Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:59 PM

122 posts, read 124,829 times

Advertisements

I’ve noticed that my two dogs jump differently. I’ve noticed it when they take a jump voluntarily, when they are in a start line stay directly in front of the jump, and at varying distances.

The other day, they were both jumping for fun and I just had to grab my phone and start videoing them. No tripod so it’s a little wobbly.

Dollie has always been described to me as a “pretty jumper”. She’s jumped a 4 foot fence from a virtual standstill once and never dropped a bar until we started to run in the Agility Open class. Even in the harder class, she rarely drops a bar. Each time she has, it’s due to poor cueing on my part.

Onyx is more of a freight train. He has plowed into bars for fun and had to learn that an Obedience high jump DOES NOT KNOCK DOWN. Because he’s young and tucks his rear legs in, I’ve had to raise the jump heights very slowly for him.

My first impression is that my concerns with unnecessary stress on Dollie’s front assembly is warranted. I usually set the jumps in the backyard at 16” and raise them up to 24” prior to a Trial. In the video, they are at 20” for Onyx.

With Onyx, he needs to learn to jump in extension, collection, and be able to wrap around the poles. As far as I can tell, as long as he barely clears the jump, he’s good with it.

I plan to set up some cavaletti jumps at the training club and video both of them. I also want to get some pictures of them stacked. And lastly, I’m trying to get into a private lesson with an Agility instructor that specializes in jumping.

Who knew that jumping could be so complicated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSph7X1CMQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 05:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards13 View Post
With Onyx, he needs to learn to jump in extension, collection, and be able to wrap around the poles. As far as I can tell, as long as he barely clears the jump, he’s good with it.

And lastly, I’m trying to get into a private lesson with an Agility instructor that specializes in jumping.
Yes, jumping safely and efficiently is complicated. I agree that a couple of sessions with an experienced progressive agility instructor will help. If you aren't already, I also suggest beginning a conditioning program using Fitpaws; because correct use of Fitpaws for conditioning involves shaping the dog's position on the equipment, it will also help with proprioception.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:39 AM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
I just took a short video of my 5 year old GSD figuring out he could jump the 3 ft garden fence I have. I had to show him he could jump back over it (so I didn't have to open the gate each time). Now he is entertaining us all with his jumping
His is like Dollie's, and is very graceful or "pretty" with front legs first.
Funny I have never considered it either. Thanks for sharing! Gives me training fun motivation.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:14 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
I have never done agility, but am taking my knowledge from jumping horses:

If the agility classes depend on height, you might want to make an oxer for your second dog which will probably force him to learn to lift up his front end, land on his front end first.

I could be wrong, but I can't see him being able to land on all fours if you get into a comp with height in it? He's not giving a nicely rounded arc and his back legs are going to snag the pole when height is added in.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:31 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

If the agility classes depend on height, you might want to make an oxer for your second dog which will probably force him to learn to lift up his front end, land on his front end first.

I could be wrong, but I can't see him being able to land on all fours if you get into a comp with height in it? He's not giving a nicely rounded arc and his back legs are going to snag the pole when height is added in.
It's much the same as with horses. A lot of my friends who ride translate what they've learned through riding into how they handle their dogs. My friend who teaches me agility right now is a fairly advanced rider and her lessons often reference her experience with horses.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:33 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
I've got nothing add except: I love watching dog videos!

Old 12-04-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Yes, jumping safely and efficiently is complicated. I agree that a couple of sessions with an experienced progressive agility instructor will help. If you aren't already, I also suggest beginning a conditioning program using Fitpaws; because correct use of Fitpaws for conditioning involves shaping the dog's position on the equipment, it will also help with proprioception.
Were you listening to Susan Garrett? That’s the second time in a day that I heard that word.

I use a Fitpaws disc. I don’t inflate it all the way and use it for Sit/Stays. It’s a nice tool – gives the dog the anchoring of a platform, but it’s a squishy platform so he has to be consciously mindful of sitting.

I also found out the person that I’ve reached out to for some lessons is in Pennsylvania at the AKC European Open Team Tryouts. She should be back by the middle of the week. I’ll try to be patient!

Old 12-04-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It's much the same as with horses. A lot of my friends who ride translate what they've learned through riding into how they handle their dogs. My friend who teaches me agility right now is a fairly advanced rider and her lessons often reference her experience with horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

Thanks for the feedback! I was hoping that people with experience jumping horses would comment.

Yes, I don’t think he arcs at all and he has banged his knees on the Obedience jump. He’s jumping 20” now; but will end up jumping 24” in both Obedience and Agility.

In Obedience, he can get away with that awful looking jump and our Obedience instructor doesn’t see that as a problem. But, in Agility, they don’t always have the option of taking a jump straight on nor do they have the choice of the spacing of jumps.

I had to look up what an oxer is. I took a picture of my triple jump with the bars set at 24”. Is this kind of like what an oxer is?

With Agility, they are supposed to jump the triple in the direction of lower bar to progressively higher bar. I have to take the bars down when not using it because I’ve caught my girl taking the jump backwards and I worry about her seeing/clearing that lower bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Isn't jumping just - jumping?-onyx-jumps.jpg  

Old 12-04-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I just took a short video of my 5 year old GSD figuring out he could jump the 3 ft garden fence I have. I had to show him he could jump back over it (so I didn't have to open the gate each time). Now he is entertaining us all with his jumping
His is like Dollie's, and is very graceful or "pretty" with front legs first.
Funny I have never considered it either. Thanks for sharing! Gives me training fun motivation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I've got nothing add except: I love watching dog videos!
I’m glad you liked the video. I also like to look at dog videos especially dogs at work.

I have some rough video of Onyx and me heeling. I’m mulling it over on how to edit – I shot the video with the objective of critiquing my footwork. So, I want to point out where I’m mostly so-so, one time where I was brilliant, and the one time where I’m wondering – what are you thinking?

Old 12-04-2017, 06:31 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards13 View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I was hoping that people with experience jumping horses would comment.

Yes, I don’t think he arcs at all and he has banged his knees on the Obedience jump. He’s jumping 20” now; but will end up jumping 24” in both Obedience and Agility.

In Obedience, he can get away with that awful looking jump and our Obedience instructor doesn’t see that as a problem. But, in Agility, they don’t always have the option of taking a jump straight on nor do they have the choice of the spacing of jumps.

I had to look up what an oxer is. I took a picture of my triple jump with the bars set at 24”. Is this kind of like what an oxer is?

With Agility, they are supposed to jump the triple in the direction of lower bar to progressively higher bar. I have to take the bars down when not using it because I’ve caught my girl taking the jump backwards and I worry about her seeing/clearing that lower bar.
Yes, and horses on the loose in an arena with oxers left set up face the same danger... of jumping them backwards and catching their back legs on the lower bars. Some horses just love to jump, with or without riders. It is a good idea to take them down when not in use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs