Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:00 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick View Post
Nice pup but you NEED the prong, dogs respect the prong collar.It's pack leader (you) making the subordinate dog (them) comply. You must be the boss. Just like the mother wolf dog harshly corrects he pup with neck bites, you have to simulate that with a promg collar.

I think it's a matter of preference.
I personally don't like the choke type or the prong collars.
And I have tried both...with no success.
Again, it's trial and error and whatever works
for the individual and dog.

With the Gentle Leader the human is the leader.
I have total control over the dog and her head movements and
actions. That gives me comfort.
Especially the one that fits over the head, like I have.
And my dogs totally respect me.

As far as the prong collar, it's good that you have found something
that works for you both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:17 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Nice pup but you NEED the prong, dogs respect the prong collar.It's pack leader (you) making the subordinate dog (them) comply. You must be the boss. Just like the mother wolf dog harshly corrects he pup with neck bites, you have to simulate that with a promg collar.
I'm not sure who you're addressing this to, but I agree with the last response... I just can't get myself to use a prong or choke collar, unless it was a case of severe aggression, or the dog was strong enough to hurt me. Luckily my doggie isn't too bad, so a gentle leader works just fine - and knowing his personality as I do (I've raised him since puppyhood), he'd resent me more than respect me for using a prong. But hey, to each his own.

P.S. In the chance that you were responding to me, that isn't my dog in the picture... it's just from the ad I copied.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Only a person whose been trained properly how to use either a slip chain or a prong collar should be using them.

Secondly, not all dogs can be under a prong. My male has a sensitive trachea after having been tied on a chain the first year of his life and it would never work.

Lastly, the Gentle Leader also corrects in the way the mother dog would correct her young; the muzzle "tap" and behind the crown on the head.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:24 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
We've been using the Gentle Leader since Rudy was a puppy, and it works wonders!! I stopped using it for a while, since I bought a pretty matching harness (to his leash & collar) - but I regretted that, and eventually went back to the Gentle Leader. We use the one that goes under the shoulders, since he's not a very strong dog @ only 39 lbs. (plus he never lunges or bites, only pulls & zig-zags) It looks like this:

That harness and another style we had used on our GSD (95 lbs) and Mix (85 lbs), and they both broke it before long....huh.
They are just so strong, and pull like crazy........
I can "tuck" them right by my leg, like they are supposed to walk....but after a while my arm falls off. I need the ADDED support of a functual leash...callor....whatever. I am giving the gentle leader a shot, since people on CD swear by it.
The worst case scenario? Return and lesson learned....I have not much to loose......

Old 07-26-2007, 09:34 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,333 times
I have very strong dogs that are not easy to control. I agree the gentle leader is a great product for those it works for. I did try it before my female hit 40lbs., (now 70) it just didn't work on her.

The chain can do throat damage but studies show the prong does 50% less damage. The prong is not something you constantly have to pull on. It's a 'pop', when correction is needed. Dogs are not stupid, they know when it's on, just like they know when an electric collar is on. All I have to do is point the remote control at my female and she listens.

Whatever works!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
OK. Now I think I'm going to be buying one of those gentle leaders.
I have a 70 lb dog who is strong as an ox and, although he listens, he goes crazy when he sees another dog, or we walk by a house with a barking dog. My big dog loves to zig zag too and his normal walk is a lot faster than mine so, one more item for the Petsmart list for this weekend! :-))

Old 07-26-2007, 11:55 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times
Smile A few more thoughts...

Everyone that is talking about buying a Gentle Leader, just be confident...think positive and have patience too.

If my baby OX can do it(see first post in this thread)...I have confidence in everybody else...and seriously, when I first put the Gentle Leader on her I was skeptical, because she is a little powerhouse! She weighs 65lbs right now...which is all muscle.

But after training her to walk nice with it on...it was such a pleasure to take her on walks.
And if I had video of it I'd post it...but when she just had a regular collar on she would pull SO hard to the point where she looked like she was crawling on the ground!...and my arm felt like it was about to pop out of the socket ...lol

Taking the obedience classes helped too, however, if you have basic leadership skills you should be fine. Read the manual that comes with it...I think mine had a DVD, that had 'visual' directions, as well.

Just keep in mind....IF the dogs may want to still pull ...that's where you come in and stop that behavior... just gently pull the Gentle Leader back(which is essentially gently pulling their head to the side) and say a firm "NO".
Distract them from the 'bad' behavior.

Until you get use to it as well as your dog... I would practice in your yard or in your house, for a bit.
But don't make too much of a fuss over it. Just remain in the "leader" position and your dog should adapt to it.

And as I mentioned earlier, don't be surprised if they do an 'alligator roll' when you first put it on them. When they do it...just let them roll around with it on...they're just trying to figure out the "feeling".
My APBT did it the first time I had it on her...but then she stopped almost instantly.

**And don't forget, if you buy it at a pet store, I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you with any questions**

Good luck everybody!! I have confidence in all of you and your pooches!!

Last edited by citybythebay; 07-26-2007 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Added poundage

Old 07-26-2007, 03:56 PM

575 posts, read 3,694,333 times
oh, you may need a really good flat collar too, if so, may I recommend a very strong Blocky Dog collar. You can also get it customized with a handle on the collar. They will not allow the word K9 unless you are in a certain type of profession. blockydogs.com/collars.htm

Here is my female with her BD on.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:10 PM

183 posts, read 1,133,887 times
I love the gentle leader. We have a border collie-lab mix. He's worn it since his puppy training classes. It's the only thing that controls his pulling, and it also makes him not bark at other on walks. Totally worth the money!

Old 07-26-2007, 07:20 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,707 times
We have 2 goldens. I walk the female and Husband walks the male. After cindy almost pulled my arm out and my back, I bought a gentle leader and my hubby laughed. Took a walk using just 2 fingers to control her and Hubby bought one for Yogi the next day Our walks are wonderful now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs