Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:58 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
We finally go our gentle leaders! Yay! lol! We haven't used them yet, all we did was fit them to the dogs so far, but we are going to walk them in a few minutes! I'm so excited! When we were adjusting them to the right sizes the dogs were not very happy! They were trying sooo hard to get them off, but as soon as I got their attention with a treat or something, they stopped messing with it for that moment. I'm thinking (hoping) that they will be happy that they are going for their walk and just not even bother with trying to get them off.. I don't know though, we will see! I'll let you know how it goes! lol!

LOL...I mentioned throughout this entire thread the reaction the dogs may give when it is fitted on them.
It's not a big deal people...lol...they'll get over the initial strange feeling.
BTW...The "alligator roll" I mentioned, is the same thing as 'trying to get it off'...lol...most if not all of the 20 other dogs in "Ladys" obedience training class reacted the same way...rolling on the ground, pawing at their faces...that lasted for about the first session...what helped was taking the dogs home and practice, practice, practice......training is a 24/7 process...

I'm hoping to read some positive stories!
It's good to read the stories from people that have experience with it.
I don't know what else to tell you all...but stress the fact that patience goes a very long way.

I absolutely LOVE the gentle leader, IMO, it was a God send and I thank my trainer 1000 x's over for introducing us to it and finally being able to take my APBT on some awesome adventures without the embarrassing tugging and pulling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 08:14 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
Citybythebay.. Okay, so Serg took Destiny and Jayda for a quick, extra walk last night just to see how they did. When he got back he told me that he LOVED the gentle leaders! lol! He said that every now and then they would paw at their face to try and get it off, but as soon as they started to walk again, they left it alone, so whenever they tried to mess with it Serg just started to walk and everything was fine! He did say that there were a few times where Destiny would just lay down (I guess because she was mad about wearing the gentle leader), but she got over it! lol! He said they didn't pull at all, they didn't mess with them very much and they had one of the best walks so far in their lives.. So, I would say it was a huge success! We are about to go for a nice lloonngg walk with all three of the babies when I'm done on here! I can't wait! I'm definitely going to be suggesting the gentle leader to everyone that has a dog, whether they ask or not! lol!

OHH!! I almost forgot to tell you.. Serg told me that a man was doing something is his driveway when Serg walked by with Destiny and Jayda, he said the guy looked at the girls then looked at Serg and said, "I noticed that your dogs have on some kind of muzzles.. So, are those things for your protection or ours?"... Haha! Wow! I really wish I was there for that! Serg isn't too great at handling things like that because our babies are sweet hearts and Serg (well, and myself.. lol) just doesn't get how people can see a "pit bull" that is obviously a wonderful, sweet dog with a good, responsible owner, but yet they still assume it's a monster simply because it's a "pit bull", but from what he told me, he did a very good job! I was very proud of him! Serg told him that they aren't muzzles, they are called gentle leaders and all they do is keep the pups from pulling the leash. He told him that the dogs can still eat, drink and do whatever else they need to do with the gentle leaders on and he told him that they are for our babies protection so that the don't end up hurting their throats pulling on their walks. Anyway, I just though that was too funny, but also kind of insulting. You know if we had walked by with say, a Lab, a Cocker Spaniel, a Golden, etc he might have asked what they were (though he probably wouldn't have said anything), but he definitely wouldn't have asked "So, are those for your protection or ours?".. Oh well, some people just really have no idea, I guess you can't really blame them, you know, all people hear about "pit bulls" these days are the twisted horror stories in the media!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 08-04-2007 at 08:25 PM..

Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Citybythebay.. Okay, so Serg took Destiny and Jayda for a quick, extra walk last night just to see how they did. When he got back he told me that he LOVED the gentle leaders! lol! He said that every now and then they would paw at their face to try and get it off, but as soon as they started to walk again, they left it alone, so whenever they tried to mess with it Serg just started to walk and everything was fine! He did say that there were a few times where Destiny would just lay down (I guess because she was mad about wearing the gentle leader), but she got over it! lol! He said they didn't pull at all, they didn't mess with them very much and they had one of the best walks so far in their lives.. So, I would say it was a huge success! We are about to go for a nice lloonngg walk with all three of the babies when I'm done on here! I can't wait! I'm definitely going to be suggesting the gentle leader to everyone that has a dog, whether they ask or not! lol!

OHH!! I almost forgot to tell you.. Serg told me that a man was doing something is his driveway when Serg walked by with Destiny and Jayda, he said the guy looked at the girls then looked at Serg and said, "I noticed that your dogs have on some kind of muzzles.. So, are those things for your protection or ours?"... Haha! Wow! I really wish I was there for that! Serg isn't too great at handling things like that because our babies are sweet hearts and Serg (well, and myself.. lol) just doesn't get how people can see a "pit bull" that is obviously a wonderful, sweet dog with a good, responsible owner, but yet they still assume it's a monster simply because it's a "pit bull", but from what he told me, he did a very good job! I was very proud of him! Serg told him that they aren't muzzles, they are called gentle leaders and all they do is keep the pups from pulling the leash. He told him that the dogs can still eat, drink and do whatever else they need to do with the gentle leaders on and he told him that they are for our babies protection so that the don't end up hurting their throats pulling on their walks. Anyway, I just though that was too funny, but also kind of insulting. You know if we had walked by with say, a Lab, a Cocker Spaniel, a Golden, etc he might have asked what they were (though he probably wouldn't have said anything), but he definitely wouldn't have asked "So, are those for your protection or ours?".. Oh well, some people just really have no idea, I guess you can't really blame them, you know, all people hear about "pit bulls" these days are the twisted horror stories in the media!

LOL...Yay....I'm doing my happy dance!!

LOL @ Destiny!...not only does she look like my Lady-Layla, she acts like her too!!...lol...the laying down thing makes laugh!....Lady would do the same thing...she'd just plop down right in the middle of a walk!...too cute!

The guy that had a comment to your husband...I've had people say similar things to me when she would pop her head out the truck window, while stopped at a light..."what is that?...some kind of muzzle"?...or the one guy asked if it was on her because she was bad??? I withhold laughing as much as I can...and just explain what it is...but I think people that don't have dogs don't understand and see what they want to see...lol

Good for your husband for speaking up!...I see you have him trained well too...lol...don't show him this....

Old 08-05-2007, 02:20 PM

OMG! Destiny does not like this thing! lmao! She scared me to death! We walked them last night and everything was fine for a while, but then Destiny started making these god awful noises! I thought she was going to die! I freaked out and took the gentle leader off and hooked her leash onto her regular collar, as soon as I stood up she took off running and the leash yanked her back, she flew through the air and fell on the grass! lmao! She does not like her gentle leader at all! She was fine once I took it off so, after a few minutes, once she was calmed down some I put it back on her. Before we started to walk I made sure that it wasn't to tight or to loose and it was fit perfectly, well we stared to walk and she pawed at her face, laid down a few times, rolled around on the ground and as soon as we started to walk again she started making that noise again! So, I just took it off and walked her home. I know that the gentle leader isn't hurting her or anything so, I'm convinced that she outsmarted me! lmao! She knows she's my baby and if she's miserable, I'm miserable! I love all three of my babies with all of my heart and I would do anything for them, but Desy is my little princess! I don't know what it is about her, I think it's because she's such a mamas girl? Anyway, I have decided I'm not going to take it off next time, she will get over it. Jayda is use to it now, she's fine.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:26 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,089 times
CBTB, I forgot to tell you!!!Our two babies love the gentle leader!!!We are using it for over 3 days now.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
OMG! Destiny does not like this thing! lmao! She scared me to death! We walked them last night and everything was fine for a while, but then Destiny started making these god awful noises! I thought she was going to die! I freaked out and took the gentle leader off and hooked her leash onto her regular collar, as soon as I stood up she took off running and the leash yanked her back, she flew through the air and fell on the grass! lmao! She does not like her gentle leader at all! She was fine once I took it off so, after a few minutes, once she was calmed down some I put it back on her. Before we started to walk I made sure that it wasn't to tight or to loose and it was fit perfectly, well we stared to walk and she pawed at her face, laid down a few times, rolled around on the ground and as soon as we started to walk again she started making that noise again! So, I just took it off and walked her home. I know that the gentle leader isn't hurting her or anything so, I'm convinced that she outsmarted me! lmao! She knows she's my baby and if she's miserable, I'm miserable! I love all three of my babies with all of my heart and I would do anything for them, but Desy is my little princess! I don't know what it is about her, I think it's because she's such a mamas girl? Anyway, I have decided I'm not going to take it off next time, she will get over it. Jayda is use to it now, she's fine.

OMG Destiny, you need to chill, pup!!!! LOL....

PBM, that noise that she makes which you're speaking of...I will laugh my butt off, if it is a grunting noise?!!?

My baby, Lady use to grunt...literally like a pig...lol...when it was on her along with the theatrics of shaking her head and doing the 'alligator-roll' ...thrashing around on the ground...lol...she stopped doing it after about the first week of training.

Glad to hear the other kids are doing good with it!
Destiny is going to need a little extra special attention.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
CBTB, I forgot to tell you!!!Our two babies love the gentle leader!!!We are using it for over 3 days now.

Yay! ...I gotta get out my dancin' shoes...

Old 08-05-2007, 03:41 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,089 times
You Started A Gentle Leader Trend!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
OMG Destiny, you need to chill, pup!!!! LOL....

PBM, that noise that she makes which you're speaking of...I will laugh my butt off, if it is a grunting noise?!!?

My baby, Lady use to grunt...literally like a pig...lol...when it was on her along with the theatrics of shaking her head and doing the 'alligator-roll' ...thrashing around on the ground...lol...she stopped doing it after about the first week of training.

Glad to hear the other kids are doing good with it!
Destiny is going to need a little extra special attention.
Yeah, it's like a horrible grunting, loud panting, gurgly kind of noise! lmao! She scared me to death! It sounds like my Desy is just a mini Lady! Brooklyn hasn't had one problem with it! We just put it on him no problem and go for our walk! Jayda didn't like it, but like I said, by the second walk she was fine! Destiny HATES it, but she's just going to have to get over it! lol! We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these gentle leaders and now that we have used these, I wouldn't walk them with anything else! It saves me from having my arm ripped out of the socket and it saves our pups from hurting themselves! I have to say that the gentle leader is by far the best thing we have ever bought for our dogs and I will definitely be suggesting this to everyone!

Old 08-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
That's awesome! Were your babies okay with it to start with or did it take them some time to get use to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs