Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 07:49 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,528,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I think eating a very low-carb diet is very healthy for many people who do so.

But I see this trend of people eating low-carb, then doing things like adding butter to their coffee or slathering their steaks with sour-cream......I really do not think this is necessary and in many cases is not healthy.
Well, I read ''Keto Clarity''...I get why it works, now...like Eskimos
eating blubber ---pure FAT and they never have heart issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 08:35 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,387,984 times
I don't know who told you that carbohydrates make you fat?

My guy (and his whole family) eats or ate rice and beans every day, and no one is fat. Meat is a side-dish to the rice and beans. His mom passed at 96 and was never even overweight.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes are healthy, just don't coat them with butter and sauces.

We eat apples, blueberries, strawberries, and bananas almost every day.

We eat some shrimp, salmon, scallops, haddock, tuna.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:20 PM

25,760 posts, read 17,520,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I don't know who told you that carbohydrates make you fat?

My guy (and his whole family) eats or ate rice and beans every day, and no one is fat. Meat is a side-dish to the rice and beans. His mom passed at 96 and was never even overweight.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes are healthy, just don't coat them with butter and sauces.

We eat apples, blueberries, strawberries, and bananas almost every day.

We eat some shrimp, salmon, scallops, haddock, tuna.
The people you know find satiety in their diet, and that protects them protects them.
True carbohydrate addicts - and there are millions of them in America - never find satiety in what they eat. So they eat more, usually more carbohydrates in the form of processed sugar or corn syrup or some other manufactured item.

Notice everything you list is a single ingredient dish, as opposed to a manufactured food, like Corn Flakes.

That habit is saving the people you love. You can live off rice and beans. You can live off steak and eggs. You can't live off Snickers.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:00 PM

1,114 posts, read 661,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I recently took blood test/physical, and have high cholesterol.

Dietician told me to stop using soybean/canola oil, and butter. Use corn oil or safflower oil. But that is where it gets confusing. On my veg oil bottle, it says ZERO CHOLESTEROL, 0 trans fats. It has polysaturated fats though. The corn oil bottles at the super market.

So is cholesterol just trans fats? But if so, then soybean oil, and Canola have zero trans fats and cholesterol. Are they therefore not safe to use or is safe to use? Dietician tells me otherwise though.

Are fats on pork and steak, trans fats then? Also I was told carbohydrates make people fat, but it is a sugar, and my sugar is levels are fine. They are below pre-diabetes level. So I must just be eating too much trans fats.
It's complicated, isn't it? Anyone w/ high cholesterol (me) should keep sweets and saturated fat intake to a bare minimum. Use olive oil, eat whole foods and vegetables, plenty of fruit, and fish like broiled or baked Salmon, Cod, etc.

Too much fruit can cause weight gain, you have to keep an eye on calories. Avoid red meat, eat baked chicken, avoid cheese, red grapefruit are tasty and need no sweetening. Broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower are low calorie/high nutrition foods. Watch out for bread, I don't eat it at all anymore because it has too many calories. Processed foods should be totally avoided. The only milk I use is in my morning coffee. Nuts are nutritious and have the healthy oils but they pack a lot of calories, you need to be frugal w/ them. Oatmeal w/ a little honey, and chopped up ginger and banana is an excellent breakfast or anytime food.

Yes, it requires dedication, but most of what I recommended can be made very tasty w/ a little bit of Louisiana Hot Sauce or other spices. Walmart has frozen pink Salmon w/ the skin on (the healthy sort of fat) for a great price. It's as healthy and tasty as red salmon, but a lot cheaper. It's cut up into individual 4 oz servings. All you need to do is thaw it out in the fridge, put La. hot sauce on it, sprinkle it w/ black pepper and put it under a broiler in your stove for about 6 minutes. Serve it up w/ a fresh salad and horseradish sauce, you have a great meal for cheap and about 200 calories (watch the salad dressing). Better to break your meals into 4 or 5 a day vs 3, that way you don't get hungry in between and start looking for sweets.

Old 10-04-2023, 06:02 PM

547 posts, read 348,731 times
cut the sugar/cheap carbs -- they correlate with chol

supplements that may help -- niacin, chromium, vanadium, fenugreek, selenium

butter, real butter is a health food. butter is packed with butyrate (that's where butter gets it's name). no way i would cut that out

Old 10-04-2023, 07:06 PM

14,439 posts, read 11,913,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
butter is packed with butyrate (that's where butter gets it's name).
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. The food was called "butter" or a similar word in various languages a couple of thousand years before anyone knew what butyrate was.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:00 PM

62,245 posts, read 88,136,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
cut the sugar/cheap carbs -- they correlate with chol

supplements that may help -- niacin, chromium, vanadium, fenugreek, selenium

butter, real butter is a health food. butter is packed with butyrate (that's where butter gets it's name). no way i would cut that out
Nope. Butyrate name comes from butter, not the other way around.

Butyrate comes from the Latin butyrum, meaning butter. Why butter? Well, butter is the most common butyrate food source. However, it's also not the best way to increase butyrate in your body, so don't just go slathering your toast in butter, because it won't work.

Old 10-19-2023, 12:57 PM

534 posts, read 256,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, I read ''Keto Clarity''...I get why it works, now...like Eskimos
eating blubber ---pure FAT and they never have heart issues.
The "Inuit Paradox" was based on very shaky evidence and is likely a myth:
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_f...pFile/file.pdf

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...647?via%3Dihub

Last edited by Hearthcrafter; 10-19-2023 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-23-2023, 02:56 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,640,512 times
My cholesterol lowered on a all meat diet and lost 20 pounds. I heard remnant cholesterol matters and triglycerides.there is a formula to find remnant cholesterol. I put butter on my steak. Seed oils that are not natural are not good like canola oil or soy bean . Olive oil is a good oil .vegetable oil is no good.

I ate fatty meat like steak and sometimes bacon.

Old 06-09-2024, 06:19 PM

7,169 posts, read 12,751,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yep, this is the best diet for preventing heart disease, diabetes and hypertension. Helps us maintain a healthy weight (or lose if overweight)

There's a well-regarded study that proves this...the Predimed Study. Google it and see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss