Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 AM

207 posts, read 535,687 times

Advertisements

I have a 9 year old boston terrier named Parker. She is a fear bitier.and she has seizures every once and a while. She got kicked out of the dog shows because she bit the judge while he was trying to check her teeth. And bit alot of other people and dogs.
She is a picky eater. She loves chicken mixed in with her dog food. Sometimes when i don't have time to put it in there she just gives me a look and stares at me for a while and walks off. But then when she comes back in from outside she always excepts a treat but only when she eats her food. If doesn't she will eventually eat her food and then gives me that look that she wants to go outside to get a treat.
When I let her out in the gated yard she listens to me to come back in. But whenever i let her out the front she always wonders off in the fields with the cows and just goes and explores and completely ignores me like i don't exist.
How can i teach her to listen to me when i let her outside with out any fences. To be honest I don't walk because it's annoying. Everytime when i walk her once in a while and she's going to far i kind of jerk the collar not like it's hurting but enough to let her know to obey me and everytime i do that she just stares at me like "How dare you, tell me what to do and where to walk?"
And sometimes when my mom puts her in my room she runs straight to her favorite toy in the world is her ducky and then she wants me to pet her. She loves massages and she hates i once i stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,986 times
I think your dog is master and you are the pet. Take ownership of the dog. At 9 yrs of age an old dog can be taught new tricks. When you are home take a leash attach it to the dog and then to a belt at you waist. Ignore the dog and go about your normal routine. if you sit make her lie down. When she does good praise her. this type of training normally works well with puppies but I have been successful with older dogs.

Also read up on the breed. find out what makes boston terriers tick. Most likely she is bored, not used to being handled and well bored.

If you take her on a walk... she wonders off.... don't jerk leash, just walk in a different direction. Better yet she looks like she is going to wonder off walk in new direction BEFORE she wonders off. DON'T ever let her lead (be in front of you) during walks. To the side or behind you but never in front. If she is in front then she is in command and you are not. she will look like she is annoyed but don't put human emotions onto a dog.... they don't have emotion like humans do. What you think is annoyance could be more of a ... "what do you want me to do?" look. In other words, she will come up with an action or plan if you don't. If you don't lead, she will follow her own lead.

seriously best over all advice I can give is read up on the breed and read up on training tips.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
It would be so fun for you to take your dog to obedience class. Most of the local pet stores conduct the classes at a reasonable rate. You and your dog would learn things together and she would respect you much more. Ask your parents if you can do that.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
I think your dog is master and you are the pet. Take ownership of the dog. At 9 yrs of age an old dog can be taught new tricks. When you are home take a leash attach it to the dog and then to a belt at you waist. Ignore the dog and go about your normal routine. if you sit make her lie down. When she does good praise her. this type of training normally works well with puppies but I have been successful with older dogs.

Also read up on the breed. find out what makes boston terriers tick. Most likely she is bored, not used to being handled and well bored.

If you take her on a walk... she wonders off.... don't jerk leash, just walk in a different direction. Better yet she looks like she is going to wonder off walk in new direction BEFORE she wonders off. DON'T ever let her lead (be in front of you) during walks. To the side or behind you but never in front. If she is in front then she is in command and you are not. she will look like she is annoyed but don't put human emotions onto a dog.... they don't have emotion like humans do. What you think is annoyance could be more of a ... "what do you want me to do?" look. In other words, she will come up with an action or plan if you don't. If you don't lead, she will follow her own lead.

seriously best over all advice I can give is read up on the breed and read up on training tips.
I asked my mom if I can take Parker to obience and she no because she doesn't want to be sued if parker bites somebody.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
I asked my mom if I can take Parker to obience and she no because she doesn't want to be sued if parker bites somebody.
how odd. Well I would then ask if you can buy a few educational books or at least go to the library and get some.

The best life lesson I can give you for your entire life, not just about Parker, is EDUCATION. Not just of the school variety but of anything and everything important to you. Read about, take classes, gain experience... knowing and learning are a key element into life.

same thing for for Parker. He needs an education. Most trainers who run classes are aware that the dogs in the class might nip at each other and that is all part of the training for both you and Parker. Plus the trainer of the class can be told ahead of time that this might be problem. Trust me they would have a solution fast! Still it could be a money issue more then a worry about bites.

Socialization is key to a dogs life. But first you have to work with Parker on your own. There in lays the need of educating yourself. books my dear books. You don't have to get a dog training bible. pet stores have them, library or resale book places. Library would be the cheapest.

Another thing... do you take Parker regularly to the vets? those seizures could be an issue with Parker's behaviors. Next time Parker goes into the vets talk to the vet about the seizures and his aggression to people and that it really concerns you.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times
I'm not trying to be mean or judgmental, but it sounds like neither you or your mother is interested in dealing with Parker's "issues."

I have had Boston Terriers for 20+ years and they are "people" dogs...that's what they want most...to please you and be up close and personal to you. Wanting to play and have attention is totally natural...you can't blame her for that. And yes, dogs need exercise and you call walking her annoying...is this something new or has Parker always been this way and have you always felt this way about her...your mom included. Jerking a lead can cause permanent damage to a Boston...throat, larynx, spine, etc. Use a harness instead.

Does Parker have any health issues other than seizures? Do you think she doesn't hear you because she's being bad? Or could she be losing her hearing. She is a senior, you know and that brings on a lot of other things. The senior years for any dog breed requires special handling and understanding. This is not a time to be cross with her. Parker deserves this patience and understanding from you and your mom.

If you can't give that to her, consider turning her over to a Boston Terrier Rescue. There are many adoptive families out there who love the seniors and will give Parker the forever home she deserves. I don't know where you're located, but if you care to pm me, I'll be happy to help you.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 PM

My mother is a breeder of boston terriers. In my opnion I believe Parker she is unhappy. I don't totally jerk of leash. I think my mom at time was stressing about something at the time when she said it. Because out first boston terrier Fritz he was trained and he obeys every word we say and he's like 11 years old, grumpy sometimes but old. Parker and him are best buds and sometimes they sleep beside eachother in bed. I don't believe Parker has hearing problems she just likes to play dumb.
For example a couple years a ago when she use to get along with the other bostons they wouldn't let her have a toy.. so what did was she was at the door and looking at my mom and I and so we decided to let all the dogs go outside. Right when we let the dogs out she decided to stay back and ran back into the room and took the toy and ran under neath the table.
Also when i started a new job and i started working nightshift my mom told me that she would put Parker in her bed so Parker wouldn;t have to sleep alone, Parker wouldn't get in the bed she would be sitting at the door waiting for me to get home and she would sleep near the door all night.
Then one morning while my dad was waiting for me to come home. He opened my bedroom door and was calling Parker and she wouldn't respond and so he decided to say "Parker sissy is home" and she jumped up and went to the window lookin for me and there I was getting out of the car and she raced downstairs to the door and was parking to get out.
Another thing when she is done using the bathroom outside she barks at the door and always expects a treat.
And if my other dog Fritz who is also a boston when he gives me kisses she gets jealous and runs and gets her duck and comes between us.

Does Parker really love me?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
gotta agree w/ zsp to use a harness w/ her, bt's and other small breeds often have delicate tracheas which can easily be damaged by jerking a collar. also, some do have hearing problems, offhand her hearing is prob fine but she's at an age where it may be diminishing, in any case id get it checked out. and yes, im sure she loves you but just has an independent streak ;@)

Old 07-29-2011, 03:51 PM

PinkAquarius, if you mom is a breeder then I can understand. It is possible you caught he at the wrong time.

I still have a sneaky suspicion that Parkers seizures has something to do with his actions. Is he on Seizures meds?

also the change in his normal routine is upsetting. does he love you... you can say that to some extent. What it is, is that you are his family his pack member and dogs miss their pack members when they gone missing. You leave to work... you are missing from the pack. You come home.. all is well. Your schedule changed... well that becomes fearsome to him. simple enough. Will take him time to get used to the new order of scheduling.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
PinkAquarius, if you mom is a breeder then I can understand. It is possible you caught he at the wrong time.

I still have a sneaky suspicion that Parkers seizures has something to do with his actions. Is he on Seizures meds?

also the change in his normal routine is upsetting. does he love you... you can say that to some extent. What it is, is that you are his family his pack member and dogs miss their pack members when they gone missing. You leave to work... you are missing from the pack. You come home.. all is well. Your schedule changed... well that becomes fearsome to him. simple enough. Will take him time to get used to the new order of scheduling.
Well it's she. She has gotten use to be being at work. She has seizures every once a while. She has had surgery before because she had a big cist, and she is nutered. But ever since she was a puppy she was nipping and very independant. Always likes to do her own thing.And sometimes when she comes back to the house later for not listening i still give her a treat. I love my dog so much but i don't know whats best for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs