Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:48 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times

Advertisements

Anyone that uses a shock collar on a dog is not training the dog they a punishing all the time. That is plain lasy & stupid and you do not deserve to have a dog!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 11:45 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
So I got it today! The first 15 minutes was a FIGHT to say the least. Real battle. He kinda tolerates it now, so well see how it goes.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:32 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,625,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chick View Post
oh, you may need a really good flat collar too, if so, may I recommend a very strong Blocky Dog collar. You can also get it customized with a handle on the collar. They will not allow the word K9 unless you are in a certain type of profession. blockydogs.com/collars.htm

Here is my female with her BD on.

Pretty Malinois. We had a K9 handler on our job and we use to refer to her as the 4 leged land shark. She was only 65 lbs. but she sure could hit. Her only problem was that sometimes it was hard to get her to release, (which could be good or bad depending on your point of view ). I personally have used choke collars for years (stainless steel from Germany) but then again I know how to properly use one. I've seen people with choke chains on their dogs that are either put on wrong (backwards) or is too long or too short and the wrong thickness. They also believe that the chain is a hanging device designed to hurt the dog into submission. I will say that if anyone finds the need to use a choke chain, go to someone that knows about them so you get a proper fit and learn how to use them.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
So I got it today! The first 15 minutes was a FIGHT to say the least. Real battle. He kinda tolerates it now, so well see how it goes.

Give it some time! lol....seriously, it's not going to happen right away.
I kinda said that earlier. Ignore the tantrums if the dog is that goofy about it
and try it again later.

It is something NEW for both of you. Patience is a GOOD thing.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 PM

575 posts, read 3,694,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Anyone that uses a shock collar on a dog is not training the dog they a punishing all the time. That is plain lasy & stupid and you do not deserve to have a dog!!!
You haven't a clue what your talking about.
-----------------------

exhdo1, lol.... they are born little baby piranhas, then become alligator toddlers, or Maligators.... then with the right knowledge and training can become very effective. I will say this, they are one of the most loving breed I have owned. My little boy is a mad kissing machine. I can't even tip toe to another room without company or take a bath, they are always there watching. The watchers see everything and react whether it's real or imagined.

I know what you mean about hitting hard. They are a a very hard hitting dog, even just greeting you when you get home, I have been knocked off my feet more than once and recently got dragged to the ground and hauled 10 feet in mud before I let go of one and concentrated on holding the other. It left a few scrapes.

I use a regular choke to hook them outside when I am at the front of my yard, for their safety and people walking by. For running free they are on the electric so they can be corrected and recalled, and for walks they are on their prongs.

Here is their papa, Eros. Now this is a hard hitting Mal. I've got video of my huband taking it with a suit and then just with the muzzle. This dog muzzled can take down a 250lb., man and keep him down with just his body and paws.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick View Post
You haven't a clue what your talking about.
-----------------------

exhdo1, lol.... they are born little baby piranhas, then become alligator toddlers, or Maligators.... then with the right knowledge and training can become very effective. I will say this, they are one of the most loving breed I have owned. My little boy is a mad kissing machine. I can't even tip toe to another room without company or take a bath, they are always there watching. The watchers see everything and react whether it's real or imagined.

I know what you mean about hitting hard. They are a a very hard hitting dog, even just greeting you when you get home, I have been knocked off my feet more than once and recently got dragged to the ground and hauled 10 feet in mud before I let go of one and concentrated on holding the other. It left a few scrapes.

I use a regular choke to hook them outside when I am at the front of my yard, for their safety and people walking by. For running free they are on the electric so they can be corrected and recalled, and for walks they are on their prongs.

Here is their papa, Eros. Now this is a hard hitting Mal. I've got video of my huband taking it with a suit and then just with the muzzle. This dog muzzled can take down a 250lb., man and keep him down with just his body and paws.

I agree with you on shock collars, chokes and pinch collars. The misconception is from people that know little or nothing about training a dog (especially a working K9). They believe that these collars are torture devices and it's simply not true. It's funny, when I purchase my dog food the person at the register always ask if I want to round up to the next dollar to make a contribution to having dogs and cats spayed or nuetered. My reply is always "let me know when you collecting to have the owners of dogs and cats, that know nothing about dogs or cats spayed and nuetered, when you do that I'll donate a hundred".

"Here is their papa, Eros. Now this is a hard hitting Mal. I've got video of my huband taking it with a suit and then just with the muzzle. This dog muzzled can take down a 250lb., man and keep him down with just his body and paws."

Does he hit high and do the half twist when he makes contact?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:00 PM

575 posts, read 3,694,238 times
Hi again, in this photo of Eros having fun and he is high but that's what was called for. In a real scenario he is trained to take whatever he can.

Eros belongs to my trainer/breeder not me unfortunately.

He is trained in real and unexpected situations, like someone breaking into the house during the night, or driving along on a back road and cut off by a bad man with a gun (wearing a hidden suit) or anyone hitting daddy is a no no. Eros doesn't like any funny business or violence, it will set him off. He turns on very fast. He is a cat3, 1st place winner with his French Brevet (certified in protection) I wish he was my personal guardian

Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 AM

I think the Malinois we had at work had a little bit of a wiring problem. Her off switch didn't always work. She was a great dog and very social (she would lick you to death). She was probably the only dog we had that didn't start some sort of problems with the other pooches. It was just that darn on/off switch. The handler had to retire her out and now has a new Malinois that's doing fine. His retired dog stays at home with the family and is also doing fine. He does not do anymore bite work with her. We had the top "Malinois" trainers in the state try to sort her out with no luck. Good for the criminals, bad for the handler.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:48 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,915 times
We finally go our gentle leaders! Yay! lol! We haven't used them yet, all we did was fit them to the dogs so far, but we are going to walk them in a few minutes! I'm so excited! When we were adjusting them to the right sizes the dogs were not very happy! They were trying sooo hard to get them off, but as soon as I got their attention with a treat or something, they stopped messing with it for that moment. I'm thinking (hoping) that they will be happy that they are going for their walk and just not even bother with trying to get them off.. I don't know though, we will see! I'll let you know how it goes! lol!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:56 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Well, thank's a lot....huh...we are heading out tomorrow to buy one as well....LOL.
One word/ recommandation...and everyone heads out and buys....ahm..cough, cough....
Haha.. It is funny that everyone is getting these now! We were going to get these a few months ago and just never did. I saw an episode of that show, Its me or the dog, and they suggested using the head collars/ gentle leaders, so I wanted to try it out. I had never heard of the gentle leader though, we had always heard people call them head collars? lol! I googled "head collars" and I found them at Petsmart so, we were planning on going to get them when we had a chance, then I read what Citybythebay posted about the gentle leaders and they are the same thing as the head collars, but we did end up getting the actual gentle leader ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs