Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 44,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Tell them to go to the therapist and have the dog designated an "emotional needs" service animal.

Emotional Support Animals | Service Dog Central
That is pretty unethical. There are many people who really do need their ESAs. To claim you have one to get around housing is skeazy.

That said ESAs are an American construct not recognized in many other countries. Australia seems to see three levels of service animal, and ESA isn't one. Unethical or not this wouldn't help the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Tell them to go to the therapist and have the dog designated an "emotional needs" service animal.

Emotional Support Animals | Service Dog Central
I Totaly Agree!! Just have the wife or hubbies dr write a not on a rx pad!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 10,687 times
Wait what.. you guys are seriously suggesting lying about your dog to keep it. You do realize when people do this you are hurting people who NEED dogs for emotional support?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 PM

398 posts, read 984,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcoatthesis View Post
Wait what.. you guys are seriously suggesting lying about your dog to keep it. You do realize when people do this you are hurting people who NEED dogs for emotional support?
HUH?! How in the world is anyone hurt? Stop being so melodramatic!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,488 times
I wonder if the woman who is objecting to the dog is posting somewhere that people, not smart enough to read the fine print while buying a new home, are trying to bribe her with cake to allow them to keep their anklebiter?

They should've read the fine print. I get so tired of people claiming that THEIR pet doesn't bark, doesn't bite, doesn't poop or pee outside without it being IMMEDIATELY cleaned up, doesn't put off allergens, no one knows it exists, etc.

People who think that the rules do not apply to them, simply because they were too dumb to take the time to read pages upon pages of documents they signed and swore they read, are horrible people. As are those who try to defend them and their disgusting behavior.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 PM

409 posts, read 872,891 times
Wow I'm glad I don't live next to you guys.

Put the 100% of the blame for this situation on the dog owners, not the neighbor. She is well within her rights to not approve the dog. Having given her No vote, she should be able to go on with her life without being harassed or badgered.

The problem is not everyone is a responsible dog owner and they don't seem to understand they are not being responsible. When I used to live in an apt, there was this one woman who refused to follow the leash laws. Sometimes that dog would come up to me and start growling. She would call him back and be apologetic, but a couple of days later he is once again running around without a leash. Maybe the neighbor finds it easlier to just say no instead of saying yes and hope the dog owners follow thur with their promises.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamedicPrincess View Post
That is pretty unethical. There are many people who really do need their ESAs. To claim you have one to get around housing is skeazy.

That said ESAs are an American construct not recognized in many other countries. Australia seems to see three levels of service animal, and ESA isn't one. Unethical or not this wouldn't help the OP.
I think many are assuming the place is in the USA so they are speaking about the USA not AUS.

However, AUS does not recognize companion or emotional support animals so coments about faking this is pure stupidity. As for the USA, it's also pure stupidity because US law does not recognize companion or emotional support animals as Service Animals. This March the law changed and based on all the responses duringt he comment period, it was clear that abuse of the system by FAKING emotional support and companion animals was the main reason the DOJ removed any protections for those animals.

I also find it disgraceful that a person will suggest FAKING a companion or emotional support animal to get their little fifi to live with them in violation of HOA, POA or COC rules. Threse are probeblyt he same people who borrow their neghbor handicap parking tag so they can save 10 steps when they go to the salon to get their hair and nails done. Dissgracefull or disgusting!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,137 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone actually NEEDS a dog for emotional support, the whole idea of that is silly. I liken these pets to medical marijuana, mostly, it's a way for Dr.s to make a few bucks writing referrals and a way for pet owners to get around restrictions.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:06 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,372,684 times
Simply put the OP needs to alert their friend/relative to obtain legal counsel.
As I'm unsure of the rules in Australia but this is the first step.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:39 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Tell the old lady that if they have to give up the dog.....they are going to replace it with a screaming, crying, whaling baby.
This is a start. I'd be talking to this lady constantly, letting her know about all the legal but annoying things I would subject her to if she insists on rejecting the dog. Subtle blackmail. This can be done if you are clever.

You may have to board the dog with a friend until you make your point (and she becomes miserable). I wouldn't say this if it were a loud or dangerous dog, or if she had bad allergies, but I didn't hear any of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs