Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times

Advertisements

So I've seen my next door neighbors from a distance several times with what looked to be a puppy version that looked like ShelbyGirl's Jai. Today, I got a chance to meet them and the dog is a Boston Terrier! The dog is "blue" as the guy called it. I asked him where he got it, and he said a breeder in Missouri. They ordered him off the internet and he was shipped. Can you say puppy mill? I've never seen one before, so I looked them up. They're all over the web, for sale from many breeders mostly in the Midwest. I see ranges from $1200-over $2k, plus shipping costs. I know Frenchies now come in blue as well. If you google blue Boston Terrier, you'll see pictures, though there don't seem to be too many yet. Maybe it's a new fad? I can't post someone else's pictures here otherwise I would! Has anyone seen one of these dogs in the neighborhood yet? We have a ton of designer dogs and dogs in general and this was a first for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
That's it! Jai is a designer dog! Must tell Chris!!!!!!!!!
But Jai is considered "blue". No picture I have does her color justice...really a gorgeous grayish blue-ish hue to her coat.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 PM

She's gorgeous! I love that color. On Jai and Weimaraners! It looks quite odd on a BT.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 PM

68 posts, read 273,517 times
I do beleive 'blue' is a new trend unfortunately. There are breeds that carry a dilution gene(greyhounds for ex) and blue is the dilution of black. I don't know if Bostons carry the dilution gene. If they don't it means another breed was mixed somewhere along the line to get the blue. I beleive dilution genes are recessive so both parents would have to have it.

Last edited by baby1nov; 08-16-2010 at 10:17 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1nov View Post
I do beleive 'blue' is a new trend unfortunately. There are breeds that carry a dilution gene(greyhounds for ex) and blue is the dilution of black. I don't know if Bostons carry the dilution gene. If they don't it means another breed was mixed somewhere along the line to get the blue. I beleive dilution genes are recessive so both parents would have to have it.
And to double up on recessives you have to do considerable inbreeding. There is no problem with random blues popping up but when they are intentionally bred for............you often wind up with the other bad stuff carried on recessive genes.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:32 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
Haven't seen them personally but have seen pictures of them, I don't believe they meet the boston terr. standard (for AKC reg.) and w/b wary because of the inbreeding, same w/ the 'reddish' colors out there.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:59 AM

One thing's for sure, that coat color is really cute! I'm seeing it more and more on many breeds. I met a woman with a white Frenchie who said her breeder also breeds blue Frenchies and they go for $8k. The breeder is in my area and I looked up her website and sure enough, the blue ones are that expensive, and she calls them rare. Many byb English Bulldog breeders in SoCal are breeding black Bulldogs now, which infuriates the local rescues since they end up with them later on. It's just a matter of time before they decide to make 'em blue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs