best for your fur-friend...

Please let us know how it's going...we'll be thinking 'bout you all!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,601,245 times
When Jazz got older she too leaked when she layed down as is common in older spayed females, The vet put her on DES and it stopped.

I will continue to send positive thoughts about the liver issue. Early this year I learned Phoenix had severe kidney disease and she would not eat the special diet so my vet did not expect her to live very long well she is still with me and is doing great. Doesn't act like a dog with severe kidney disease and is perky for a 12 yr old the only bad thing are her lab values.( and her breath and being it is from the kidneys not much I can do about it). Just as I did when Dash and Jazz got old and developed cancer I look at each day with Phoenix as a special gift.

Keep in mind a dog ( or person) with kidney and or liver disease will take a longer time to clear drugs out of its system as they are eliminated via one of those two organs depending what drug it is.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,585,751 times
Her leaking seems to come and go. Yesterday was bad but today she has been dry. Will see how she is tomorrow, if she leaks again I will call the vet and get some meds to help her. Wife wants to get her to the Wilmington vet to get the ultrsound and find out what is exactly wrong. Will probably do that very soon. Will keep everyone updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs