Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 AM

34 posts, read 77,261 times

Advertisements

Many may find me crazy when i am telling you all to eat more fat to lose weight. But guys I am right. It is also another method to lose weight. For example if you are taking some fatty foods which contains oil and other fatty substances it makes our stomach full and we no longer feels hungry for a longer period of time but when we opt for low fat foods we feel hungry within a short span of time. So better take some healthy fatty foods which enhance our weight loss goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
If you eat the appropriate balanced amounts of food in an appropriate amount for your activity level you will lose weight. Low fat food or low fat dieting can make you hungry. The reason low fat foods that are processed usually replace the fat with sugar which makes the blood sugar spike and drop which naturally creates hunger. A low fat diet can be too low in fat and you body will be driven to eat more due to the insufficient level of fat intake.

The solution is not to eat more fat mindlessly. Overeating fat is not healthy. Eating properly makes one full.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
High fat foods are much more calorie dense than low-fat foods, so the fact that the make you feel full longer should be expected. But, based on volume, they need to make you full for twice the time for it to matter.

One funny thing I've noticed though is that all the people that say to eat fats are....fat. I don't know a single person with a high fat diet that is lean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
A low fat diet can be too low in fat and you body will be driven to eat more due to the insufficient level of fat intake.
Human needs for fats (and only polyunsaturated fats are needed) are relatively small and you don't see obesity in societies that eat very low fat diets, so no, eating low fat doesn't drive you to eat more. Its possible that eating a bunch of processed foods laced with refined sugar may make you over-eat, but that is a different situation than merely "low fat".

Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
No one who is eating a balanced diet needs to add oil and other fats to their diet....especially if you are eating dairy, meat and/or other animal products and foods like avocados and nuts.....vegetables also have fat in them. You can saute in water or broth and save hundreds of calories. I use no oil or added fat and I am healthy and normal weight. I eat no animal products and het adequate fat.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

Human needs for fats (and only polyunsaturated fats are needed) are relatively small and you don't see obesity in societies that eat very low fat diets, so no, eating low fat doesn't drive you to eat more. Its possible that eating a bunch of processed foods laced with refined sugar may make you over-eat, but that is a different situation than merely "low fat".

Lower fat and insufficient fat are two different things. A healthy lower fat diet still has the minimum need of the healthy fats when done correctly but like you said its usually done with the processed low fat foods. If it is too low both of those will make your body have a desire to seek more healthy fat naturally. The person who is eating though may not be aware of the needs and just eat more of whatever to feel full.

Its not just about being obese or not. You can have health problems at any weight if you are lacking in the proper macro-nutrients. You don't want to go overboard of course but eating too little fat is just as bad as eating too much. Just because you are thin doesn't mean you are healthy.

Low-fat Diet Problems | LIVESTRONG.COM

6 Risks of Eating a Low-Fat Diet | SparkPeople

Fat grams: How to track your dietary fat - MayoClinic.com

Discovery Health "How many grams of fat can I eat in a day?"

5 Signs That You Don't Have Enough Fat in Your Diet: Flash: Self.com

Weight Loss Tips - Dieting Tips at WomansDay.com - Woman's Day

I know thats a lot of links but I though some people may enjoy reading about it.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
No one who is eating a balanced diet needs to add oil and other fats to their diet....especially if you are eating dairy, meat and/or other animal products and foods like avocados and nuts.....vegetables also have fat in them. You can saute in water or broth and save hundreds of calories. I use no oil or added fat and I am healthy and normal weight. I eat no animal products and het adequate fat.

Most definitely. I actually have to not add anything on weeks I have beef or dairy because that has more than enough. When eating vegan I usually do need a bit of oil added. My body actually needs a little bit more than the minimum. Without I am prone to dry skin which is a sign of too low fat. My family tree comes from societies that survived on meat heavy diets so I have to assume that is why. There is a huge range of acceptable fat that you can work within. If you have any signs of being to low fat like in the articles posted above, its time to tailor your intake a bit for your body. Same could go for dipping just a touch under. I don't think people realize all the sources of fat too which when they think they are eating X grams of fat they may be having 10 grams or so more. It is a margin of error that is very easy to fall into.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
A healthy lower fat diet still has the minimum need of the healthy fats when done correctly but like you said its usually done with the processed low fat foods.
And, as I said, people only need polyunsaturated fats and the amounts needed are rather small. The human body can synthesis most of the it needs, its only the essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6) that can't be synthesized.

Its almost impossible to eat "too little fat" because virtually everything has small amounts of in it.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The body needs fat. However, high fat high protein diets don't work for women. If you eat fat, make it healthy fat, like avocado, artichokes, nuts (nut oils), salad oils, fish. Don't load up on a lot of animal fat, like sour cream, whipped cream, like some people do when they're on a low-carb diet. Women will gain weight with that, even if they're eating hardly any carbs.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Ruth you don't need added oils...not necessary when you eat nuts, avocados and especially if you eat any animal products. Adding vegetabe oils or added fat to your diet is absolutely not necessary and adds many unneeded calories. One of the easiest ways to cut unneccessary calories is to eliminate added fats and oils from the diet. I eliminated all added fat like oils and butter from my diet 14 months ago, lost a ton of weight and am healthy. I eat tofu, nuts 2 or 3 times a day, avocados, etc. Saute in broth or water....use fresh lemon of lime juice on your salads, learn new ways of using whole, fresh foods...eliminate as many proceeded foods as you can....throw all your oils away.

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-10-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And, as I said, people only need polyunsaturated fats and the amounts needed are rather small. The human body can synthesis most of the it needs, its only the essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6) that can't be synthesized.

Its almost impossible to eat "too little fat" because virtually everything has small amounts of in it.

Depends on what you eat. I know with the food types I eat I do end up too low fat and have dry skin. The minimum is just a tad to low for me. What do you mean can synthesis most of its needs? Any links?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss