Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:17 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,760,906 times

Advertisements

Why do dogs go ape over peanut butter. When I go to make a pb and j my brothers dog just stands slobbering like crazy just hoping and praying for a little taste, and there is a toy we put peanut butter in, and he will go after it until every last bit is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:21 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,577,715 times
I have a friend who has 2 retired racing greyhounds. He was told when he adopted them that good snacks for them are bananas and peanut butter. Said he doesn't give them peanut butter very often because he lives in a small house and peanut butter gives the dogs STRONG gas. lol

Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,407,327 times
Nothing is more fun than watching dogs eat peanut butter, it sticks to their roof of their mouth, and they just keep licking and licking. Just for entertainment, we used to give the dogs a spoonful of PB, and just laugh and laugh...they loved it of course! Sam even knew what "Peanut Butter" meant, he recognized the jar of Skippy and everything. Loved that PB Kong...

Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
It has a strong scent, which makes it highly motivating for a scent hound. My beagle mix's favorite game is for me to put PB in a kong or toy and hide it, and have him find it by scent.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:47 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,637,705 times
Default It tastes good???

I can't tell you the why part but I will say this...if there is a pill involved and I hide it in enough peanut butter they'll eat it and there's entertainment value, too.

However I had a dog that got wise to the entertainment part and would lick the fur on her front leg to get rid of "they are laughing at me" licking tongue bit. Smart girl! Only dog to every figure it out...so far. I was proud of her! The other dogs looked liked snakes licking away, she licked her fur, and then would watch them, too!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:48 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,760,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I have a friend who has 2 retired racing greyhounds. He was told when he adopted them that good snacks for them are bananas and peanut butter. Said he doesn't give them peanut butter very often because he lives in a small house and peanut butter gives the dogs STRONG gas. lol
nothing worse than dog farts

Old 11-03-2011, 02:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,080,604 times
Artie used to love it -- off a spoon, in his Kong, however I'd give it to him.

But, as with everything that he's gotten used to, now he's not interested in peanut butter at all. Finicky beast.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,884,469 times
peanut butter is highly scented and very tastey...

the biggest concern with peanut butter is most brands are INCREDIBLY high salt...look for organic low salt peanunt butter if your going to be giving it for more than just the occasional pill!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM

581 posts, read 1,189,227 times
I give my pooches some occasionally as a treat, IF they've been good bubbas. I'll give it to them when I'm ready to sit down with a drink because it's hilarious to sit and watch.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,637,705 times
Default Okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
nothing worse than dog farts
Not to high jack the thread...but I've got one (bully dog) when he um, farts...I swear (and normally, I don't) green gas shoots from his butt, eyes water, everyone gags, that boy can clear a room.

Do you remember the scene from Turner and Hooch when they are in the police station and Hooch "cuts one" they have to open a window and a door?

OMGoodness, it's bad and you can't make stuff like this up!!!

Here's the thing, he's on premium food, doesn't get a lot of treats and almost zero human food (peanut butter now and then NOT often) farts daily! Okay, going to start a thread from here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs