Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 08:50 PM

30 posts, read 68,307 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
For the last couple weeks, I have been researching and looking into getting a dog for my new place (condo.) I've been looking into condo-friendly dogs, and would like to get some suggestions. First some info about myself:

Place: Condo (no pet restrictions other than Pit)
Job: Typical 9-5 job; Home for lunch.
No kids. No other pets but betta fish.
Fairly active (run every other day)

I've been kinda leaning towards a retired greyhound, but I'm not sure about having such a big dog (despite their lifestyle.) I would like to get a dog that's fairly intelligent and healthy (even though I know these can be relative attributes lol.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 08:59 PM

574 posts, read 1,066,673 times
I have lived in condos, apartments, etc without yards with dogs most of my adult life. I found poodles and Shih Tzus are very intelligent dogs that don't need a lot of space to be happy. They are always sitting on my lap and sleep right next to me, which you may or may not like. Large dogs need room and a yard to be fair to them, IMO. My dogs don't shed either. I crated them as puppies to potty train them. Now they go in them every time I leave the house. They also live much longer than large dogs. I applaude your desire to save a greyhound, but since you are gone all day, this may leave them feeling unstable and nervous.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,225,191 times
What's your experience as a dog owner?

Can you handle shedding? Or do you want minimal shedding?

Are you wanting to take your dog running with you?

Are you willing to commit for life? I ask this because my dogs live a looooooooooooooong time. I had a peakapoo that lived for 22 years. My labrador is currently 16 years old.

Smaller dogs tend to live longer than larger dogs.

Mutts tend to be healthier than pure breeds.

Smart dogs tend to be more difficult. I learned this accidently. I always had "smart" breeds. Then I got a hound. Hounds are supposedly among the dumbest of breeds. Guess what? The easiest dog I've ever owned. Smart dogs know they don't have to listen to you. My hound is so eager to please!

My SIL has had two retired greyhounds. Both were very mellow dogs. Their size wasn't an issue. She was single and worked full time. Her dogs were always happy.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,077,682 times
As I started to read through your criteria my first thought was greyhound. I'm a big fan of shelter mutts, and do agree with Hopes that a smart dog will keep you on your toes, I have two herders and they are a handful. You might try going by the shelter and hanging out with the different dogs to see what traits appeal to you. A lab mix out of his teenage years might be a nice fit too. In a condo I would look for a dog that won't bark every time someone walks down the hall.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What's your experience as a dog owner?
My parents are divorced. My dad always had a dog (chihuahua) and cat. My mom had none. I've gone back and forth between them my entire life.

Can you handle shedding? Or do you want minimal shedding?
Sorry for not mentioning this. I would love a dog with minimal shedding. Short haired breeds havent given me any issues.

Are you wanting to take your dog running with you?
I would like to take the dog with me on my runs. They aren't long runs (at most 5K, usually at least 1 mile.)

Are you willing to commit for life? I ask this because my dogs live a looooooooooooooong time. I had a peakapoo that lived for 22 years. My labrador is currently 16 years old.
Yes.
Interesting comment about smart dogs. I never really would've thought about them being more stubborn and/or strong-willed.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
As I started to read through your criteria my first thought was greyhound. I'm a big fan of shelter mutts, and do agree with Hopes that a smart dog will keep you on your toes, I have two herders and they are a handful. You might try going by the shelter and hanging out with the different dogs to see what traits appeal to you. A lab mix out of his teenage years might be a nice fit too. In a condo I would look for a dog that won't bark every time someone walks down the hall.
Yea, I've visited a few shelters out there in the MD area, but I didn't want to make a decision base solely on "adorability." When I initially set off in search of a dog, I was focusing on Beagles and Jack Russells. I understand now, that these may not be a good choice for condos.

Whatever I decide on, it will be a shelter/foster dog.

On the topic of mutts, is it true about hybrid vigor? I've seen so many combinations of breeds, it makes it even harder to decide.

And one off-topic question, is anyone else turned off by altered dogs (docked tails and ears)? You see it all the time with certain breeds, but it just seems kinda cruel.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:01 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,106,963 times
Retired greyhounds are supposed to be wonderful companions. Not to mention there are several rescue groups, and so many of these poor things get put down. If you are in Florida or other racing states, you won't have trouble finding great greyhounds. They LOVE running, but are total couch potatoes when not running. In other words probably the perfect dog for you and condo living. If you can get home for a lunchtime visit, that makes it perfect. I think being a runner, the greyhound is much more perfectly suited to your lifestyle than the llasha, as they wouldn't be good runners, or really many other dogs you may hear about. Great danes are other couch potato dogs that love to run, then lay around. Most of the other breeds either aren't great for running, or wouldn't like spending lots of time in a condo alone, or may be long haired, or other problems. I think your first thought of the greyhound sounds best. let us know what you get.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:06 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,077,682 times
I love Dobies with big floppy ears, but doggie ears are kind of a downfall of mine, altering always seemed cruel to me too.

Shelters do pose the adorability problem, maybe hanging out at a dog park and talking to the owners about specific challenges would be useful. Jacks and Beagles can be fine as long as they get enough attention, training and exercise, a Boston might be good too.

I think vigor depends on the mutt mix, I have a lab/border collie who is almost 11 and still plays like a 3 year old, but she snores like an 80 year old man. If you had a bassett hound mix, maybe not as much energy.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,225,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunSenior04 View Post
I would like to take the dog with me on my runs. They aren't long runs (at most 5K, usually at least 1 mile.)
Since you want to run with your dog, the greyhound would probably be the best match overall. It's a mellow dog, doesn't bark much, doesn't shed much, and is a great runner. You don't want a small dog. My peekapoo needed carried halfway home from a simple walk.

Quote:
Interesting comment about smart dogs. I never really would've thought about them being more stubborn and/or strong-willed.
Sure! They can think for themselves!

Quote:
And one off-topic question, is anyone else turned off by altered dogs (docked tails and ears)? You see it all the time with certain breeds, but it just seems kinda cruel.
I don't understand the concept of altering dogs' tails and ears. I've never liked the look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
If you had a bassett hound mix, maybe not as much energy.
A basset hound would be good for a condo. They're very low energy. They're very calm, affectionate dogs too. But bassets don't do jogging. And being pack dogs, a sole basset won't be happy being alone for long periods of time. He'd need two bassets since he'll be gone all day.

OP, I think the greyhound is the answer for you! They're perfect for apartment/condo living since they're used to small spaces. They don't bark. They have short hair. Seems like the greyhound is everything you want in a dog. Read up on the breed though because it's unique.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:15 PM

323 posts, read 322,307 times
Bassett Hounds are great mid sized dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs