Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:26 AM

119 posts, read 467,779 times

Advertisements

I have had my Lab/Shepherd for 2 1/2 years and he is 80lbs and we jog a lot. When we jog is a perfect companion and loves it but when we walk he hates the slower pace and kind of pulls and walks ahead of me. I have let this go since most of the time we jog and it doesnt matter. But now I have a really small 10lb Sheltie. She does really well on a leash and walks right beside me. When I take both of them for a walk it is pretty difficult because my big dog is always ahead and pulling and both dogs want to walk on the same side. It is doable but a little more work than I like my walks to be. I have been thinking about just taking Buddy for a jog and leaving Siera home and then coming back and getting her for a nice walk. The problem with this is that I know my Lab/Shepherd mix will cry the whole time I am gone because he loves his walks/jogs so much. Do you walk both dogs at the same time or seperately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 AM

718 posts, read 2,078,748 times
I walk my two dogs separately for just the reason you described.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
I walk them together. If you've already had a jog with Buddy before the walk, no reason he can't learn to walk slower for the walk.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
We walk all three of ours together (2 on one side & 1 on the other). It takes practice and training to get multi-dog walks mastered but its well worth it for us. We also have our dogs trained to sit whenever we stop. Its a good practice and keep the dog's focus where it should be, on you. Also advise you get your dog thats a puller a martingale collar and 4 ft lead. That will help with training and control. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:17 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,895 times
When we walked our dogs where we use to live, we bought this connector of sorts. You clip it on to both of their collars & put one leash on in the middle. Gives the dogs plenty of room to walk between them and you only have one leash to deal with. Dogs walk together, perfectly.

They come in all sizes.

We would walk 4 Rottweilers at a time. It worked out great.

Now we don't walk them, cause they have plenty of acres to run here in the country.
So glad we moved all those years ago. I LOVE to watch the Rotts run free on the acreage, and yes it's all fenced in so they can't get out.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I walk my dogs separately. My lab is too old. The other dog would easily cause him to trip or lose his balance.

I've always walked them separately if I was walking them alone. Two strong dogs is just more than I can handle if an emergency (cat, squirrel...) develops!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Ours are small and we do walk them tog., it's a bit tricky if we're picking up after one and a jogger runs past though. They're seniors now and have slowed down but it was a bit more difficult when they were younger (we're near a well-traveled road and sometimes there were fast cars or motorcycles or bike riders and ours wanted to take off after them, we really had to be aware of what was down the road or around the corner)

Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
Together. They are the same size, so it works out. That thing that clips to the leash to make it one? Yea, failed big time here! I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! They've been walking fine lately, so no need for special gadgets here.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
I have always walked my two together and walked three together when Phoenix lived with us and still sometimes do three when we visit my dad and Phoenix . Right now I have an elderly dog and a young fast sighthound and have no problems.

Try taking the larger dog out a few time just him and suddenly with out any warning switch directions so he has to turn and follow even if it means the dog gets to the end of his leash before he turns.Do this over and over as it will teach him to watch you and walk along with you. Soon the dog will see you starting the turn and do it right with you. If I am taking a friends dog that is pulling out walking I will do this exercise for a few minutes ad soon they are walking along side me. I do this several times on a regular multi dog walk too as it just keeps them focused on me . I also do alot of obedience things like sits and downs during walks , Just a sudden Sit or down. It really tires them out faster as they get mental as well as physical exercise.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:08 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,020 times
I have 3 and we always hike together (Jack & Naala attached to me via a skijor harness and Miss Abby on a leash. Man, do we make good time ) and sometimes I walk them together. Usually, I walk them separately. They're together all the time and adore each other but, I think it's nice for them to be able to enjoy the individual attention on our evening walks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs