Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 AM

5 posts, read 13,220 times

Advertisements

I have a six month old Siberian Husky who will go up to strangers sniffs their hand you know the regular dog sniff check them out routine, but as soon as they try to pet his head my Husky nips at them. No showing of teeth, growling hair standing up or signs of being aggressive.

Then after he knows the person nothing. He wont do that he runs up to greet them. Takes about an hour then he doesnt nip anymore.

The only time he has freaked out is when going to vet
he tries to struggle with vet and bite. He doesnt like being held and given shots at all. I wanna work on that too. He went to same vet since a little tiny pup.

I bring him to public places parks and stuff walks to be around people shows no aggression he just walks around park.

Why is he doing that? Alpha thing?
Just a puppy thing and needs just direction or needs something more like a Behaviorist?
Im at lost as too how to get him to stop that.

I have an older husky 12 and a hound 7mo old. Never experanced this with past dogs Ive owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:45 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times
Honestly, you really need to enroll in obedience training. It will be the best money you spent and it will really open your eyes! You have to commit yourself to doing the very best for your dog before it becomes a dangerous situation. Obedience school will work with you on how to curb behaviors, teach your dog manners and work with you on how to work with your dog on becoming comfortable with various touches on his body.

Remember dogs use their mouths as a form of correcting. He is inappropriately correcting people with his nipping. You do not want that nip to advance into a bite.

I'm pretty sure others will post the same advice. The longer you wait to get into obedience classes the longer it will take to correct bad behaviors. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times
Im w/ amazon! I think huskies are one of the trickiest breeds to train. They have clown like silly darling faces and are so sneaky and will test you!
Maybe a husky person on here knows more than me!

best of luck!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:20 AM

223 posts, read 1,003,578 times
Hello Geira, you and I both know and understand the Sibe breed. Does he do this when he gets rub downs along his side or back? My sibe doesn't like it when anybody touches his tail ... we have a young lab that will latch onto it during play and that has probably triggered that response. Is it possible the breeder (or someone who took care of the puppy) struck the puppy in the nose? That can cause a defensive aggressive attitude to strangers who approach your pup near the face. They will never forget the feeling of pain. It's good to hear that after some time with people, he doesn't nip. Have a good chew toy in hand and when you catch him nipping just give that to him. Don't reprimand him though, he is only doing what he feels is the right thing to do at this age and will get confused. He's a puppy and still needing to chew on things. Who knows, maybe he's just thinking 'Oh boy, does this person have a treat for me?' Once an owner always an owner, but I would have to say if you are a good owner, you don't need obedience training, just the knowledge of being able to train the dog ... and patience!

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:08 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times
I don't think rewarding the dog with a chew toy is good. It will only reinforce the nipping regardless of what type breed this dog is.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
giera,

All puppies are "mouthy"...

However... Until you get him trained, you really need to look into some type of muzzle. If something happens, even minor, it could be too late!

There are nylon ones for short term (no exercise) or there are light weight plastic ones and leather ones that they can exercise or go to the vet in.

it's just protection for you and your puppy... because you don't know how other people feel about dogs...sometimes,...

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-28-2008 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 08:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geira View Post
I have a six month old Siberian Husky who will go up to strangers sniffs their hand you know the regular dog sniff check them out routine, but as soon as they try to pet his head my Husky nips at them. No showing of teeth, growling hair standing up or signs of being aggressive.
1. Never let your dog go up to a stranger. Your dog should be taught to sit and wait for a stranger to come to him, not the other way around.

2. Enroll in obedience class.

3. Tell people NOT to pet your or any dog on the head, dogs don't like that at all!!

4. Enroll in obedience class.

5. When puppy nips, try to make a loud yelp, see if your pup reacts to it and stops. Walk away and pay no attention to your pup after the incident. Be consistent. Your dog will learn that nipping isn't going to get him anywhere!

6. Enroll in obedience class.

7. Is he still teething? Make sure he has enough toys to chew on, you can always have a small wet towel put in a freezer and then give it to your pup.

8. Enroll in obedience class!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:03 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
1. [color=Red][b]

3. Tell people NOT to pet your or any dog on the head, dogs don't like that at all!!
I don't get it why people do this. I don't like it when people pet my head.
I always say Pet my dog on his back and you will be his best friend.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
ShepsMom is so right! Never let a stranger approach your dog with an outstretched hand. Many dogs find someone looming over their head very threatening. Keep your dog at your side, in a sit, and tell people to stay away until the dog has a chance to gauge your reaction to them.

Get the dog to training, you'll both be grateful for it. Pups need structure and the training will help you provide it.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:38 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Your dog is six months old and teething! And she's just a puppy. You probably got her when she was about eight weeks old, and that's too young to have learned 'bite inhibition' from her mother and siblings. This is something that dogs DO pick up from their sibs, but they have to be with them long enough to learn it. Fortunately, you can teach this to her:

Have her with you in a completely puppy-safe place, where she can be left alone (outside the crate) and can't see or hear you. This is important.

Start playing with her. When she chomps down too hard, YELP, loudly, like another puppy, and, without a word, get up and LEAVE. Completely. Out of the room. Just for a minute.

She'll quickly learn that when she bites too hard (normal for a puppy!) she loses her most precious resource: you. It's important that she not be able to hear or see you during that minute that she's left alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs