Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

On June 8th I let our 2 year old Basset out for her morning duties. I had a meeting so I went and got on the conference call. Thirty minutes later I went outside to holler for her, and she didn't come home.

My neighbor saw a car drive by with a young girl in it. I drove around, looked for her, repeatedly called the pound and animal refuge near me, no sign of her.

It appears as though our beautiful dog is gone. She was so sweet, she'd love on anyone.

I just hope she is being taken care of. I just hope she's ok. I wish I could see her again but I'm having to face reality that my puppy probably isn't coming back home.

I miss her desperately, and I'm not sure how long its going to take before I can begin to get over losing her. She was a very special dog. I'll take solace in my children and keeping busy, but I will always miss my dog.

I just don't know how people can steal someones pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Does your dog know not to leave your yard? The person who picked up your dog may have thought it was lost. Was there a collar?

I would check the neighborhood and newspaper for "Found Dog" signs and contact the animal shelter in a few days. Don't let the dog walk around alone outside unless you have a fenced yard! I walk my dog every day and sometimes I have random dogs following us a few houses behind us.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Was she microchipped? Wearing a collar w/ current ID tags? WOuld contact Basset Hound Rescue in your area (google them), they may get her in eventually. Post flyers where she went missing and send to all area vets. Run ads in local papers, some will run them for free. Most important, offer a reward, $$ motivates. Unfortunately, you learned the hard way many ppl can't be trusted and it's not safe to let a dog outside loose, not only can the best trained dog take off after a squirrel etc but there are unscruptulous ppl who think nothing of stealing dogs for their own purposes. If you havent yet, please contact the police and make out a report so everything is on record. Also, would GO to local shelters and even not-so-local shelters, it's possible a staff person at the shelter can confuse her w/ a beagle or basset mix etc, if she was indeed stolen, she may have gotten away from them or they may have gotten tired of her and dumped her somewhere. The more you do to spread the word, the better the chance that you'll get her back or get some leads. And make sure you offer a reward, it helps. Post on Craigslist in your area and other nearby areas as she c/b anywhere and CL is free (lost/found and pet sections). Good luck, hope some of this helps.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Yes, she had a collar with her id tags, and was in my yard for most of the day.

I live on a dead end road, and all my neighbors know Dale, we allow the dogs to roam from yard to yard, we all have some.

Its been over a week now. I've had adds and been reading the paper daily. Most folks bring strays to the rescue shelter down the road. She hasn't been there, we volunteer and they are looking for her. I also have the local vet keeping an eye out for someone who might bring her in.

But we've had a rash of dog thefts lately, come to find out. I discovered that when I went to the vets office. A blue pit bull went missing out this way a week before she did, and a few other dogs around town have been stolen lately.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Immedetely draw up a flyer with the pictures of all the missing dogs. List any information about suspected vehicles. Put the number to local law enfocement on it for people to call if they see anything suspicious. You may want to speak to whatever agency handles crimes against animals or thrfts like this and get them to place a area alert to law enfocement about whats happening. Sometimes they may even assign a special number to call or assign a person to followup.
Get those flyers out to all vets, pet shops, posted on community bulletin boards, handed out at dog parks, left at peoples houses who have dogs, and forward to the local media. Speak to every dog owner you know about it and get them to help spread the word.

You may never solve the thefts, but you may prevent another dog from falling victim. I;m sure had you been aware of the prior thefts, you woulds have been a bit more on guard. Do what you can to get the warning out to everyone so they are aware and can take the steps I;m sure you would have taken had someone sounded the warning before you and your dog became victims.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:35 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
1: file a formal report with the police
2: contact the local media
3: stop allowing your dogs to roam about, even on a dead end streat its asking for trouble
4: contact ALL local vets, send them pictures of yours (and have other owners do the same) pets...(if theyve been picked up by well meaning people, having the vets aware that the next basset that comes in might be your missing dog is more likley to yeild some kind of results)

however its very likely with stolen dogs (especially 1 being taken was a pitty) that this is likely the work of dog fighters, they will take any dogs, for fighting and bait dogs.

dont just "let this go" make sure to file formal reports with the police and animal control and get the local and if possible further afeild media involed, especially if this is a local dog fighting ring.

this is one of the many reasons the ONLY dogs i would ever allow to be outside alone are the kind of dogs strangers arnt getting even remotly close to without elephant tranquilizers.
im so sorry you and your family have to go through this.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
You've gotten some great suggestions which I hope you follow through with. I agree w/ the poster to post on Craigslist in the "pet" and "lost & found" section. Also post in other areas of the panhandle. This is so sad, and I hope you get her back. Keep fighting and don't give up on her.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
I don't undersand, I just checked both Pensacola and Panama City Craigslist, both pet section and lost & found. You live right in the middle of these areas, yet you've not posted about your dog??? Why?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sorry this happened to you. My Mom's Shih-tzu was stolen out of her fenced in yard in Vegas. She posted pictures, and offered a reward. No one called. Her dog had on tags, and was in a secure backyard.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
1: file a formal report with the police
2: contact the local media
3: stop allowing your dogs to roam about, even on a dead end streat its asking for trouble
4: contact ALL local vets, send them pictures of yours (and have other owners do the same) pets...(if theyve been picked up by well meaning people, having the vets aware that the next basset that comes in might be your missing dog is more likley to yeild some kind of results)

however its very likely with stolen dogs (especially 1 being taken was a pitty) that this is likely the work of dog fighters, they will take any dogs, for fighting and bait dogs.

dont just "let this go" make sure to file formal reports with the police and animal control and get the local and if possible further afeild media involed, especially if this is a local dog fighting ring.

this is one of the many reasons the ONLY dogs i would ever allow to be outside alone are the kind of dogs strangers arnt getting even remotly close to without elephant tranquilizers.
im so sorry you and your family have to go through this.
Great advice.

I'll add: contact the micro-chip monitoring company and report the dog stolen to them as well.

Very sorry for your loss. Hope you have a happy ending and find your pup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs