Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Well, depending on the square footage, two might be a lot--not b/c of an inadequate space for the dogs, but b/c you might feel a little overwhelmed with suddenly sharing your space with two large dogs.

However, it really is a myth that a large dog needs a large, indoor living space. As long as you have a good amount of green space around your condo on which you can take them for walks and play, it doesn't really matter how large your condo is.
I totally agree with this post. I'll add that it doesn't matter how large a yard either.

I have a lifelong history of owning dogs that live a long, long time. They didn't live that long because they got a lot of exercise or went for lots of walks. Quite the opposite. My dogs don't go outside much, just to do their business, sniff around, walk the perimeter to guard the yard by smelling new smells and leaving their own smells. Sometimes they lay in the grass and enjoy the sun for a bit, but that's not everyday. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It seems to me the dogs that get the most exercise have shorter lifespans. Maybe they're exposed to more diseases. Maybe it wears their bodies out. I don't know. All I know is that the lifestyle I provide for dogs seems to cause dogs to live a long, long time. IMO, the key to a healthy dog is to feed them a healthy diet, provide them with a stress free life living indoors, and give them lots of love and attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 AM

5,016 posts, read 10,708,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I totally agree with this post. I'll add that it doesn't matter how large a yard either.

I have a lifelong history of owning dogs that live a long, long time. They didn't live that long because they got a lot of exercise or went for lots of walks. Quite the opposite. My dogs don't go outside much, just to do their business, sniff around, walk the perimeter to guard the yard by smelling new smells and leaving their own smells. Sometimes they lay in the grass and enjoy the sun for a bit, but that's not everyday. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It seems to me the dogs that get the most exercise have shorter lifespans. Maybe they're exposed to more diseases. Maybe it wears their bodies out. I don't know. All I know is that the lifestyle I provide for dogs seems to cause dogs to live a long, long time. IMO, the key to a healthy dog is to feed them a healthy diet, provide them with a stress free life living indoors, and give them lots of love and attention.
Absolutely. Even though we have a lot of green space, my GSD doesn't seem to use a lot of it. The only thing we do need some space for is playing fetch, which is her fav, and going potty.

However, there are some breeds that do best with a lot of exercise and/or stimulating activities and, hence, really do need a lot of outdoor space; the Border Collie and Siberian Husky come to mind.

But in the case of a Greyhound, indoor living space is certainly not an issue, at least as far as the dog is concerned. When I was growing up, one of my teachers lived in a small, 1000sf house and she had 6 greyhounds (all racing rescues). She was quite the sight on her daily walks--she took them all out together

Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
I have lived in a condo for 20 years and have always had dogs. I work 3- 12 hr night shifts /week so have 4 days off and being I am around during the day I will say that the medium and larger dogs make better condo dogs as they do not seem to bark as much as the smaller breeds. When I hear barking it is usually a smaller yappy dog. I am always amazed at the number of larger dogs that do live here as I never hear them barking. There was a beagle for awhile and he made a racket when left alone and he often escaped and would come down to my condo as he wanted to hang out with my dogs so I was forever taking him back up the hill where he lived. I think he went on more walks with me and the dogs then he did with his own owner.

I have never had problems with my dogs living in a condo and never had a neighbor complain, most ask if I take them to work as they claim they never hear them. I have owned an english cocker spaniel, then came a cattle dogX border collie as a young puppy and until I had to put her to sleep at 14.5 and with her I got a border collieX springer spaniel. Those two were high energy dogs but with the proper exercise AND mental stimulation they were great and they were not at all unhappy about living in a condo.

Now there is Phoenix a border collie or possible aussie no one knows for sure who has been deaf since birth and Dazzle a silken windhound which like a greyhound is a sight hound but has longer hair and is a bit smaller and puppy Chaos who is a cattle dog mix.

The easiest has been Dazzle as he does not bark at ANY outside sounds or sights and he is a couch potatoe and being single coated does not shed much, he is just a very easy dog and a very elegant boy.

As for greyhounds and running , while most sight hunds are sprinters you can condition them to run longer distances and the fact they are not going to be running at top speed if jogging with you ( as that would leave you in the dust!) they will be able to run longer. Dazzle ony gets exhausted fast if he is moving at or near top speed say anywhere from 30 to 40 MPH.

I even have friends with a husky that live in a condo and that is one breed I thought would be almost impossible to have in a condo but it just depends on the individual dog and how it was raised.

I have to disagree with people that say you have to have yard for a high energy dog as to me having time to spend with the dog is much more important then having a yard .When the two high energy dogs and I visited people with yards they would just stand and wait by the door as they wanted me out there to intereact with them. Being alone in a yard did not make them happy at all. I have a fenced patio and a dog door that goes out to it so my dogs can go out to relieve themselves when I am at work and as I said for the past 20 yrs it has worked great for me.

I think if you are honest with yourself about how much time and energy you are willing to put into a dog you can then decided if a ceratin breed would fit your life style.Good luck!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,299,349 times
My next dog, if not a mutt from the shelter will either be a greyhound (sheltered also) or will hold out for a Teddy Roosevelt Terrier. My neighbor has one and he's a PIP and if so full of "funness" I just want to be around him all the time.

Some info on the T.R.T. breed:

Common Characteristics
Like the Rat Terrier, the Teddy Roosevelt Terrier of today is bred for versatility, including hunting instincts, soundness of health, great temperament, and good looks. They can and will rat out a barn in a matter of hours, with seemingly unlimited energy. They make excellent watch dogs. Teddies share a love for their families and become very attached, craving human interaction and affection. Always by their owner's side, they will become a constant shadow, following their master around throughout the daily routine.
Teddies are very smart and loyal, which makes them easy to train. They are energetic and playful, and their antics can make you laugh daily. However, when it’s time to settle down they are just as content to be in your lap.
Teddies can adapt to pretty much any lifestyle, whether you show in conformation rings, work in agility trials, or just want a great companion for your home or farm. Their small to medium size makes them suitable to apartment living as well. Today, the TRT ranks high as a household companion.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times
Greyhounds really are unique among larger dogs. I can totally see how someone could walk 6 greyhounds together and that would be insane with most medium or large breed dogs. They are so laid back they'd do well almost anywhere.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Greyhounds really are unique among larger dogs. I can totally see how someone could walk 6 greyhounds together and that would be insane with most medium or large breed dogs. They are so laid back they'd do well almost anywhere.

I find that Dazzle ( silken windhound) may be large in height and length but he is very thin and is also very cat like in some ways. He is a doggie pretzel and can climb in my lap and curl up into a very small area, then again he can climb into my bed and stretch out and almost reach from the head of the bed to the foot! Having him is not like having a large dog and if I had six of him yea walking would be a breeze as he just prances along side. He is very different then other dogs I have owned and he is 100% cuddle bug and being most sighthounds have a lot of the same traits I think a greyhound would be a lot like him only he has a beautiful longer coat so skin tears are not a worry when he plays with all his dog buddies! And his breed is also more bidable thus wants to please humans more then the other sighthounds. Friends that are not dog people seem to even be taken with him as with his elegance and that huge grin he wins people over all the time. I would have gotten a 2nd one but I really wanted a good agility dog to fill the void Jazz and Dash left thus got Chaos and have no regrets as Daz can do agility but he just can not stay focused long enough to ever be good at it, oh well he makes up in the cuddle factor. He is my love bug dog!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:38 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,172,197 times
I know someone with a deerhound....big tall dog, but really mellow and sweet.

Many years ago (I'm a painting contractor) I had a nursing home/assisted living home client. They always had two retired racer Greyhounds living in the home...even though they were relatively large dogs, they were very gentle and sweet and safe around older, sometimes frail people.

I agree you don't need a yard, necessarily. I have a very large fenced yard (almost 1/3 of an acre) but honestly, the dogs prefer to be inside, or wherever I am. When outside, they play a bit but mostly hover around the back door waiting to come back inside. Then again when I pick up leashes, put shoes on and do anything that indicates we're going for walkies or a drive to the park or beach, it's pretty much thundering pandemonium.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:04 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,414,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunSenior04 View Post
Thanks for the feedback all. Over the last couple days, I have been visiting a few shelters to get a feel of some breeds and size. I was actually surprised by some by the size of breeds that I had originally thought to be small (thanks to living with a chihuahua.) It's also kind of sad how they majority of shelter dogs are pits or pit mixes.

Lately, I've been on the fence regarding greyhounds. I need to visit some of the local (located in MD) greyhound adoption events to get a real feel for the dog. From my understanding, they are kind of a large breed dog (despite their elegant shape.) I'm a little unsure about keeping a 70-80lb dog in a condo, and don't really know about keeping two of them.

Off to do more research...
Another breed you might want to take a look at is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Wonderfully loyal, great energy and very very intelligent. Here is the website for a Chessie Rescue org. As you can see, lots of Chessies in your area (they move dogs around the east coast a lot!). And........it is the State Dog of Maryland!

www.cbrrescue.org

Last edited by Va-Cat; 09-26-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 05:20 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,466,117 times
I think you'll know what you're looking for as soon as you see it. Every time I go to the pound there is always THAT ONE that has the eyes, the look, or something about him/her that you just say to yourself "Well, that's it... I was looking for something else but this dog just stole my heart and now it's mine." Trust me... You'll know it when you see it... That's the best advice I can give.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:28 PM

30 posts, read 68,253 times
Wow. Thanks to all for the advice. All of your comments have really given me something to think about.

I just looked up some of the greyhound rescues in the area and hope to check out some of the events this weekend. I will definitely need to reconsider some other large dog options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs