Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM

15 posts, read 37,252 times

Advertisements

I've been reading over the forums, yet I'm still confused as to what I should eat and shouldn't eat, how much and what is good and not.

I was hoping some of you could give me some advice on what to do. Currently I am 6'2 and I weigh 310, I'd like to get down to a healthy size, which according to experts is anywhere from 145 to 190.

I've read things saying you want to continue to take in the same amount of calories, which I believe is 3,100 for me (assuming multiplying your weight by 10 is correct). And continue to work out and you will lose weight. However I'm a bit confused as how that could be possible. Wouldn't it be better to cut the calories in half and continue to work out?

I've been eating those Lean Cuisine meals, but after reading some post on the forum I think I should get away from them as they seem to be not so good for you because they aren't natural.

What exactly are good things to eat and how do you know what is "natural" and what isn't? I'm sure there has to be some sort of fake ones out there or borderline ones. I've thought about just doing a salad diet or something along that line, but apparently from what I've read it might not be good.

I think what the main problem is there is so much stuff out there I'm not sure what to do and what not to do so I was hoping someone could tell me what they've done to lose weight, meal wise.

Could someone give me say a day of food they eat so perhaps it would be easier to understand what to eat?

Would it be easier to just do one of those diet things, like South Beach?

Any help and tips would be great I really need some help.

Thank you for taking the time to read and help, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,072,440 times
First of all, at 6'2" you'd be a bean pole at 145, you'd be much better off at the 190+ end of that range.

Second, keep it simple...whatever you eat, eat less. Try to eat more fruits and veggies and less processed stuff.
Do whatever exercise you can but do it regularly.

I like this little type of calculator Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs . Unless you are exercising heavily, 3100 calories is too much for how much you want to weigh. I plugged in 195 lbs, age 35 and light exercise and got 2600 calories to maintain a weight of 195, less to lose weight. Of course I don't know your real age or exercise level...just showing one way to figure out how many calories you should be eating.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 AM

I thought the same about the weight, I thought 190-205 would probably be best for me or somewhere in that range.

I've been eating a lot smaller portions, not to the point where I'm starving myself, but to the point that I know what isn't overly done.

I did the calculator thing which works pretty well and is a lot better than most, thank you for that.

Would it be smart to plug in everything, but the weight I want and follow the amount of calories a day they say to maintain that weight, would that help me out as well?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:51 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,072,440 times
You'll still lose weight by following the 'maintain' amount of calories but it will be slower. The good part about it though is that you'd be eating while you are losing weight the same way you'd need to eat to maintain the weight loss.
If you go with less calories now you'd have to increase later on to maintain. Some people have a tendency to overcompensate and gain some weight back at the end.

However, since you are looking to lose 100 pounds, I'd talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends for you.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 AM

Is there a website that I can see how many calories have foods in them and stuff to keep track?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,993,229 times
As far as food goes, I always try to follow what Jack Lalanne says: "If man made it, dont eat it". But I know sometimes we may have to eat and run with our schedules so I think it would be okay to have a Healthy Choice dinner once or twice per week, as long as you stick to a good HEALTHY diet.

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT YOU SHOULD NOT DIET!!! The best, most effective, and healthiest way to lose weight is by eating the right foods in the right amounts. Stay away from any and all of those fad diets. But you also need to know, that eating right alone will not necessarily cause you to lose weight in the most effective and healthy way. You must also have an exercise plan as well.

What types of exercise are you currently doing?
How often are you exercising?
At what intensity levels are you exercising?

I dropped about 20-25 pounds within the past 5-6 months. I increased my strength and stamina at the same time while dropping my body fat percentage. Keep in mind, that this was done with both eating right and an intense workout plan.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:20 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,993,229 times
Are you the type (like many people) who get great enjoyment out of your food? Like you look forward to eating, or get really excited about certain dishes or food? If so, this could be a bit tricky because it will involve changing your attitude about what and how you eat. Some people eat for enjoyment, while others (like me) eat for fuel so its a different mindset and different mental approach to eating is what is needed.

Sample diet:

Breakfast: Bowl of Quaker oats with half banana, strawberries or blueberries. Or bowl of raisin bran with scoop of protein powder. Half grapefruit.

Snack: Trader Joes raw mixed nuts OR Apple butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat toast OR cottage cheese with almond slivers or blueberries.

Lunch: Chunk light tuna sandwich with kidney beans and corn on whole wheat bread OR raw baby spinich or broccoli and brown rice and grilled chicken breast.

Snack: Same snack as above.

Dinner: Grilled chicken breast or lean meat with brown rice or yams and fresh broccoli or spinich.

Dessert: cottage cheese with almond slivers and fruit (strawberries, banana or blueberries).

Snack: Trader Joes raw mixed nuts, other half of grapefruit from breakfast.

You also would want a pre-workout snack as well unless you workout first thing in the morning. If so, I suggest NO snack. Let your body convert the fat to use as energy for your workouts. Maybe only have a half cup of black coffee before.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
What types of exercise are you currently doing?
How often are you exercising?
At what intensity levels are you exercising?
Right now I've been doing a lot of cardio on the treadmill I have here. I heard that I shouldn't really worry about lifting weights and stuff. I've been doing a lot of what I did in high school, jumping jacks, situps, crunches, and things along that line.

I exercise everyday for an hour if I can, sometimes a little more if I'm not too tired.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Sample diet:

Breakfast: Bowl of Quaker oats with half banana, strawberries or blueberries. Or bowl of raisin bran with scoop of protein powder. Half grapefruit.

Snack: Trader Joes raw mixed nuts OR Apple butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat toast OR cottage cheese with almond slivers or blueberries.

Lunch: Chunk light tuna sandwich with kidney beans and corn on whole wheat bread OR raw baby spinich or broccoli and brown rice and grilled chicken breast.

Snack: Same snack as above.

Dinner: Grilled chicken breast or lean meat with brown rice or yams and fresh broccoli or spinich.

Dessert: cottage cheese with almond slivers and fruit (strawberries, banana or blueberries).

Snack: Trader Joes raw mixed nuts, other half of grapefruit from breakfast.
Is it okay to change the chicken up with fish as well? Is pork okay too, as in a pork chop? I know red meat is bad for you, or at least you shouldn't consume a lot of it.

I saw you said coffee, I can't stand coffee, don't like the taste of it at all. Is there anything to substitute for it that would give me the same, orange juice perhaps?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Another thing, is it okay to occasionally have the "bad" food as long as you eat it in moderation or would that just be trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss