Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 10:35 PM

1,013 posts, read 609,825 times

Advertisements

I am following the carnivore diet, and the idea is that you should only eat butter and stop all seed oils.

Butter is not the healthiest thing, but it is at least natural. Seed oils are not, and your body goes into a tizzy trying to process them.

Fat on its own is not harmful. It's when you combine fat with sugar that you get in trouble. That causes the process called "glycation"(look it up) and causes your aforementioned high cholesterol.

Trans fats are found in deep fried foods and basically any processed food. If it came out of a factory, it should not go in your body.

Hope it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2024, 11:48 PM

62,245 posts, read 88,136,454 times
True, Mediterranean diet is definitely healthier if you think about the fresh salads and fruits.
But that's not all what they eat, and what they eat isn't the only reason that they are healthier. It's the quality of food and their lifestyle.
And except for Italians, people living in Mediterranean areas aren't slim at all...
So, obviously they eat other things than salads .

Here is an interesting article:
https://www.tiltedmap.com/how-italians-stay-thin/

Follow the recommendations for a while and see if it makes any difference - cholesterol and weight. Not to the dot, but generally that's how I eat.

To me - snacking between meals kills any diet. I grow up with no snacking and I am not missing it at all.
As pointed out in this article - snacks between meals are only given to little babies but totally stopped with toddler age.

Last edited by elnina; Yesterday at 12:16 AM..

Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM

30,959 posts, read 19,557,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I recently took blood test/physical, and have high cholesterol.

Dietician told me to stop using soybean/canola oil, and butter. Use corn oil or safflower oil. But that is where it gets confusing. On my veg oil bottle, it says ZERO CHOLESTEROL, 0 trans fats. It has polysaturated fats though. The corn oil bottles at the super market.

So is cholesterol just trans fats? But if so, then soybean oil, and Canola have zero trans fats and cholesterol. Are they therefore not safe to use or is safe to use? Dietician tells me otherwise though.

Are fats on pork and steak, trans fats then? Also I was told carbohydrates make people fat, but it is a sugar, and my sugar is levels are fine. They are below pre-diabetes level. So I must just be eating too much trans fats.

There are many studies that show you don't want low cholesterol. This study of 12.8 million Koreans, the optimal cholesterol was in the 230-240 range. The lower your cholesterol was below that number, the shorter your lifespan.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6367420/

I've watched videos that among the different types of LDL cholesterol, some are not bad (large particle) and some are bad (Small particle). I plan on getting a comprehensive blood test some time this month to check my levels and I consider my cholesterol too low.

I don't think that Dietician has a clue if they're telling you to avoid butter and use corn oil, that's crazy IMO. I'm sure they are telling you to do what they've been taught but what they teach has given the entire country obesity, disease, and shortened lifespan.

I have been on a "Carnivore Diet" the last 3 months or so and I feel great and have lost all the fat on my stomach and body and bulked up and am much stronger while having lost the excess fat.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM

12,277 posts, read 6,422,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I recently took blood test/physical, and have high cholesterol.

Dietician told me to stop using soybean/canola oil, and butter. Use corn oil or safflower oil. But that is where it gets confusing. On my veg oil bottle, it says ZERO CHOLESTEROL, 0 trans fats. It has polysaturated fats though. The corn oil bottles at the super market.

So is cholesterol just trans fats? But if so, then soybean oil, and Canola have zero trans fats and cholesterol. Are they therefore not safe to use or is safe to use? Dietician tells me otherwise though.

Are fats on pork and steak, trans fats then? Also I was told carbohydrates make people fat, but it is a sugar, and my sugar is levels are fine. They are below pre-diabetes level. So I must just be eating too much trans fats.

You have to decide for yourself and do your own due diligence, but many people are coming to the conclusion that formal medical education on cholesterol is erroneous and that many doctors are giving bad advice regarding cholesterol due to their poor training.

I tend to believe the Doctors are wrong, but who knows? I mean, only an idiot would contradict a highly educated professional, right?

Like I said, you have to make up your own mind, but many people have concluded that DIETARY cholesterol is not what causes an increase in your blood cholesterol. Regulated by your liver, it is far more complicated than "I ate cholesterol and so my blood has more than before.

Beyond that, corn oil and safflower oil are BAD FOR YOU. Many people think organic butter is more healthy for you.

The jist of the video below is that eating cholesterol does not mean an increase in blood cholesterol. The other aspect of the video below is that increased overall cholesterol is not necessarily a bad things. It is way more complicated regarding HDL/LDL ratio and particle size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY48qLl9ZzE

Old Yesterday, 03:04 AM

12,277 posts, read 6,422,728 times
Transcript of the start of the video above.

"The way we have been understanding and dealing with cholesterol during the last 50 years is one of the greatest health disasters of all time. There is this huge fear factor about cholesterol. People are changing lifestyles, and they are getting healthier, they are losing weight, they are feeling better.

"All their health markers are improving except one. Their doctors still scare them into abandoning their healthy liftestyle and reverting to a low-fat diet because one marker, LDL cholesterol, is too high in their opinion.

"And this is all because we have bought into the idea, without any good evidence, that LDL cholesterol is bad cholesterol."

Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM

3,368 posts, read 9,232,844 times
Long ago, my husband was seeing a neurosurgeon at the Cleveland Clinic, who like most doctors focused on his weight. This was around 2004/5 and I was feeding us a carnivore diet, heavy with fat due to my diabetes. We were avoiding most carbs and processed foods. Our fats were butter and olive oil.

That neurosurgeon told him there was NO WAY he could have normal cholesterol (my high cholesterol was genetic and was on a statin). Anyway, he ordered a lipid test. Hubby passed it with flying colors annoying the hell out of the neurosurgeon.

It’s not fat that causes high cholesterol, it either genetics (in my case) or a combination of fat AND carbs, especially processed carbs.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

1,408 posts, read 755,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
You have to decide for yourself and do your own due diligence, but many people are coming to the conclusion that formal medical education on cholesterol is erroneous and that many doctors are giving bad advice regarding cholesterol due to their poor training.

I tend to believe the Doctors are wrong, but who knows? I mean, only an idiot would contradict a highly educated professional, right?

Like I said, you have to make up your own mind, but many people have concluded that DIETARY cholesterol is not what causes an increase in your blood cholesterol. Regulated by your liver, it is far more complicated than "I ate cholesterol and so my blood has more than before.

Beyond that, corn oil and safflower oil are BAD FOR YOU. Many people think organic butter is more healthy for you.

The jist of the video below is that eating cholesterol does not mean an increase in blood cholesterol. The other aspect of the video below is that increased overall cholesterol is not necessarily a bad things. It is way more complicated regarding HDL/LDL ratio and particle size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY48qLl9ZzE
Yes.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

11,012 posts, read 7,558,064 times
My husband saw his doctor today, who advised him to give up red meat to improve his cholesterol. Guy totally ignored my husband's confession of eating too many potato chips and junk food. Wants to put him on statins. Huge poster of "My Plate" on the wall. Sigh.

I didn't challenge him; we were there to get his advice (on that and other issues), not impose my opinions on him.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

13,159 posts, read 7,661,924 times
It's the carbohydrates not the fats-oils.
Statins and fenofibrate never worked worked for me and caused years of near unable pain before I figured out the problem.

Fifty years ago, the metabolic pathway for carbohydrate to fat was well known.

Old Today, 08:51 AM

22,045 posts, read 25,404,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
It's the carbohydrates not the fats-oils.
Statins and fenofibrate never worked worked for me and caused years of near unable pain before I figured out the problem.

Fifty years ago, the metabolic pathway for carbohydrate to fat was well known.
As was the metabolic pathway of protein and fat to fat. Fat goes to fat even more readily since it gets broken down to amino acids and it's easier for the body to use amino acids for storing as triglycerides than it is to synthesize triglycerides out of glucose. Nonetheless, overeat anything and it gets stored as fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss