Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 09:52 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Like Rialese and Lucky, I exercise strenuously. One hour, 150 bpm or higher, drenched in sweat (of course it's a high humidity area). Then things like bike rides with dog, hiking, paddle boarding, etc.

I genuinely like vegs and grains, always have since a child.

My diet is not centered so much around losing weight (though I would like to dump 5 lbs or so), my health is more of a consideration. While my husband prefers a more protein based diet - too much keto causes my autoimmune conditions to flare horribly. I need all those amazing micronutrients found in whole foods (not meat).

I still haven't been able to figure out why I was coming in pre-diabetic (testing has shown almost no spikes since), though my protein may have been too low, I've upped it a tad in consideration of DH.
Yeah, you probably need more protein. I had gestational diabetes, and what worked was eating some type of protein with just about every meal to mitigate any spikes. The diabetes disappeared so I stopped eating protein with EVERY snack/meal. My husband is similar to yours, though he does like carbs and won't drop them. For him, I suggested eating meat, cheese, eggs more regularly (he doesn't like soy or vegetable protein much). For example, he'll eat a tortilla with turkey sausage, that type of thing). He's dropping at a decent rate (1 lb per week).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I am in a Facebook group with a bunch of mostly my cousin's friends of people aiming to get healthier this year.

Many of them, including her, are doing keto. For me, I do not feel great without sufficient carbs. I am still playing around with "sufficient." I did a test as part of the diagnosis process with my naturopath, and it was interesting to review the results. Apparently I have genes that like more carbs and less fats.

I know I do not feel satiated when I haven't had enough carbs, so it'll be interesting to test out their recommendations. I have been eating a bit more fat this year compared to years past.

I am aiming to sort out my health problems and lose some weight as I head into 40, but to be honest it wasn't because I was feeling bad. My cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure are excellent. I have good energy, but my sleeping had been off. And I was coming out of a really stressful year. But I still have some lingering symptoms of digestion issues, skin issues and menstrual issues (that maybe related to my hashimoto's).

I also realized I was doing less activity that I used to, since I wasn't prioritizing it. And I sleep way better when I get in some exercise regularly.

I also has A1C levels that were straddling the lowest end of pre-diabetes last year. My doctor wasn't uber concerned as she mentioned sometimes higher blood sugar is a symptom of hypothyroidism and my fasting numbers were fine. So we agreed to just monitor moving forward. My recent tests showed improvement on that front.

I am making some progress, and I really hope to have a good handle on things as I head into 40!

Old 11-07-2017, 10:26 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I've noticed a huge difference in how I "feel" when I travel. While we don't eat fast food, just eating at restaurants that serve typical food, I start to feel unwell. I changed it to eating at vegetarian places, or Trader Joe's, and the like and I feel much better. I need whole foods, and mainly vegetables. Mom and Pop restaurants are better, no chains.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-07-2017, 10:43 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
the best way for you. Its great that you have achieved great success with this type of eating, but we are all different and there is no, 'one size fits all' to eating and dieting.
The best way to eat is the one that leads to health and one that you can sustain for life - whatever plan that might be.

I agree. To be fair, Peachsalsa post is 52, read that to understand why I used Lucky as a quote, and agreed..

My Father in Law did the Atdkin's diet back in late 80's. The lack of salt almost killed him, his words.

I do believe each of us are different, and minerals, vitamins, etc...affect us in different ways.

As example, my wife woke up on an Operating table (4 doctors) cutting out her wisdom teeth when she was 17.
Who wakes up on an Operating table? After thinking about that, the mix of drugs they gave her didn't work for...her. Maybe most all other people, but not her. I had to look it up and read this is uncommon, but not unheard of. Same with food, and how it affects each human/mammals body. imho.

Last edited by TerraDown; 11-07-2017 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-07-2017, 10:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
I've noticed a huge difference in how I "feel" when I travel. While we don't eat fast food, just eating at restaurants that serve typical food, I start to feel unwell. I changed it to eating at vegetarian places, or Trader Joe's, and the like and I feel much better. I need whole foods, and mainly vegetables. Mom and Pop restaurants are better, no chains.
Me too! Travel in the wrong place and I realize I am not getting nearly enough produce!

Old 11-07-2017, 11:48 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
Since starting Keto,

For those living in CA

El Pollo Loco has a 3 piece chicken meal with steamed broccoli, throw out tortillas or make them your 20 carbs for the day

Went out to eat at Claim Jumper and picked steak with sauteed veggies and sauteed green beans, and had 1 slice of their cheesy bread

Both of these hit the mark for keto plans

I don't recall how to order hamburgers with no bun at InNOut but I will be doing that soon enough.

It would be interesting to see other people on Keto chime in what/where they eat out when they are out and about?

Starting off my day intermittent fasting with just a cup of coffee and some creamer........feeling good.....plan to eat some eggs and bacon for lunch.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:31 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Since starting Keto,

For those living in CA

El Pollo Loco has a 3 piece chicken meal with steamed broccoli, throw out tortillas or make them your 20 carbs for the day

Went out to eat at Claim Jumper and picked steak with sauteed veggies and sauteed green beans, and had 1 slice of their cheesy bread

Both of these hit the mark for keto plans

I don't recall how to order hamburgers with no bun at InNOut but I will be doing that soon enough.

It would be interesting to see other people on Keto chime in what/where they eat out when they are out and about?

Starting off my day intermittent fasting with just a cup of coffee and some creamer........feeling good.....plan to eat some eggs and bacon for lunch.
It's called "Protein Style" at InNOut for your burger on a lettuce bun. I've had it and it's good.

As to the way to eat out, for me it's easy. I just avoid any flour, sugar, rice, corn and potatoes. I do however do it as you mentioned I may have one or two corn tortillas with a meal as part of my daily allowance for carbs. I eat in more than I eat out. I am not that strict on keto however, so I may go up to 50g a day. I also do small amounts of low carb fruits such as berries, plums, kiwi, watermelon etc. I will also do whole milk Greek yogurt with ground flax sweetened with Stevia and some fruit. It's much easier to decide on what NOT to eat as opposed to decide on WHAT to eat when eating out. I sometimes do 4 days out of a week on IF on a 20/4 schedule along with the LC/Keto. I've gotten quite used to it, it's like 2nd nature after 3 years now. Even when I cheat and decide to eat a burger with a bun or pizza with the crust, I really don't like it as I've become conditioned.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:48 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's called "Protein Style" at InNOut for your burger on a lettuce bun. I've had it and it's good.

As to the way to eat out, for me it's easy. I just avoid any flour, sugar, rice, corn and potatoes. I do however do it as you mentioned I may have one or two corn tortillas with a meal as part of my daily allowance for carbs. I eat in more than I eat out. I am not that strict on keto however, so I may go up to 50g a day. I also do small amounts of low carb fruits such as berries, plums, kiwi, watermelon etc. I will also do whole milk Greek yogurt with ground flax sweetened with Stevia and some fruit. It's much easier to decide on what NOT to eat as opposed to decide on WHAT to eat when eating out. I sometimes do 4 days out of a week on IF on a 20/4 schedule along with the LC/Keto. I've gotten quite used to it, it's like 2nd nature after 3 years now. Even when I cheat and decide to eat a burger with a bun or pizza with the crust, I really don't like it as I've become conditioned.
I find it every easy to eat out on Keto. Love my In-and-Out double protein style. I do not miss the sawdust tasting bun. For Mexican, I just get fajitas with no beans/rice with extra guac. Rosa's in Texas is very accommodating.

On keto, there are just some things you don't eat and that is that. No biggie. If you cheat? So what, get back on the program the next day. Just don't do it frequently. As far as pizza, I (and my non-Keto husband) prefer a Fathead pizza over something from a restaurant.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:44 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
But you ate a slice of white bread, when I did keto there was no bread involved.

As i understand it, you can't go into ketosis that way.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-07-2017, 02:06 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
But you ate a slice of white bread, when I did keto there was no bread involved.

As i understand it, you can't go into ketosis that way.
For some (including me) it may not be true ketosis. It is a bit extreme as to the number of carbs you can consume, usually 20g or less per day. At least that is the way I see it. The general idea is to "force" your body to use stored fat as fuel instead of glycogen you get from the food you consume. I follow a LC diet to maintain weight and health, not necessarily to keep losing, so I am more liberal with my carbs. That's just me of course. This is why there should not be too much protein in a true Keto diet. The body will convert some of that protein to glycogen and will leave stored fat alone.

Some people say they have achieved Ketosis on 50g or more per day. Personally I have never tested for ketones. Just never bothered and I am not that dedicated. I prefer to just call it low carb.

How Many Carbs per Day on a Low-Carb Ketogenic Diet?
HOW MANY CARBS SHOULD YOU EAT ON A KETOGENIC DIET?

If you exercise on Keto that will change the outcome for sure. You will burn your glycogen stores quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss