Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Refined sugar and carbs.....

When you say carbs, are you talking about simple or complex?

I'm thin and fit, but have autoimmune (various) disease. Keto caused the auto immune to flare up so I could barely walk. I do much better with complex carbs (millet, farro, spelt, etc.) and lots of veggies, herbs, spices and the like. I was going slightly pre diabetic, so I added a little more protein to each meal and I am back in normal range.
Refined sugar and carbs would definitely be simple carbs and a LOT of processed foods contain food additives and hidden sugars. I think what you need to seek is an anti-inflammatory diet. Anything that raises blood sugar and in turn insulin you should stay away from. Complex carbs like the ones you list do not generally raise blood sugar. Processed and packaged foods contain additives that also affect blood sugar. These additives are not classified under any of the macro nutrients, carbs, protein or fats but still affect blood sugar.

Here are some ideas on an anti-inflammatory foods and it's actually a pretty good and informative article.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-2260...tory-diet.html

Here is an example of a couple of food additives, Maltodextrin and Dextrose. These are used as fillers and thickening agents and are very common in packaged foods. Bottled salad dressings come to mind but they seem to be everywhere. The FDA states that they are "generally safe" but they may appear that way but it goes much further than that.
What Are Maltodextrin & Dextrose & Are They Safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 07:40 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Refined sugar and carbs would definitely be simple carbs and a LOT of processed foods contain food additives and hidden sugars. I think what you need to seek is an anti-inflammatory diet. Anything that raises blood sugar and in turn insulin you should stay away from. Processed and packaged foods contain additives that also affect blood sugar. These additives are not classified under any of the macro nutrients, carbs, protein or fats but still affect blood sugar.

Here are some ideas and it's actually a pretty good and informative article.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-2260...tory-diet.html

Here is an example of a couple of food additives, Maltodextrin and Dextrose. These are used as fillers and thickening agents and are very common in packaged foods. Bottled salad dressings come to mind but they seem to be everywhere.
What Are Maltodextrin & Dextrose & Are They Safe?

That's basically my normal diet, but not the fish 3 x a week. I take fish oil to compensate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2017, 06:31 AM

373 posts, read 348,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Just jumped in - lost 90 lbs. - still on it.

General rule of thumb macro : Goal weight = fat, in grams; half that = protein, in grams; carbohydrates under 20 grams.
Adjust accordingly.

I'm 235lbs looking cut some fat while retaining my hard earned muscle so my goal weight is 215 so I should hit 215g of fat a day half that protein and under 25 carbs ?

Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,764,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
I'm 235lbs looking cut some fat while retaining my hard earned muscle so my goal weight is 215 so I should hit 215g of fat a day half that protein and under 25 carbs ?
I sent you a PM for a great keto site.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 PM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Quote:
I'm 235lbs looking cut some fat while retaining my hard earned muscle so my goal weight is 215 so I should hit 215g of fat a day half that protein and under 25 carbs ? [under 20g carbs]
Due to the uniqueness of individuals, there are many different regimens claiming to be successful. I hesitate to advocate anything specific, other than verify that your choice includes less than 20g carbs / day; minimum protein requirement for health (0.8g/kg or 0.36g/lb of target weight), and enough fat to feed your brain. Happy brain, happy you. Hungry brain, crazed binging you. Feed. Brain. Fat.

Variation : calculate minimum protein for your target weight, and then compute your maximum fat intake.
For 215 lbs, minimum protein = 78g. Add 15g carbs. 94g x 4 = 376 calories.
If you were aiming for a 3:1 fat ratio, then your fat intake = 1,128 calories ( divide by 9 to get grams).
(125g / 78g / 15g) F,P,C
If you were aiming for a 4:1 fat ratio, then your fat intake = 1,504 calories (divide by 9 to get grams).
(167g/ 78g / 15g) F,P,C

Ketosis in the Bush
38 Days Of Pemmican – Ketosis In The Winter Bush
- - -

Old 12-05-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Due to the uniqueness of individuals, there are many different regimens claiming to be successful. I hesitate to advocate anything specific, other than verify that your choice includes less than 20g carbs / day; minimum protein requirement for health (0.8g/kg or 0.36g/lb of target weight), and enough fat to feed your brain. Happy brain, happy you. Hungry brain, crazed binging you. Feed. Brain. Fat.

Variation : calculate minimum protein for your target weight, and then compute your maximum fat intake.
For 215 lbs, minimum protein = 78g. Add 15g carbs. 94g x 4 = 376 calories.
If you were aiming for a 3:1 fat ratio, then your fat intake = 1,128 calories ( divide by 9 to get grams).
(125g / 78g / 15g) F,P,C
If you were aiming for a 4:1 fat ratio, then your fat intake = 1,504 calories (divide by 9 to get grams).
(167g/ 78g / 15g) F,P,C

Ketosis in the Bush
38 Days Of Pemmican – Ketosis In The Winter Bush
- - -
I appreciate the help / info . Again as I'm not use to tracking macros . I feel even those numbers are low . Won't my arms shrink to skinny and lose muscle with that low of protein ?

Old 12-06-2017, 09:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
I appreciate the help / info . Again as I'm not use to tracking macros . I feel even those numbers are low . Won't my arms shrink to skinny and lose muscle with that low of protein ?
From my experience and understanding, low carb diets causes water to be released from the muscles. It is water retention that is lost, not actual muscle mass.

Water weight is easy come easy go. This is why it's not that important to focus on the scale but rather inches.

Quote:
It’s very common for those new to low-carbing to lose a significant amount of weight very quickly at the beginning of their carb restriction. We could be talking four pounds, or even ten or twelve, depending on how overweight the person is to begin with. Why is this? Isn’t this a dangerously fast rate of weight loss?
It’s all about the glycogen stores — as it turns out, each gram of glycogen is bound to 3-4 hefty grams of water. So, as your body burns its way through the reduced dietary carbs and into the glycogen stores, the water attached to the glycogen flushes away as well — resulting in the phenomenon commonly known as “water weight.” There’s no fat loss here, yet — the glycogen and accompanying water’s simply been squeezed out of your muscles and liver.
Losing Water Weight: How Carbs Really Work

Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 PM

I'm down 10 pounds in 2 weeks . My stomach is no longer bloated my intestines feel empty and light and overall great . I'm afraid if I ever eat carbs again I'm gonna blow up ?

Old 12-12-2017, 08:13 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
I'm down 10 pounds in 2 weeks . My stomach is no longer bloated my intestines feel empty and light and overall great . I'm afraid if I ever eat carbs again I'm gonna blow up ?
You won't blow up. Also, a good portion of that weight loss is water. I dont know how many carbs you are eating now, but there are plans that incorporate certain carbs slowly back into the diet.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
You ate too much. Now you're eating less. Of course you're going to feel that way. I felt that way when I ate 1600 calories vs. 2500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss