Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 16,278 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of these notes and I am still confused and frustrated. I want or I should say that I need to lose weight.

I am 47 years old and weight about 197 pounds; and I stand very tall at 5’8”. Before having my last child 15 years ago I weighed in at 135 pounds and felt so good. Now I am having back, shoulders, and all over pain and problems.

You can say I am healthy expect for the weight. I carry the weight very well, I have been told this many times. People can’t believe it when I tell them that I weigh 197.

I have been on so many diets and I am still trying to fond one that will work for me. Back in the early 90’s I did go on the Weight Watchers and did great there. I tired back but still nothing. I have found that my biggest problem is I need things written out for me. This way I can go day by day with the items listed on a plan and exercises. If I can’t do this or that or if I don’t have a particular food product I can look it up in the back of a book.

Then once I start to lose the weight it would be wonderful. I guess the problem also is getting motivated enough to do this. A new year is coming and I want to start now.

So if someone can point me in the right direction I WOULD be very thankful and so would my family.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:41 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,708,256 times
PPL who I know had to lose weight do low to no carb diets and they work great. Carbs are completely useless in the diet (except fruits/veggies). Your body DOES NOT need carbs for fuel. If you go into Ketosis (where your body uses its own fat for fuel) you will have more consistent energy and the weight will come off. You need to eat a lot of essential fats though. I would also advise doing regular exercise. Look into low carb or keto diets to see what they involve.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,304,956 times
^^^ You do need carbs though if you are working out and/or very active. The low carb diet is ideal for those who are sedentary and dont do enough activity to put the body into burning reserves.

Low carb diets that are very low or none at all need to be over seen by a doctor to check your liver function and kidney status. Long term low/no carb can cause damage that you have to watch for.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:11 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,708,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
^^^ You do need carbs though if you are working out and/or very active. The low carb diet is ideal for those who are sedentary and dont do enough activity to put the body into burning reserves.

Low carb diets that are very low or none at all need to be over seen by a doctor to check your liver function and kidney status. Long term low/no carb can cause damage that you have to watch for.

Actually I workout on a regular basis and my body no longer uses/needs carbs for energy. I am thin naturally but cut out carbs because they made me bloated and are useless (except vegtables, fruit). I would only eat carbs if I needed to gain weight.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:15 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,304,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Actually I workout on a regular basis and my body no longer uses/needs carbs for energy. I am thin naturally but cut out carbs because they made me bloated and are useless (except vegtables, fruit). I would only eat carbs if I needed to gain weight.
How many carbs a day do you get out of your fruit and veggies?
You want to make sure you are getting enough.

I agree 100% processed carbs are not needed. AT ALL.

I get sick after being low carb for too long. I guess I would call it extreme low carb. Under 20 more than 1 week and I just want to die. I get very dehydrated on it.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 PM

9,631 posts, read 821,566 times
First of all, you should stop eating after 6 p.m. eat 4-5 times a day but a small portion.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:39 PM

591 posts, read 665,144 times
Default best type of diet

Everyone needs a well balanced diet. Yes, carbs are o.k. in moderation. You need 5 out of the bread groups...like rice, bread, pasta etc. 3 fruits a day, 2-3 veg a day. 2 from the milk group...like cottage cheese, milk etc.
You also need to have 2 fats...peanut butter, bacon (2), oil for cooking etc. EXERCISE is the main key. Walking 5 days a week to start, 1-2 miles or alternating walking and weights. Good luck, my plan starts tomorrow, I gained 10 lbs of the 45 I lost eight years ago. ladybee

Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,709,420 times
Default I was the same as OP

I had the exact same issues as the OP, and now one year (Jan 4) from my original start the diet day, I am close to having lost 70 lbs. I wrote a blog with all my hints which is not a "diet" but a change of lifestyle that is so easy to do, because it is common sense and NO FADS. I took some of the best things from some of the better "diets" and then also modified some to fit what I felt was better for me. Good luck with your weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss