Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:22 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,825 times

Advertisements

I eat Primal. My maconutrient ratio is something like 25/35/40 carbs/protein/fat. I can and have consumed a diet high in saturated fat and subsequently lost fat. Heck, after switching to Primal about 2.5 years ago I was eating roughly 1800-2000 calories a day and between 150-170g of fat and lost weight without "trying." I kept my carbs, low glycemic index fruits and vegetables, between 50-75g. Protein was between 125-150g. 1-1.2g for every one pound of lean body mass.

Based on current data, there is NO evidence to support the demonizing of saturated fat. None whatsoever. Simply eating fat does not make one fat. There are many hormones at play that affect and influence fat storage and loss, insulin and leptin. Knowing how these play a role in lipolysis is key to losing fat and keeping it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
I think it's back to the basic idea of just eating a balanced diet of fresh foods.. variety is key and the healthy fats are in there the way nature intended them. Eat bacon and whatever else you want, just don't eat it 3x a day every day of your life. I do believe that eating healthy fats makes you feel more full. Definitely cut out the hydro-franken fats & overly-processed crap as much as you can.
I never understood that anti-fat obsession of the 80's. Don't people understand your body needs fats to function & be healthy, look young, etc...???
I eat bacon, 4+ slices, 4+ times a week. There was a time when I ate it, along with my six eggs, everyday. And I felt awesome and lost weight. Great cholesterol levels and my LDL lowered. Saturated fat is "healthy fat." Fat is the body's preferred method and source of fuel.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaCrunchy View Post
Eating more fat works beautifully for me IF I'm not eating more fat PLUS eating carbs. In the latter case, I get, well, fat.

Eating fairly LC, with plenty of fat, is very sating for me and it definitely keeps my weight under control. My bloodwork is beautiful, too.
Ding, ding, ding. That is key here. You can't mix a high fat and high carb diet. Big no no, and when people complain about others "eating so much fat, so that's why they're fat" they're not actually considering that these individuals are also consuming high carbs with said fat.

For instance, fast food. Having been Primal for a while I tend to know the nutrition make up of typical go-to foods. Typical burger contains about 40-50g of carbs, and a medium fry is about 60-80g. That fountain drink, assuming it's not diet, is about 80+g. That is 185g of carbs for one meal. Now calculate the fat. And then calculate the totals for the next meal and whatever "low fat" snack nonsense one eats.

I eat out a lot, and I enjoy fast food, but I make substitutions, and I choose protein style for my burgers. I also drink water. So if I know I can only have 75g of carbs a day to continue losing fat at an excelerated pace then I obviously can't have fries or that bun, and definitely not the soda. Common sense, ya know. Once one is aware of what's involved in the fat storage/loss process it's not difficult to implement into one's WOL/E (way of life/eating).

Old 01-14-2014, 01:04 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
Did you ever have some fat smeared all over your hands and then without soap try to rinse it off? What's left on the hands? A greasy thick film. Imagine eating fat day in and day out for years, think of the amount of that film building up along the lining of your arteries, making it more narrow as the days pass. This is heart disease, maybe I wrote a crude description of how it develops but it's basically what happens inside your body consuming fat as a major part of your diet. By "fats", I mean the bad fats and not the good ones because there is a obvious distinction there - read Cattknap's post.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:01 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Saturated fat is "healthy fat." Fat is the body's preferred method and source of fuel.
All major health organizations recommend one limit saturated fat as part of a heart healthy diet, the only people that say otherwise are people selling diet books.

Fat is not the body's preferred source of fuel, the body will adjust to what you're eating and different parts of the body have different preferences...which are in turn dependent on your level of activity. Generally speaking, the brain and muscle tissue prefer carbohydrates where as some organs prefer fats. But carbohydrates can be converted into fats, but not the other way around, so a high carbohydrate diet can meet your fat (except the essential fatty acids) and carbohydrate needs.......where as dietary fat just supplies fat.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
I think it's back to the basic idea of just eating a balanced diet of fresh foods.. variety is key and the healthy fats are in there the way nature intended them. Eat bacon and whatever else you want, just don't eat it 3x a day every day of your life. I do believe that eating healthy fats makes you feel more full. Definitely cut out the hydro-franken fats & overly-processed crap as much as you can.
I never understood that anti-fat obsession of the 80's. Don't people understand your body needs fats to function & be healthy, look young, etc...???
Plus, get in that hour of vigorous exercise a day. Two is even better. I pretty much can eat what ever and how ever I want but I eat primal.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Plus, get in that hour of vigorous exercise a day. Two is even better. I pretty much can eat what ever and how ever I want but I eat primal.
CAUTION: OVER EXERCISING IS NOT GOOD MORE IS NOT BETTER. ONE HOUR TOPS IS ALL YOU NEED AND IS PREFERABLE. A FEW SPRINTS, WALKING OR PLAYING TENNIS FOR 40 MINUTES. THAT IS WHERE SCIOENCE HAS SHOWN THE MOST BENEFITS

Heart ARRHYTHMIAS ARE EPIC among triathlete types.

DR JAMES O'KEEFE HAS A VIDEO ABOUT THIS.

MARK SISSON IS A SALESMEN SCAMMER

Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
All major health organizations recommend one limit saturated fat as part of a heart healthy diet, the only people that say otherwise are people selling diet books.

Fat is not the body's preferred source of fuel, the body will adjust to what you're eating and different parts of the body have different preferences...which are in turn dependent on your level of activity. Generally speaking, the brain and muscle tissue prefer carbohydrates where as some organs prefer fats. But carbohydrates can be converted into fats, but not the other way around, so a high carbohydrate diet can meet your fat (except the essential fatty acids) and carbohydrate needs.......where as dietary fat just supplies fat.
Obviously this is untrue; loads of people say otherwise because of their personal experience, which -- gasp! -- runs counter to the advice of "major health organizations." I'll add that major health organizations, believe it or not, have been wrong before.

The brain does indeed prefer carbohydrates, and a saturated fat called palmitic acid, found in much greater quantities in animal foods than in plant foods, actually "turns off" receptors that would otherwise sequester glucose in the muscles, lessening flow to the brain.

Your paranoia -- yes, the word paranoia is warranted here -- about people selling diet books is hilarious given that you doggedly peddle an obviously misleading representation yourself. And don't even get paid for it.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Did you ever have some fat smeared all over your hands and then without soap try to rinse it off? What's left on the hands? A greasy thick film. Imagine eating fat day in and day out for years, think of the amount of that film building up along the lining of your arteries, making it more narrow as the days pass. This is heart disease, maybe I wrote a crude description of how it develops but it's basically what happens inside your body consuming fat as a major part of your diet. By "fats", I mean the bad fats and not the good ones because there is a obvious distinction there - read Cattknap's post.
No it is not heart disease, yes you did write a crude description, and no it's not basically, or even vaguely, what happens inside your body if you consume fat as a major part of your diet.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Obviously this is untrue; loads of people say otherwise because of their personal experience, which -- gasp! -- runs counter to the advice of "major health organizations."
Personal experience isn't evidence and there is an obvious selection bias in terms of people reporting their personal experience, that is, all the people that have dropped dead from heart disease by eating a diet high in saturated fat aren't able to report their health status.....

In any case, the point remembers, the only people promoting diets high in saturated fat are low-carb diet book authors. The scientific consensus is still that one should limit saturated fat intake for heart health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
The brain does indeed prefer carbohydrates, and a saturated fat called palmitic acid, found in much greater quantities in animal foods than in plant foods, actually "turns off" receptors that would otherwise sequester glucose in the muscles, lessening flow to the brain.
Right.....the body can adjust to higher fat intake. All mammals can operate primarily fats as its required during starvation when the body depends on stored body fat......but inducing mechanisms that are meant to keep one alive while starving isn't exactly optimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss