Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:36 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,887 times

Advertisements

Posted by Niftybergin:
Quote:
Please, please.... If you are not a professional breeder committing to maintaining and even improving the breed standard and health of the breed, please do not breed your Sibe. Your dog may LOOK perfect. He may even ACT perfect. But you just don't know what's lurking underneath all that outer perfection.
That is what I was trying to say in my earlier posting also...thanks for wording it.

Only 2 of my Siberians are breed standard. Now some may say, what does that matter, well, keep substandard and non selective breeding up and soon, the original lines will vanish, except for the responsible breeders who care about the future of the breed, not just satisfying the public demand for Siberians.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
Only 2 of my Siberians are breed standard. Now some may say, what does that matter, well, keep substandard and non selective breeding up and soon, the original lines will vanish, except for the responsible breeders who care about the future of the breed, not just satisfying the public demand for Siberians.
Bandit is not quite standard, either. He's undeniably gorgeous. Honestly, I think he's the most beautiful Siberian I've ever seen, and people are ALWAYS asking me if I'd use him for stud service, etc. (He's fixed, so no worries on that score.) But while Bandit's temperament is great, he's also too tall and too long for a Siberian, and he weighs 74 pounds...whereas this breed is supposed to max out (for males) at 60 pounds. He's perfectly proportioned, but he's still not standard. I don't know why he's so big: his mom is pretty small, and his dad is standard-sized.

One of the dangers of backyard breeding is that it does change the "standard" and the looks of the breed, but also the temperament. I recall that that was one of the problems with the American Cocker Spaniel a few decades ago. Incautious overbreeding resulted in some temperament issues, and people had their hands full of grouchy, snappish cockers.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,232,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Woof. Read my previous post first. lpdsag said she wanted to breed her dog for the hell of it then edited it to what you just quoted. I have absolutely no doubt she has had a litter since that post.
or more!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
UGH!!

just did 680 miles and 14 hours of transport yesterday..... purebred rat terrier boy on his way to his forever home in dallas and on the way back home, a GORGEOUS and well trained and well mannered dobie girl and a rattie mix.....

the dobie and the rattie mix, i pulled out of the municipal shelter in joplin, missouri .....

they are the lucky ones.... going into great rescues here in st. louis.....

Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Were there not three pages on here stating all the valid reasons not to breed?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Were there not three pages on here stating all the valid reasons not to breed?
All this person sees is $$$. He could care less that he's contributing to the millions killed every single year.

Or he's a troll. Which is what I'm guessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs