Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 03:23 PM

621 posts, read 3,205,348 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone who has a husky or a dog that has a similar coat has taken their dog to the groomer and what was the result? Did it even make a dent in the shedding? I have 3 and am constantly surrounded by hair, no matter how much I vacuum. I have a furminator, but can only do it so much as it irritates the skin, and the other one has a longer coat so it doesn't work well on him. I was hoping they would use the high velocity dryer, although one of mine is scared of the vacuum, so I'm not sure if he would be traumatized during and after the experience? Would love to hear any experiences! Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 04:58 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
I have a cocker spaniel who is groomed once a month thankfully sheds little..To get to the point,
I would call a few groomers and see if they have experience with dogs who shed a lot..One step further what they charge to do this..I know from experience a good groomer is worth a lot to you and the dogs.
Good luck

Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
A good groomer is the key. I once had my big shaggy "I'm scared of everything" dog shaved because we were moving from the mountains of Colorado to Houston in the summer. The groomer took almost 5 hours with her because she would stop and pet her and give her treats to make her feel better, it cost a small fortune but Sophie came out of it just fine and much cooler.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:36 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
I wonder if a shedding blade would work for your husky, google them to check them out (including pictures), I have shorthaired dogs and get a ton of fur off them when I use it. Would use it outside and you'll see the fur fly!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:21 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
My brother has taken his (Sibes) to a groomer with good results, but the groomer he uses knows what he's doing with Sibes (and dogs with double coats). Not all groomers do. If you're going to take your Sibes to a groomer, do try to find one who specializes in the breed. (It goes beyond just asking if the groomer has experience with dogs that shed a lot. You need to find out if they have experience SPECIFICALLY with northern/arctic breed dogs.)

DO NOT shave your Sibe!! Never, never, never. And if your groomer suggests it, then run the other direction. Sibes require no CUTTING of the coat, except for the toe-tufts (foot furs) that grow between their paw pads. They only require washing and brushing.

I won't take my Sibe to a groomer, but there are two reasons for this: 1) I don't trust a groomer to do a good job; and 2) Bandit doesn't particularly like to be brushed, and I don't want to subject him to hours of forced grooming.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Welp you have three northern-breed dogs in a southern/warm climate, so of course they are going to shed a lot, that is pretty much a no-brainer.

Can't you bathe them? I have short-haired/double-coated dogs in a northern climate, but have always done a major bath at shedding season in spring. Either myself in the tub (use a strainer dealie in the tub!) or at a good groomer...usually the only bath they get a year but it's pretty awesome as far as cutting down the springtime fur volume. Shedding blades and furminators do a great job, bit a little bit at a time...a good bathing followed by blow drying or brushing out gets rid of alll or most of the dead hair at once.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Sorry if it was interpreted that I was suggesting you shave your dogs, I would in now way ever suggest that. I was simply suggesting that you find a good, patient and trustworthy groomer should you decide to have them groomed.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 44,391 times
A groomer can help remove much of the shedding undercoat from a double coated dog. Blow drying also helps. A good groomer is definitely key though.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
im with dogmamma on this, i see so many people asking about shaving their northern breeds to make them mroe comfortable in the heat...NO, the answer is always no, the coat actually acts as a cooling system in the summer actng as insulation...shaving a dog thats bred to have that heavy coat can actually hurt rather than help...

that being said a GOOD groomer would take the time to first pluck the undercoat, as much as possible, followed y a good combing with a shedding rake, followed by a blow out followed by a bath followed by another blow out...
which will cost a small fortne but should help control the shedding for 2-4 weeks

the undercoat gorws in very quickly...so youd have to repeat the process every 4 weeks or so...

Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 PM

29 posts, read 138,880 times
I love this video of a husky at the groomer...

YouTube - ‪MISHKA'S SPA DAY!‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs