Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 07:27 AM

11,443 posts, read 634,842 times

Advertisements

I cant believe all the bickering i'm seeing on this thread..... This is a good topic and we are all arguing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 11:18 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,434,528 times
This guy ate 100g of sugar a day for a year and LOST 30 lbs Hmmm But yeah sugar causes obesity!! Right?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YdBfR299s

Last edited by Diesel350z; 12-19-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 11:27 AM

13,211 posts, read 7,724,926 times
OP's time will come when that bag of sugar hits him.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:46 PM

530 posts, read 177,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
OP's time will come when that bag of sugar hits him.
I'm not surprised that a young male bodybuilder/physique coach had this result; I'd like to see average middle-aged people try this stunt and see how well it works out for them.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:51 PM

6,345 posts, read 4,272,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
I cant believe all the bickering i'm seeing on this thread..... This is a good topic and we are all arguing...
Some people have to win at all cost

Old 12-19-2019, 02:09 PM

48,726 posts, read 35,347,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
I'm not surprised that a young male bodybuilder/physique coach had this result; I'd like to see average middle-aged people try this stunt and see how well it works out for them.
Age is a HUGE factor.

I ate like an athletic teenage boy through my 20s. Tons of sugar, bacon, mac salad, rice anything and everything I wanted. I never broke 100 lbs.

Fast forward to my 50s..... eat a little rice and my blood sugar spikes, look at bacon put on 5 lbs... etc.

I do not eat a lot of sugar now, no soda... I may make almond flour brownies with stevia or something, but hardly any sugar, except for the holidays. All my breads are with sprouted grains.

Still in general, eat smaller portions, eat whole foods, do things in moderation, eat nutrient dense foods, do not eat processed foods, do not drink calories, blah blah.

Despite having to eat out a ton for the past month and half, and it being the holidays, and drinking my fair share holiday *cheer* I've managed not to put on any weight. We still made to the gym a few times, but I think it's the shivering that is burning the most calories.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
And this is why context and dosage are important instead of demonizing sugar and carbs with blanket statements.

A 180lb athlete would have no problems with a 3000 calorie, 350g carb 100g of sugar diet but give that same diet to a 300lb individual with no activity levels and that person most likely will run into problems.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:09 PM

3,603 posts, read 2,603,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
And this is why context and dosage are important instead of demonizing sugar and carbs with blanket statements.

A 180lb athlete would have no problems with a 3000 calorie, 350g carb 100g of sugar diet but give that same diet to a 300lb individual with no activity levels and that person most likely will run into problems.
He might have no problem with it, with regards to his weight. But he will certainly pay for it at some point if he keeps it up, with regards to his overall health.

The carbohydrate called "sugar" is not harmful by itself, for most people. But too much sugar IS absolutely positively unhealthful and can be dangerous, to anyone. It depends on what "too much" is, for each individual. There is a point at which you will suffer. Whether diabetes, a stroke, heart condition, or an old fashioned stomach ache - there is definitely such a thing as "too much sugar."

Putting all your emphasis on weight alone is pointless and dangerous. Afterall, if you really wanted to lose weight and didn't care about the rest of your health, you could just stop eating completely. You're guaranteed to lose weight. You'll die of malnutrition, but you'll be a right svelte corpse.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
He might have no problem with it, with regards to his weight. But he will certainly pay for it at some point if he keeps it up, with regards to his overall health.
The research has already shown that active individuals such as himself can consume 100g of sugar a day and have no change in health markers. I don't believe that long term sugar consumption at that level would be a health issue. But if you could come up with some convincing evidence I would change my mind.

How would you explain the cultures in tropical climates thriving on diets of up to 90% carbohydrates?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16794446

These cultures rely on sugary fruits. In fact, honey is the favorite food of the Hadza from Tanzania.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19350623

Quote:
The carbohydrate called "sugar" is not harmful by itself, for most people. But too much sugar IS absolutely positively unhealthful and can be dangerous, to anyone. It depends on what "too much" is, for each individual.
Define too much? Based on scientific evidence the upper limit from the conservative camp is a max of 40 grams of sugar for the general population and 100 grams of sugar for active healthy individuals.

Quote:
There is a point at which you will suffer. Whether diabetes, a stroke, heart condition, or an old fashioned stomach ache - there is definitely such a thing as "too much sugar."
Yes, there is a point where too much sugar is a problem, no one is saying it can become a problem. Usually when people are having the issues you mentioned it's accompanied by excess consumption of calories combined with inactivity.

Quote:
Putting all your emphasis on weight alone is pointless and dangerous. Afterall, if you really wanted to lose weight and didn't care about the rest of your health, you could just stop eating completely. You're guaranteed to lose weight. You'll die of malnutrition, but you'll be a right svelte corpse.
Nobody is advocating that excess consumption of carbs and sugar alone is good. At the end of the day if you eat a well balanced diet with fruits/veggies, whole foods, protein, and fiber you can still have carbs and sugar in your diet as long as you keep your consumption within moderation and still live a healthy life.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:39 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,185,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
This guy ate 100g of sugar a day for a year and LOST 30 lbs Hmmm But yeah sugar causes obesity!! Right?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YdBfR299s
He looks pretty buff and exercises a lot probably. He may not be fat, what about his organ health, his gut flora health.

But anyhow, this thread is meant with the idea of all else being equal.

So if you compare this buff chiseled dude with another buff chiseled dude, who be healthier: the one who eats sugar, or the one who doesnt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss