Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 03:40 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times

Advertisements

Just remember for every pup that is born, dozens in shelters die because there just are not enough homes for all of them! Why bring more into this cruel world for animals. There is also a chance at least one if not more of your pups will end up unwanted in a shelter somewhere, unfortunately! It is just a fact. Huskies are high energy dogs and need special educated people homes! I have seen many in kill shelters! Please do not breed while shelter pets are dying!

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-23-2008 at 04:27 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 03:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Well this is an old thread & hopefully the OP got to do what she wanted...Spay the dog!

Old 08-23-2008, 04:09 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlmontgomery00 View Post
I have a Male siberian husky, that i would like to breed. He is a great dog with great markings if u are still looking to breed your female please contact me. Tlmontgomery00@yahoo.com He is mostly white but has black and gray on his back little black freckels on his face. I have never seen another like him outside of his brother. I have looked high and low for some one willing to breed their female but have yet to find some one localy. i can send pictures and provide more info as soon as i recieve your email. Thank You
Tenisha Dayton Ohio
Why do you want to breed your dog? Is he champion? Is he going to improve the breed? Have you done appropriate genetic testing? Please review this thread in its entirety.

Breeding is something that shouldn't be done because 'I have such a great dog and love him so much that there should be more just like him.' It takes a great deal of money, time and effort to breed a dog, and it should take a GREAT deal of forethought.

Too many dogs are in shelters because they loved their dogs so much that they thought that breeding them would either 1) produce more wonderful dogs - that nobody wanted or 2) make them money.

Please have your dog neutered.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:30 PM

[quote=Viralmd;4971119]Why do you want to breed your dog? Is he champion? Is he going to improve the breed? Have you done appropriate genetic testing? Please review this thread in its entirety.

Breeding is something that shouldn't be done because 'I have such a great dog and love him so much that there should be more just like him.' It takes a great deal of money, time and effort to breed a dog, and it should take a GREAT deal of forethought.

Too many dogs are in shelters because they loved their dogs so much that they thought that breeding them would either 1) produce more wonderful dogs - that nobody wanted or 2) make them money.

Please have your dog neutered.[/QUOTE

Of course he wants to breed for you know what! $$$$$

Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,637 times
Nice information.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:21 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
I agree that this is an old thread, but just to add my two cents...

I'm the mom of a 7-year-old Siberian Husky who is epileptic. In his case, his condition is genetic -- he got it from his mother -- and the three other puppies in the litter from which he came turned out to be epileptic as well. One of them (my brother's dog, Bodie) died in the fall of 2007 as a result of his seizures, at the age of 5. He clustered one morning and couldn't stop, and by the time my brother got him to the vet, Bodie's core body temperature had risen to 116 and the vets euthanized him on the spot.

Getting control of my dog Bandit's epilepsy has been a time-consuming and costly process...a lot of trial and error. I'm happy to say that we seem to be having good luck with his current course of treatment, which is that he's on Phenobarbital twice per day. Still, a lot of effort goes into my ensuring that he gets the medical care and other treament he needs to stay as seizure-free as possible. I probably spend an extra $400 per year on vet bills related to medication and bloodwork and other tests. For me and Bandit, that's okay. We make it work. But there are lots of other "Bandits" in this world whose owners may not be able or willing to handle the costs or the drama related to their epileptic animal. Such animals would be turned over to shelters, or simply let loose.

My vet tells me that epilepsy is Siberian Huskies is on the rise. They are now one of the top 25 breeds showing a genetic predisposition for epilepsy. Also, my vet tells me that for whatever reason, epilepsy is notoriously difficult to control in Siberians. (That has certainly been the case for my family and our 4 epileptic Siberians, all of whom came from the same bloodline.)

Most dogs who have genetic epilepsy do not manifest seizures until they are 1-2 years old. Bandit and the others came from a litter of puppies that my brother's dogs had when the mom, Dakota, was just a little over 1 year old. At the time that she had the pups, she had not had any seizures. My brother had no clue that this was lurking in her genetic profile, and while he didn't deliberately try to breed her -- she went into heat, and my brother's un-neutered male who was the same age as Dakota took care of the rest -- he might have rushed to have had her spayed if he had known about the epilepsy.

My point is just that Bandit and his littermates are another great example of why backyard breeding is not necessarily a good idea. Bandit's mom and dad are both AKC-registered, pure-bred Siberian Huskies. Neither of them is "show-quality," but both are fairly standard. And yet...epilepsy was in the bloodline, and that got passed onto the pups.

Please, please.... If you are not a professional breeder committing to maintaining and even improving the breed standard and health of the breed, please do not breed your Sibe. Your dog may LOOK perfect. He may even ACT perfect. But you just don't know what's lurking underneath all that outer perfection.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I agree that this is an old thread, but just to add my two cents...

I'm the mom of a 7-year-old Siberian Husky who is epileptic. In his case, his condition is genetic -- he got it from his mother -- and the three other puppies in the litter from which he came turned out to be epileptic as well. One of them (my brother's dog, Bodie) died in the fall of 2007 as a result of his seizures, at the age of 5. He clustered one morning and couldn't stop, and by the time my brother got him to the vet, Bodie's core body temperature had risen to 116 and the vets euthanized him on the spot.

Getting control of my dog Bandit's epilepsy has been a time-consuming and costly process...a lot of trial and error. I'm happy to say that we seem to be having good luck with his current course of treatment, which is that he's on Phenobarbital twice per day. Still, a lot of effort goes into my ensuring that he gets the medical care and other treament he needs to stay as seizure-free as possible. I probably spend an extra $400 per year on vet bills related to medication and bloodwork and other tests. For me and Bandit, that's okay. We make it work. But there are lots of other "Bandits" in this world whose owners may not be able or willing to handle the costs or the drama related to their epileptic animal. Such animals would be turned over to shelters, or simply let loose.

My vet tells me that epilepsy is Siberian Huskies is on the rise. They are now one of the top 25 breeds showing a genetic predisposition for epilepsy. Also, my vet tells me that for whatever reason, epilepsy is notoriously difficult to control in Siberians. (That has certainly been the case for my family and our 4 epileptic Siberians, all of whom came from the same bloodline.)

Most dogs who have genetic epilepsy do not manifest seizures until they are 1-2 years old. Bandit and the others came from a litter of puppies that my brother's dogs had when the mom, Dakota, was just a little over 1 year old. At the time that she had the pups, she had not had any seizures. My brother had no clue that this was lurking in her genetic profile, and while he didn't deliberately try to breed her -- she went into heat, and my brother's un-neutered male who was the same age as Dakota took care of the rest -- he might have rushed to have had her spayed if he had known about the epilepsy.

My point is just that Bandit and his littermates are another great example of why backyard breeding is not necessarily a good idea. Bandit's mom and dad are both AKC-registered, pure-bred Siberian Huskies. Neither of them is "show-quality," but both are fairly standard. And yet...epilepsy was in the bloodline, and that got passed onto the pups.

Please, please.... If you are not a professional breeder committing to maintaining and even improving the breed standard and health of the breed, please do not breed your Sibe. Your dog may LOOK perfect. He may even ACT perfect. But you just don't know what's lurking underneath all that outer perfection.

I agree 100%. I am the mom of a four-year old Sibe who is just now showing signs of corneal dystrophy, also a genetic condition, for which there is no treatment. She is, as they all are, an absolutely gorgeous animal and you would never know that she has anything wrong with her to look at her. At the age that she is, she could have already had several litters had she not been spayed as this condition, like many others, does not show up unti around 4-5 years of age.

Leave the breeding to the experts.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 PM

Take your hubby to the local shelter and ask them which dogs will be put down at the end of the week! I am sure you may see some huskies in there too! This might or should change any animal lovers mind about bringing more dogs into this cruel world. So many in need of homes. For each pup born thousands are euthenized in shelters all over due to the lack a home! Sad! The economy is so bad now and more dogs are being turned in to shelters! Please spay and neuter your pets!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I would like to breed my female siberian husky. I have read post saying not to breed and I understand. This is my thought as well but I have a husband who wants to breed our dog. I am going to try and yet convince him that breeding her would be a mistake and lets just get her fixed and enjoy her for the great dog she is. Thanks for the posts!
How many puppies will she have? Five? Eight? Nine?

That's nine dogs that will be thrown into the gasser. Maybe not your, but the dogs they displaced somewhere down the line.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Woof. Read my previous post first. lpdsag said she wanted to breed her dog for the hell of it then edited it to what you just quoted. I have absolutely no doubt she has had a litter since that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs