Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 PM

621 posts, read 3,207,570 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the replies.

Yes I did know to never shave them. I just wanted something to help cut down on the fur somewhat. My husband and I have learned to live with the hair, as we love them and it's worth it, but it just seems like it's never ending, although it's more now since they are blowing their coats.

I wouldn't want to put them through anything that is going to cause undue stress. One in particular hates to be brushed, so I know a day at the groomer he would loathe. I can only brush him in short spurts. Where we live now really doesn't have a great selection of groomers, so I doubt I would be able to find one who specializes in sibes, which is what I would want like Nifty said. So I will probably just keep brushing them in the backyard and vacuuming daily.

And yes I live in the "south" with 3 artic dogs so of course they're going to shed, but we just moved here from the "north" a little over a month ago and they shed like crazy there too. They just shed....a lot lol. As we got our 2nd and 3rd we even said "what's a little more hair"....Ahh but they have that sweet, goofy face to make up for it

Thanks again for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 10:04 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,123,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
They just shed....a lot lol. As we got our 2nd and 3rd we even said "what's a little more hair"....Ahh but they have that sweet, goofy face to make up for it ;
Your last sentence made me laugh...you're dealing with hair and their sweet goofy faces make up for it...I have two Bostons and a Frenchie...it's a good thing they're cute too because we suffer their noxious SBD...ahem...farts!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:17 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,318,815 times
National Dog Groomers Association for Professoinal Pet Groomers

The National Dog Groomers Association has a search function that might help you find someone who specializes in Sibes. Since you're living in NC, these probably aren't going to be too thick on the ground, but it's worth a look. Maybe you'll find a transplanted groomer who recently migrated from colder climes. I tried to do the search, but what was returned was a page full of programming script. Oy! Couldn't decipher it at all.

I'd be happy to give you the name of the groomer my brother uses for his Sibes, but that place is located in Mooresville, NC, which is located north of Charlotte and is about a 5-hour drive from you!! I'm assuming you won't want to drive that far, but if you do, let me know and I'll pass along the info. When my brother takes his dogs to this place, they come home with not a single stray hair.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:02 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,574,770 times
We had our Husky groomed this year after her fur started matting and was just looking horrible. The groomer did a fantastic job with her even trimming her paws. Our husky hates to be brushed and trimming is even worse so I was surprised she was able to do such a great job.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:34 PM

Nifty-Thank you for the link. I'm going to do a search and see if I can come up with anything. And your right, I don't think I have any plans to drive out that way . But thanks for the info!

Trlhiker-I'm glad to hear yours does so well. Mine don't mind the brushing so much-if they're in the mood to let you do it. I see you're in eastern NC is your groomer anywhere near me?

I took them out into the backyard this evening and brushed just 2 of them, and it seemed that it had snowed in part of my yard . Then the wind was blowing and hair was everywhere. It seemed to get a lot of hair off, but anyone with a sibe knows, more hair is always there, no matter how much you brush them. My youngest who is almost 7 months is still getting his adult coat so he hasn't really started shedding yet. I can only imagine what it will be like when he starts. And the in-laws are visiting in a month, I hope they are prepared for hair lol. They're in the mindset that dogs should be kept outside and still can't believe that we keep them in the house. But that's a whole other thread .

Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Just took the dogs to the beach today then the self wash dog wash,Dazzle and Chaos piece of cake but Phoenix with her very full collie type coat..well it was Hair Hair everywhere!!.The high power blower does get a lot of hair out of the double coated dogs. I use to always bathe Jazz and blow her out when she started to blow her coat and it helped alot as she too had such a thick double coat, I would go during hours when they were not busy as the hair would fly all over everything and everyone and people with short coated dogs do not seem to see the humor in hair falling like snow during a blizzard

Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,065,257 times
When the wind picks up after a brushing we have furnados.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
When the wind picks up after a brushing we have furnados.
LOL, that's exactly what I had in my yard!

and thanks for the tips dashdog! and yes a lot of people don't understand the fur blizzards, like we can control it

Old 06-22-2011, 04:34 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,318,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
The high power blower does get a lot of hair out of the double coated dogs. I would go during hours when they were not busy as the hair would fly all over everything and everyone and people with short coated dogs do not seem to see the humor in hair falling like snow during a blizzard
I take Bandit to a wash-your-own-dog sort of place, but I won't use the blowers on him for precisely that reason. I can't control where the hair goes...but boy, does it go!! I figure that not everyone else in there -- I don't think this place has non-busy hours -- wants to be covered in husky-fur. So we skip the blowers.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 AM

40 posts, read 133,445 times
mine lived inside and I kept them shaved during the warmer months. They were always groomed with cool, new blades and never had issues regrowing their coats. Shaved coats are VERY easy to furminate compared to full-length coats. And my pool loved their shaved coats, too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs