Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:17 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,129 times

Advertisements

Twice a day... when I get up, which varies, and around 6pm. Both the cat and the dog get fed then and now they expect it so I get informed when I'm off schedule, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:59 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Yea, we used to free feed as well, and it worked out great. No more of that! And I really shouldn't worry, since Porkchop does live up to his name! Ok, not really, but he's not exactly underweight yet!

You need to teach me your medication trick. I've tried hot dogs, sticking it in his food, putting treats around it and somehow he still finds the pill and spits it out!

i put about a cup of kibble in each of their bowls in the morning .... i also put kibble in 2 puzzle toys that i leave for them when i head out for work in the morning..... they have to work to get the kibble by pushing and rolling the toys around (along with a few treats to keep it REALLY interesting) .... i will sometimes come home to find kibble strewn over the family room floor and down the hall from them pushing the toys around and cherry-picking the treats out and leaving the kibble.... but by the end of the evening, they have gotten the kibble up too..... it just seems to taste better when eaten off of the floor....

there are many days that they eat very little of the kibble in their bowls......

for medicine, i swipe a finger through a jar of peanut butter to get a good sized gob and push the pill into the middle of that.... they lick the peanut butter (and the pill) off of my finger, none the wiser..... if i am just giving a pill to one and not the other, i still have to give the other a finger of peanut butter.....

Old 06-15-2010, 05:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
I always have fed my dog wet food in the morning but keep dry food avilable at all times. I have found that my dogs have never over eaten and seem to eat slower that way.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
Twice. At 6.00am, after our morning walk and then again at about 4.30pm. He doesn't usually eat the morning meal in the morning, though -- he typically waits until I eat lunch. And he rarely finishes either of his meals. I wouldn't worry about PC -- I think he's like Artie, who eats when he's hungry, and that's it.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 PM

848 posts, read 1,954,405 times
Twice a day here also.

Mine are raw fed and NEVER leave one bit.

My previous GSD self-regulated, but was kibble fed. I can't imagine any dog leaving raw food.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:08 PM

490 posts, read 1,789,515 times
I feed Calypso about twice a day (plus some occasional snack here and there), but lately since she has been on raw, she may choose to leave her food and eat it when she is hungry. Sometimes she is not very hungry, but sometimes, like today, she is. I, by accident, gave her 3 chicken quarters this morning after a very active session of swimming and playing and I though she would not eat them all. Well, she did, all of them and within 20 minutes! So dinner was light, just a raw piece of beef rib.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Twice. At 6.00am, after our morning walk and then again at about 4.30pm. He doesn't usually eat the morning meal in the morning, though -- he typically waits until I eat lunch. And he rarely finishes either of his meals. I wouldn't worry about PC -- I think he's like Artie, who eats when he's hungry, and that's it.
and this is a GOOD thing.......

i am starting to work some raw in to bailey and dave's diet too.....

and i think i am going to replace most of their reward treats with finely diced raw chicken or beef........ bailey is VERY food (treat) motivated.... dave not so much when we are out.... i chopped up a piece of chicken tonight and will try that with him tomorrow...... hope that works better for him than the premium treats we have been using.... as a bonus, it is less per pound too.....

Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,299,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i will sometimes come home to find kibble strewn over the family room floor and down the hall from them pushing the toys around and cherry-picking the treats out and leaving the kibble.
I'll let you borrow MB for a day. Every single kibble and crumbs you never knew you had will be gone! He's like a vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yea, I'd love to just leave it out for him, but no longer an option. Now he's forced to eat on a schedule and he's protesting. The funny thing is, if we leave it when we go out, he will eat. Once I forgot something, and walked back into the house and caught him eating. He stopped the second I walked in. He has some kind of an eating disorder and only eats in private!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Twice a day here also.

Mine are raw fed and NEVER leave one bit.

My previous GSD self-regulated, but was kibble fed. I can't imagine any dog leaving raw food.
Mine eats predominately raw as well. Leaves a ton behind! Same goes for the very occasional kibble. He's just not a big eater!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,543,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Once I forgot something, and walked back into the house and caught him eating. He stopped the second I walked in. He has some kind of an eating disorder and only eats in private!

I'm starting to think Bella is the same way. She has stopped eating when I put the food down because Buster will eat the second it goes on his plate (yes they are currently eating off of paper plates because of the whole bowl fiasco) but she seems to either eat her food when he is done and away from their eating area, or when no one else is looking. If Josh and I look over at her when she is eating she'll stop and walk away. She's a weirdo. Right now she is laying on the couch licking Busters ears lol

Old 06-16-2010, 12:16 AM

418 posts, read 1,382,802 times
Mine eat once. They ate twice for years but as Char, my boxer, has gotten older he won't eat his morning meal and Coco, my lab, eats it. She is overweight and he is not. I decided to cut back to once a day and I give him a little more. She has lost weight and he has still maintained.
I wish I could free feed but Charlie would starve and Coco would weigh 200 lbs. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs