Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 06:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You're right, it's not Keto. Keto is high fat, moderate protein, and what you're eating is very high protein. In fact it sounds exactly like Atkins, not sure why you say it's not?

On Keto, you'd have less protein and more fat. In fact it's almost impossible to do Keto without including some non-protein fats like avocado, nuts, olives and olive oil, coconut oil, butter, heavy cream, etc. If you get all your fat from protein sources (as you indicate you're doing), you throw the balance all out of whack and will never go into ketosis.

If you really want to do Keto, you need to get an app or use a calculator to ensure you're getting substantially more fat than protein. But if what you're doing now is working for you, keep on trucking.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am struggling with eating moderate/high protein, high fat, and low carbs. The lack of carbs is really difficult for me, especially the sleeping issues. I miss the taste too.

I did good for dinner just ate 4 eggs and 6 sausages. I am going to eat through my keto/Atkins supplies and then assess how well I did and go from there.

If nothing else I will going forward restrict my carbs I just don't know if I can go almost no carb because my sleep is much better with carbs.

Keep up the good work everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 06:46 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If you get all your fat from protein sources (as you indicate you're doing), you throw the balance all out of whack and will never go into ketosis.
To get into ketosis, all one has to do is keep carbs under 20g a day. People should use a reliable keto calculator to figure out their macros. https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ is what I use. Set to sedentary (I do not eat back exercise/activity calories), choose 0.8g protein per lean weight, set a sustainable deficit to lose weight, and start.

Carbs are a limit. Do not go over.
Protein is a goal. People should eat the suggested amount of protein daily.
Fat is a limit and is to be used for satiety. If one has met their protein goal and is still hungry, they should eat something fatty. Going over a little on the protein macro won't matter, but if way too much protein is eaten, excess protein can be turned into glucose by the body.

Ratios of carbs to protein to fat do not matter. Only grams matter.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:50 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I am struggling with eating moderate/high protein, high fat, and low carbs. The lack of carbs is really difficult for me, especially the sleeping issues. I miss the taste too.

I did good for dinner just ate 4 eggs and 6 sausages. I am going to eat through my keto/Atkins supplies and then assess how well I did and go from there.

If nothing else I will going forward restrict my carbs I just don't know if I can go almost no carb because my sleep is much better with carbs.

Listen I don't want to discourage you so I'm sorry. It's pretty well known here that I'm not into diets like Keto, even with the promise of fat burning. It's not easy, despite what some think. No diet plan is truly easy. Only you know yourself and your limits. I knew mine and that's why I just don't do diets that make me eliminate food groups, including fat. I eat fat and meat too. Maybe instead of eliminating or eating low carb eat moderate carb moderate protein and moderate fat instead of forcing yourself to be limited to two macros?

Old 11-11-2017, 08:26 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Listen I don't want to discourage you so I'm sorry. It's pretty well known here that I'm not into diets like Keto, even with the promise of fat burning. It's not easy, despite what some think. No diet plan is truly easy. Only you know yourself and your limits. I knew mine and that's why I just don't do diets that make me eliminate food groups, including fat. I eat fat and meat too. Maybe instead of eliminating or eating low carb eat moderate carb moderate protein and moderate fat instead of forcing yourself to be limited to two macros?
Thanks I may have to go that route moderate protein, fats, and carbs and keep it at 1600 calories per day. I still believe more than anything restricting calories figures for most of the weight loss than eating almost no carbs. What's been the most helpful was realizing how many carbs/sugar I was eating before and that's what led to me gain 20 lbs. in 6 months. Now I effectively eating low carbs much higher than 5% on keto probably more like 20% carbs and I feel good and can sleep. I have lost 4 lbs. in about a week so far and haven't been that strict on eating plan so I feel pretty good about that. I can imagine if I were following an eating plan strictly I would probably be down 5-8 lbs.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:34 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
It's true that some people go to sleep more easily if they have a carb snack before retiring; you might consider saving part of your daily carb allotment for bedtime.
I don't have that problem but if I did, I'd probably have a handful of almonds or walnuts and a cup of herbal tea. The nuts would provide 6-10 total carbs but only 4-5 net carbs, along with some protein and healthy fat.
Quote:
Certain foods contain an amino acid called tryptophan that causes sleepiness. Carbohydrates make tryptophan more available to the brain, which is why carbohydrate-heavy meals can make you drowsy. Proteins from the food we eat are the building blocks of tryptophan, which is why the best bedtime snack is one that contains both a carbohydrate and protein, such as cereal with milk, peanut butter on toast, or cheese and crackers.
https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/food-and-sleep

Old 11-12-2017, 12:03 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Thanks I may have to go that route moderate protein, fats, and carbs and keep it at 1600 calories per day. I still believe more than anything restricting calories figures for most of the weight loss than eating almost no carbs. What's been the most helpful was realizing how many carbs/sugar I was eating before and that's what led to me gain 20 lbs. in 6 months. Now I effectively eating low carbs much higher than 5% on keto probably more like 20% carbs and I feel good and can sleep. I have lost 4 lbs. in about a week so far and haven't been that strict on eating plan so I feel pretty good about that. I can imagine if I were following an eating plan strictly I would probably be down 5-8 lbs.
Restricting calories is the only way weight comes off, you just have to decide what works best for you. If restricting carbs makes it easier to restrict calories than that is what you should do. Fat makes you feel fuller for longer periods of times and that really is the key for lots of people.
I am like riaelise where I choose not to opt out of any food groups. Low carb eating - Atkins type diets have been failures for me. I just don't do good with carb restriction in my diet.
Everyone is different and the only way to succeed is to find what works best for you no matter what anyone else says. There is no 'best' or 'one way' to go about it.
If you are losing 1 to 2 pounds a week you are doing everything right. Weight should not come off any faster than that. Some weeks it may be 3 pounds and the next week may be .5 pounds. Weight loss is not linear, and cannot be rushed if you want to lose it permanently.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:31 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:

Teckee, you sound like you and my husband are in the same boat.

Do you have a fitness tracking app like Lose It/Fitness Pal? If not, download one. Find out how many calories you should be eating to lose 1/2, 1, 2 lbs per week. As a guy, you are naturally allowed to consume more than me as a woman.

Now that you have your caloric budget, try and craft your day food wise based on your hunger patterns. Some people work well consuming six times per day. Others prefer to eat three high calorie meals per day, with two lighter snacks.

You may benefit from having protein with your meals three times per day. I personally would stick to leaner meats. Carbs rich in fiber WILL fill you up. For carbs, I try to maintain a ratio of 4:1, four complex carbs to every simple carb. So maybe pair your protein up with a small baked potato with skin on, whole grain pasta that has a good fiber content, red potatoes, rice and beans (very filling), etc. For starches, I consume no more than 1 cup, max. Try and get plenty of vegetables to round out your plate. For the simple carbs, there's no reason not to indulge in a small serving of a sugary food. You can try the "diet" novelties (I like Skinny Cow and frozen Greek yogurt) or the non-diet stuff.

What I've found, Teckee, is that it does all come down to how many calories you consume. Not fat grams, protein grams, carb grams. I eat probably over 200 grams of carbs daily and HAVE NOT REGAINED ANY WEIGHT WHATSOEVER. I've lost weight. I gain weight when I overconsume over a sustained period of time. Gaining one pound after a big meal doesn't count - you'll pee and poop that out within a week. I believe weight is never static. People get bent out of shape if they get on the scale and notice a pound increase. when you worry is when you see the weight creeping up over time. Fat does make you feel full, so that's why I don't believe in cutting it out either. I just try to keep it all in balance. Enough fat for satiety but not to the exclusion of things like beans, fruit, etc.

As far as your workouts go, I think you're on the right track. You don't need to do an hour of cardio. You can do 30-40 minutes of moderate intensity for great benefits.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:24 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
I just want to add that there are a dozen ladies at church that are eating keto and they have been transformed. Happy, losing weight easily, much healthier, great numbers from their doctors, no cravings, not hungry, sharing recipes. Ages 25-60. These were ladies that had been overweight and trying other eating plans for many years with no luck. I'm so happy for them. They are glowing. Keto does work for many people.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:56 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
The Keto diet was brought up at dinner yesterday with friends. One friend is going to start it as her parents both had dementia and she's reading a book now about the keto diet and alzheimers.

I'm basically doing keto as I avoid breads, pastas, white potatoes --- yesterday I had some mashed potatoes, but this is rare.

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource....s-disease.html

Old 11-24-2017, 04:30 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The Keto diet was brought up at dinner yesterday with friends. One friend is going to start it as her parents both had dementia and she's reading a book now about the keto diet and alzheimers.

I'm basically doing keto as I avoid breads, pastas, white potatoes --- yesterday I had some mashed potatoes, but this is rare.

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource....s-disease.html

Yeah, the ketogenic diet that includes gelato, klondike bars, rice crackers, pretzels and all that....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss